Beach Pebbles are not a tasty Treat!

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
EvenLola
Puppy
First Name: Eve
Dog #1: Lola
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 0- 5-2117

Beach Pebbles are not a tasty Treat!

Post by EvenLola »

As a newcomer to owning a mini schnauzer I've had a big wake up call regarding the things they will eat! Our mini, Lola, is recovering after having an operation to remove 5 beach pebbles from her small intestine. One of her favourite activities is chasing and digging out pebbles, it did not occur to me that she would actually swallow them! I now have a container with the most expensive beach pebbles ever. She looks quite fetching in her blue floppy cone but it scares the hell out of the cat!

Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Beach Pebbles are not a tasty Treat!

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Eve, what silly schnauzers they can be. It has always been a fear of mine because we have gravel and stones all around the house. My last boy Oscar swallowed a stone at 6 months after I tried to take it off him and he had to have it removed. I never tried to take anything like that from him again. You would have hoped she would have grown out of doing something like that. Hope Lola gets well soon.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Oh dear,I hope she has a fast recovery.This gulping habit is very difficult to break...we went through this for many months when my girl was a pup...for her it was tiny stones in the garden.I had to take a wet dry Hoover to the topsoil regularly to remove all I could find ...luckily she grew out of the habit around a year.I think her middle name was" leave it" as we did use that command a lot in the first year .She once swallowed a sewing pin...I was only aware when it passed out in her poo...I clean my tiled floors every day,but she managed to find a pin.
I hope your girl is ok and she too grows out of this awful habit fast.
EvenLola
Puppy

Post by EvenLola »

Thanks for the messages, I'm very hopeful that this is a phase and that it has passed. I am taking her to the pebble beach today and will watch her like a hawk.. treats in hand and "leave it!!" at the ready.. The vet couldn't say how long the pebbles had been in her guts ... Interesting that they were all lined up together. Did they pass one by one over a long period of time or did she just go mad one day and eat 5 in a row? I shall never know. Fortunately we have a lawn garden so it's spotting the odd pebble in the grass.. but the beach however, is a very different story. I will go at low tide so that we are on the sand and will have lots of balls for her to chase - hopefully.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Leave it is my very favourite command. It even works with sheep poo now..... :)
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Lola and Julie..we are not alone....seen this????
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-new ... ts-2233822
And even worse. 25 golf balls..
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... eaten.html
EvenLola
Puppy

Post by EvenLola »

Good Grief!! So glad we aren't alone in this. The vet who performed the surgery said she had once removed 10!! tennis balls from a Labrador's stomach! Unbelievable.
We have always been cat owners until we gave in to my daughter's nagging and we got Lola for her.. Cats just would never get into this situation.. or would they???
Al T

Post by Al T »

The amount of times I say with gritted teeth...'put that down NOW'!

I recall someone else stating on here they should have called their Schnauzer 'Dyson' coz it picks up every b****y thing! =))

Hope Lola makes a full recovery

Regards

Al.
Schnauzers turn you soft in the head!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/organize/ ... ab=new_set

Al.

"If a man speaks in the forest & there is no woman to hear him.....is he still wrong"..?? !!