What is Working Trials?

Our Schnauzers love to be active. Have a look which activity will suit your dog. There is everything from Agility, flyball, Rally-O, Cani-X to Schutzhund.
dannie_kl

What is Working Trials?

Post by dannie_kl »

Working trials is something I find very interesting and i seem to enjoy certain components such as tracking a great deal, here you can read all about working trials and its different levels: http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/workingtrials
Three B's
Puppy

Re: What is Working Trials?

Post by Three B's »

Great to see working trials as a separate topic.
I have competed with my mini and love it. I think it is the most challenging of the dog disciplines as it combines nose work, agility and control. It will come as no surprise on this forum that my mini loves the nosework and agility but we struggle with control, especially staying still for the 10 minute down stay!
The biggest problem with trials, from working a mini point of view, is that they only reduce the jump sizes in the bottom 2 stakes (called stakes in trials as opposed to classes). Dogs under 15" do a 2' clear jump, 4' scale and 6' long jump but once you get past the first two stakes you have to do the full size jumps regardless of size of dog, i.e. 3' clear, 6' scale and 9' long. My dog has the nickname 'the grey flea' for his jumping ability but with the best will in the world he is never going to clear a 9' long jump! I think this is discrimination but there are not enough people working 'small' dogs in trials to have a say so come on mini owners give it a go.
It would be fantastic to see all 3 sizes of schnauzer active in trials to give the border collies, labs and shepherds a run for their money.
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

Thanks for the great post Three B's! i enjoy the working trials and i had hoped to have a go at it with my boy but he has such little toy drive so no real enjoyment at the moment for nose work although he did do a fab irretrievable search and indication the other week!
I did feel it was a bit unfair when i looked into the working trials that small dogs seemed to be a bit at an unfair disadvantage but i guess like you say unless people club together and ask for change then it wont change at all!
I'm pleased you liked the working trials sticky, i really wanted there to be information so people can find out about the range of different dog sports available to people and their dog whatever size!
dallen
Puppy

Post by dallen »

I have worked a mini and two giant schnauzers in working trials as well as being treasurer and chairman of the Scottish Working Trials Society and a KC representative on the Working Trials liaison council.
I am more than happy to help anyone get started in trials or put them in touch with people who can help in their area.
*removed email address to prevent spam. Please use the PM function.*
Last edited by Dinkum on 09 Mar 2012, 10:08, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed email address