Moving to Australia.

Our members organise Schnauzer walks and Schnauzer Events all over the country and you will find all the details here. Join in and make some new friends for you and your Schnauzer. Feel free to share your travel tips here too.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Moving to Australia.

Post by zeta1454 »

Safe journey Graham and family - look forward to updates when you are settled xx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
redalert
First Name: Sue
Dog #1: Fizz
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 09 Jan 2010
Dog #2: Bo
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 16 Jan 2012

Post by redalert »

God luck to you all, looking forward to hearing about your new life ;)
Eddie
First Name: Graham

Post by Eddie »

After the most harrowing and stressful week of my life I arrived in Australia last Wednesday night. I flew out a day later than Judie and the dogs as I had to tie up some loose ends with the house. Judie and the dogs were on the same flight as far as Dubai then Judie got her flight to Sydney while the dogs had a 9 hour layover before their flight to Melbourne.
The Thursday before we left we took the dogs for their final worming and Frontline which had to be done within 5 days of travel. The vet said there was no record of the first worming which should have been given a month earlier. That was because it wasn't on the schedule provided by our shipping agents and the vet said she couldn't sign off on the Export Certificate because DEFRA states that there must be 2 wormings at least 14 days apart. The dogs had been wormed by us a month previous but that was no good as it wasn't on the official record. I was pretty upset with the shippers as all our belongings had been packed in a container and were on their way and we were really committed to going on the Mon. and Tue. The agent contacted the Dept. of Agriculture in Australia who said they would accept the dogs in to quarantine but we still had a problem because the DEFRA guidelines require the 14 days between treatments. After explaining that Australia was happy to accept the dogs DEFRA agreed to give a derogation which is sort of an official variation to the Export Certificate that the vet was happy to sign. We had a 7.00 am appointment with the vet on the day of departure for the final worming, another Frontline (required by Emirates) and issuing of the Export Certificate.
So, at 8.30 am we arrive at the freight depot in our hired van with the dog crates and our bags in the back and three very nervous dogs in the front. At this stage we did not know if the changed documents would be acceptable to Emirates and we had no plan B. Our stress levels were through the roof.
Thankfully everything worked out and the dogs are now in quarantine in Melbourne and we are trying to settle in Sydney. We engaged a private vet in Melbourne to go and check on the dogs and she said they were in very good shape. We have bought a vehicle and will drive down to Melbourne this Friday in order to collect the dogs Saturday morning and then drive back to Sydney. We could fly the dogs back but we won't do that to them. We're pleased it all seems to be working out but feel quite bad as the poor little buggers have had 3 Frontlines in the last 6 weeks and 3 wormings in the last month. A bit much I think.
We have spent in excess of £12000 bringing the dogs back. I don't regret doing it but feel we have been forced to over medicate the dogs and have probably been charged too much when there is no alternative. The 10 day quarantine costs £100 per dog per day even though Mouse and Reilly are sharing. Anyway we're looking forward to Saturday.
Graham, Judie, Eddie (19-03-07 to 25-07-12), Mouse, Daisy and little Reilly. Image
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Wow what an ordeal :-o So pleased the dog were able to travel, that really would have been a mess if they couldn't. Does seem excessive medication although Aus does seem to be very strict in what they allow in.

Good to hear you're all safe and sound. Looking forward to seeing pictures :-bd
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Gina

Post by Gina »

Not long now until you can start the next phase of your lives all together :)

Using Tapatalk
annettebarney

Post by annettebarney »

How wonderful that you took your animals with you.

Eddie
First Name: Graham

Post by Eddie »

We now have the dogs back. I have never been in gaol (just lucky I guess) but I don't imagine it would be much different to the quarantine place. To get in we had to go through two massive electric gates. No people, we had to speak in to a video camera. The whole procedure was fairly painless but we only saw one actual person. The dogs were pleased to see us but were a bit subdued. Not surprising considering what they had been through. We harnessed them up in the back seat and set off on the nine hour drive back to Sydney.
We are surprised and pleased at how well they have settled in. Jude's Mum has a very big back yard (quarter acre) and we leave the back door open so they just come and go as they please. Mouse spent about half a day tentatively exploring and building her "mind map" and now she runs around quite confidently.
The dogs love the freedom and the mid 20's temperature. They are the happiest they have ever been.
We're still trying to sort out their food but our local shopping centre has a chicken shop where we can buy necks and carcasses for next to nothing. We have been giving them two necks each for breakfast and normal (good quality) dog food for tea. Tonight they had a carcase each which was really well received so we might do that once a week.
Graham, Judie, Eddie (19-03-07 to 25-07-12), Mouse, Daisy and little Reilly. Image
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Glad to hear that you are settled and the whole family are back together again!

Sounds as though the dogs are taking the whole adventure in their stride and I am sure they will soon have forgotten all about the quarantine kennels enjoying their new life in Australia :-)

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Saint Indy
First Name: Susie
Dog #1: Indy
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 06 May 2009

Post by Saint Indy »

Glad to hear you and the dogs are all settled in.

Enjoy your new life in Australia, not sure I could face the move, though the temperature is very appealing :)