Sneezing - do dogs get colds?!!?

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
Lou78
First Name: Louise
Dog #1: Ollie
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 26 Jun 2013

Sneezing - do dogs get colds?!!?

Post by Lou78 »

This might sound a bit crazy but do dogs get colds? :-\

Since Saturday, Ollie has been having lots of sneezing episodes. He is always quite snuffly and I have heard him sneeze before but this seems more continuous sneezy. It seems to be worse when he goes from indoors to outside or in a morning when he gets up.

OH also said that when they first got outside he was doing a strange cough that he likened to the sound of Donald Duck! I haven't heard this myself so can't comment.

I just wondered if it could be a cold or maybe allergy? I have read some previous posts on Kennel Cough. Could it be this? It is not really a cough though and in himself he seems ok - still eating, playing as normal. He was a bit shivery yesterday when he had beeen out but he had got really wet in the rain. He soon dried off and we put a blanket on him.

Any thoughts, please let me know.

Thanks, Lou
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Sneezing - do dogs get colds?!!?

Post by zeta1454 »

From your description it does sound like "Kennel Cough" which is a canine equivalent of the common cold. In a fit healthy dog it should get better within a few weeks without treatment but you do contact your vet if have any worries - or to make a positive diagnosis.

There is a description of the ailment here:
http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/kennel-cough-in-dogs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If it is confirmed Kennel Cough, you will need to keep Ollie away from other dogs until he is better as it is very contagious.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Lou78

Post by Lou78 »

Thanks Leigh. I will have a read. I was kind of erring towards that myself with just my limited knowledge and reading on here. I know when he last went to the vets, they said they would vaccinate if he was going in kennels but otherwise it wasn't necessary. Now I am thinking should we have asked for it?

He is otherwise healthy, so hopefully he will recover on his own but I think I would be happier if he went to the vet.

This could be awkward as we rely on a dog walker to take him out on days we can't and she has other dogs at the same time. Mmmm...something there to think about. :-\

I see I may need to take some time off to allow for this! That is going to go down well at work at our busiest time! Oh well! :-??
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

It is possible that the vet may decide it is not Kennel Cough which would be good news in more ways than one by the sounds of it :D

However, regarding the vaccine issue, it is not always as straightforward as it sounds. Your vet was right confirming the generally accepted fact that the Kennel Cough vaccine is not usually necessary unless required by boarding establishments.

The Merck Veterinary Manual states that Infectious Tracheobronchitis (Kennel Cough) is a "mild self-limiting disease" unless contracted by aged, debilitated dogs or very young puppies.

The problem is that some dogs actually get ill from having the vaccine and there is certainly a period of time after administering it that require the dog to be kept away from other dogs anyway as they are contagious from the vaccine at that time. The Nobivac Kennel Cough vaccine has these warnings:

"Particularly in very young susceptible puppies, mild discharges from the eyes and nose can occur from the day after vaccination, sometimes accompanied by sneezing and coughing. Signs are generally transient, but in occasional cases may persist for up to four weeks. In animals which show more severe signs, appropriate antibiotic treatment may be indicated.

Only healthy dogs should be vaccinated......unvaccinated dogs may react to the vaccine strains with mild and transient respiratory signs....

Do not administer in conjunction with other intranasal treatments or during antibiotic treatment. No information is available on the safety and efficacy from the use of this vaccine with any other except the live vaccines of the Nobivac series against canine distemper; canine contagious hepatitis caused by canine adenovirus type 1; respiratory disease caused by canine adenovirus type 2 and canine parvovirus disease. It is therefore recommended that no other vaccine should be administered within 14 days before or after vaccination with Nobivac KC.

In case antibiotics are administered within one week after vaccination, the vaccination should be repeated after the antibiotic treatment is finished.

Immunocompromised individuals should avoid any contact with the vaccine and vaccinated dogs for up to six weeks after vaccination."

Just the other day I heard of a puppy that had been vaccinated against KCough suffering a bad reaction where his airways swelled up restricting his breathing - he is now on steroids and antibiotics and cannot continue at his Puppy training class for another four weeks.

Lou78

Post by Lou78 »

Thanks. I would prefer him not to have the vaccine if possible and he will not be staying in kennels so there were no pressures for us to have it done for that reason (as you say, I know some boarding establishments require it).

I think I will get him to the vet tomorrow and hopefully get it resolved one way or the other. How long should I keep him away from other dogs? this is going to be hard for him as he loves other dogs!! He will not like being on the lead.

He doesn't seem in any discomfort and is his normal, naughty self. :D Just to be on the safe side though, I might make alternative arrangements for Friday as I wouldn't want him to pass it on to the other dogs he walks with when he is out with his dog walker. Thanks again.
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

Your vet will be the best to advise how long to keep your dog away from others - if it is actually Kennel Cough. The problem with this illness is that it can be caused by a range of different viruses and bacteria and, if it is the bacteria Bordatella ( the one most often associated with is disease) it can actually continue to be shed into he environment by the dog for months after he has recovered. However, it is almost impossible realistically to restrict a dog for that long so the usual advice is two weeks or a week after all symptoms have gone as he will most likely not be actively contagious himself after this time.

However, do check with your vet to confirm diagnosis and they will be able to advise regarding Ollie's particular situation as to mixing with other dogs :)

Lou78

Post by Lou78 »

Thanks. This is a whole new world to me! I have just spoken to OH who said he is no worse, still a bit sneezy. He doesn't know of any of Ollie's "friends" he plays with who may have had it so I don't know where he might have picked it up from. He went to a different groomer last week so i don't know if that could be it.

In any event, i think he should go to the vet tomorrow, just so we know one way or the other. However, OH doesn't want the thought of the consultation fee for nothing if it isn't K.Cough!

I must admit, two weeks for him to have restricted walks etc is going to seem a long time...for all of us. ~x(

Thanks again for your advice. x
Peter Weilder
First Name: Peter

Post by Peter Weilder »

Less your dog feels uneasiness, less he will rub his nose. This way the possibility of getting hin kennel nose will be less. og is more averse to get focused and on edge when he is engaged, So send him with a portion of his most loved toys like riddle toys or apportioning balls.
kennel nose is not by any means the only choice for the dog owner to go for a vacation.