Mia's road to agility

Our Schnauzers love to be active. Have a look which activity will suit your dog. There is everything from Agility, flyball, Rally-O, Cani-X to Schutzhund.
Darwinsmum

Mia's road to agility

Post by Darwinsmum »

In another post Dannie asked if I would do a post on Mia's attempt to become an agility champion (giggle) so I thought I'd let you know what we've been up to so far. I'm a huge fan of clicker training so the first step was to let her know that the click meant a yuumy treat (actually a piece of kibble at this stage but she loves it). We've now progressed to the sit without vocal command and she can also do a 10 second stay. We are learning the down and then we will be working on recall. We do the training in short bouts perhaps while waiting for the kettle to boil to make her meals up.

ooh Mum's got that funny little box that makes a noise, I got a sweetie, how did that happen, ohh if I sit here a look cute I get another one. Wait a minute there's that noise again and another sweetie, I like this game

Sometime's she does get distracted. Yes, I'm waiting, what's that, let me catch it, oh I'm all dizzy, ouch that hurt, is that part of me She sometimes catches sight of her tail out of the corner of her eye and then we have spinning puppy.
Darwin and Mia 2 heatbeats at my feet
A life without dogs - I don't think so!
www.lincsdogtraining.co.uk
Tulip

Re: puppy training

Post by Tulip »

Lololol, spinning puppy. I had to desensitise the clicker because Maisy was scared of it at first. I can't wait to hear more about what you're doing with her! I know you can't start agility properly until she's a year old and fully grown, but were you going to when she's old enough? I don't know whether you do it with Darwin?
Darwinsmum

Post by Darwinsmum »

Darwin and I train at agility but unfortunately he takes great disgust to anybody being in the ring with us so we just have fun, am hoping to do more rallyo with him as the busier he is, the more he concentrates on me and not anyone else. Mia's Mum is a brilliant agility dog and hoping she passed on some of it to Mia, she definitely has the speed. (dogrun)

Can do lots of pre agility stuff with her before a year like getting used to walking between the wings of the jumps and walking along the dog walk while it is flat on the floor and the tunnel (which she loves - have a ToysRus one in the garden), it's just that they are not allowed to jump or put strain on joints and developing bones etc. Also can work on contacts etc.
Joni

Post by Joni »

this is interesting stuff Heather, thanks for posting. I have let my clicker work slip a bit of late. Shall get back to it!
www.clontarfhotel.co.uk
www.mory.co.uk

For holidays in lovely Llandudno, North Wales!
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I loved watching the ones at Crufts - that little Sheltie was SO FAST! :D Maybe we'll see Mia there in some time?
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Post by Sianny »

That's really encouraging for Mia and nice to hear for us who would like to try agility one day, the hard work you have to put in is definitely not to be underestimated!
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
MattW

Post by MattW »

Go Mia - I think every dog owner should do something with their dog. You can both get loads out of it.

Clicker training is great, training seems to progress so fast when its done right. I've now transfered the click to the mubbled word "GUD" (no not good, gud). I found it eaiser as I found I didn't have enough hands. Anyone whos thinking of trying clicker training, please give it a go, no matter what the age of your dog.

Don't shoot the dog by Karen Pryor is a good book to give you an over view.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

sounds like great fun whats rallyo (dogrun)
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

I have made this thread a sticky because i think other members like me will find it interesting and great to follow! thanks for the update so far!
Darwinsmum

Post by Darwinsmum »

RallyO is basically pet dog obedience, not as serious as proper competitive obedience, it has been introduced from America and the APDT (association of pet dog trainers) are promoting it, more information can be found on this website http://www.talkingdogsrally.co.uk the training centre that I instruct at is slowly introducing aspects of it into our Good Citizen classes.

Matt - I used to use the word 'gud' with my goldie but unfortunately any variation of it resulted in him expecting a reward, when I was loose lead training Darwin I used a clicker but also occasionally said good boy (without realising) and I'd find I'd have a goldie nose in my treat pocket!! (I do miss that) Another good book is Clicker Training Your Dog by Karen Pryor. (read)

Oh been made a sticky - no pressure then [laughing]
Pottydottie

Post by Pottydottie »

Great post
Molly (17/6/2005 - 11/9/2016) the 3 Essex girls Gemma, Dottie and Daisy Mae
mookie&me

Post by mookie&me »

Darwinsmum - just checked out that website. It looks really fun but there are no schools even remotely near me (crying) .

Will follow your thread with interest though.
Pottydottie

Post by Pottydottie »

Can not edit my last post meant to say great post, this makes very good reading.
Molly (17/6/2005 - 11/9/2016) the 3 Essex girls Gemma, Dottie and Daisy Mae
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

i edited it for you elaine! yes i think it will be lovely to read and watch mia learn and grow!
Darwinsmum

Post by Darwinsmum »

I know that there are a few of us on here that are involved in training so please jump in and add anything - I'm training with the APDT which promotes kind, fair, reward based learning.

Removing the lure - this came up in another thread, I think Keith mentioned it. Quite often it is easy to use food all the time to get the dog to do what you want, so it's important that once the behaviour you're training is consistant you can remove the lure. It is easier with the clicker as no clicker means no reward, start by having the treat in the other hand, then in the pocket and then randomly reward so the dog doesn't know when it's getting a treat 'it might be this time, so I'll do it incase'.

Mia is now sitting on command so I'm not using the clicker any more for that, but she is occasionally getting a treat or praise or a game of tuggy or the back door opened to go and play in the garden. Down is taking longer but it is early days yet.

A treat doesn't always need to be food, find out what your dog likes, for instance going to the park so if dog pulls go in the other direction, once they realise that they get to the park quicker with out pulling you've done it without food treats. My friend has an entire male and the best reward for him is to go and mark, so she has built it into his training (obviously not indoors so she uses other things).

The only behaviour I always reward each time is the recall but again this can be with food or toy, something that makes you more exciting than the rabbit they're chasing or another dog.