Bleeding gastroenteritis

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
Bean
Puppy
First Name: Joy
Dog #1: Tilly
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 26 Jun 2020

Bleeding gastroenteritis

Post by Bean »

Tilly has just spent 2 nights in hospital with vomiting and bloody poos. We rushed her in after a night of pooing and vomiting, it was awful. The vet said there’s been a lot of this about! Then, a couple of days ago on Good Morning ITV a vet was saying bleeding gastroenteritis is sweeping across the country. They’re not sure if it’s bacterial or virus! And are asking owners to take their dogs to their vet first sign of vomiting NOT TO WAIT as some dogs have been in hospital for 10 days as they can’t stop the vomiting. You probably already know about this, but thought I’d give you the ‘heads up’. Tilly is fine now but it’s taken a week of meds.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Bleeding gastroenteritis

Post by zeta1454 »

So sorry to hear that Tilly has been so poorly but glad to hear that she is OK now.

There are a number of different causes of haemorrhagic gastroenteritis and miniature schnauzers are one of the breeds thought to be at risk. We have had 2 dogs experience this when young in the past 25 years and it was only once and both recovered fine. It is very frightening though when you do see blood in the poo but the main worry is dehydration which can be fatal if left untreated so it does need a vet visit for sure.

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/ ... is-in-dogs

Currently there does also seem to be a virus circulating countrywide that is affecting dogs of all breeds and was flagged up a couple of years back at about this time of year. It is thought to be a coronavirus specific to dogs and no relation to COVID (!) but does cause serious vomiting. There is more information on this link:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 113550.htm
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Bean
Puppy
First Name: Joy
Dog #1: Tilly
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 26 Jun 2020

Re: Bleeding gastroenteritis

Post by Bean »

After reading the links you kindly provided, it gave me thought as to how Tilly could have come by AHDS. Stress and anxiety were listed. Tilly certainly behaved anxious when builders started to tear down walls upstairs! We’re having bathrooms updated and we moved into the spare bedroom to remove ourselves from the mess. Tilly became quite clingy around this time and starred at me a lot quite closely. I tried to reassure her but maybe this was the cause of her illness. I don’t suppose I’ll ever know, but we’re all left very wary on the walks.