Dovedale - Annual Schnauzer Walk 2020

Our members organise Schnauzer walks and Schnauzer Events all over the country and you will find all the details here. Join in and make some new friends for you and your Schnauzer. Feel free to share your travel tips here too.
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Dovedale - Annual Schnauzer Walk 2020

Post by BeeBee »

Dovedale - Annual Schnauzer Walk 16th and 17th May 2020

This annual get together started here on the forum in 2012 :)

It's not really organised by anyone, it just happens, it has a life of its own and over the years has become established as a great weekend in the schnauzer calendar. It's been a few years since we've been able to attend but this year we're going :D The last time we had scorching weather if I remember B-) I have many happy memories of the times we've been. It'll be quite a road trip now from here in France for us, so we're making more than a weekend of it.

It's easy to go along to either day and walk as much or as little of the walk as you fancy. As I say, it's not really 'organised' in any official way. Meeting point both days is the car park at Dovedale where people set off from. But, if you don't want to walk the full length to Milldale (3.5miles and back) you could always wait at Milldale for people to come along and just gather for the social bit there where people rest up, have a drink etc. Or, arrange car shares, one car in Dovedale, one in Milldale and use to ferry back if you don't fancy the whole 7 mile walk.

We'll be there with our 4, not sure how much of the walk both days will be done, we'll see on the day, but we will be at Milldale and it would be love to meet anyone from the forum here :)

Here's what Helen posted about it a couple of years ago, nothing's different I've just put this year's dates in.

There are two walks :
Saturday 16th May, Dovedale: meet in the usual area near the refreshment hut near the main entrance and loos at 12.30 and we will all aim to start walking away from there at 1pm and along the river to lovely hamlet of Milldale (loos at Milldale and hopefully Polly's cottage will be serving refreshments from the stable door but be warned we usually create a very long queue and it’s probably the busiest day for them each year). From Milldale people then head back to the car park/start at Dovedale.

Sunday 17th May meet at the same place but a bit earlier at 11.30 and aim to start walking away from there at 12 noon (same walk).

It’s entirely up to everyone how far you walk, it’s about 3&1/2miles to Milldale and obviously the same back but you can turn around and head back at any point (and many do) it’s entirely up to you.

The scenery is stunning and it goes without saying you are responsible for yourself and your dog(s) and must pick up after your dog(s) and also not leave any litter.

The Postcode for the carpark at Dovedale is DE6 2AX it is a big carpark but it can be very busy so please allow yourself plenty of time, you pay the carpark attendant at the gate on the way in (it’s NOT a National Trust Carpark)
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
Lou78
First Name: Louise
Dog #1: Ollie
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 26 Jun 2013

Re: Dovedale - Annual Schnauzer Walk 2020

Post by Lou78 »

This sounds lovely but I always miss it as it is always my birthday weekend! No different this year i am afraid as it is my birthday on the 16th! Also we are having a joint celebration for my Mother in Law's 80th! So, can't really excuse myself! Not sure how we will be fixed for the Sunday either.

It would have been so lovely to meet you eventually... and your puppers of course! It sounds a wonderful walk and i vow we must do it one year before we and Ollie are too old! HAHA!
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Re: Dovedale - Annual Schnauzer Walk 2020

Post by BeeBee »

Lou78 wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 12:23 It would have been so lovely to meet you eventually... and your puppers of course! It sounds a wonderful walk and i vow we must do it one year before we and Ollie are too old! HAHA!
Thank you - it's hard for us nowadays to ever meet anyone! I am looking forwards to catching up with people as much as we can while we're over. The problem with having events at set times is people do have regular things like birthdays - Schnauzerfest is the same for folk, we keep to the same weekends so people can plan but it does have a small downside for some.
But the ASW is a nice weekend, it would be worth your birthday sharing it one year :)
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/