Tick prevention

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Re: Tick prevention

Post by Robin black mini »

I also wanted to make another comment about ticks and schnauzers...I have a st poodle and a mini schnauzer. On each walk we do the poodle can come back with up to twenty small ticks( which are removed as soon as we get home) .The mini may have one or at best two ticks...this has recurred over the last three months,so I wonder if there is a significant difference in their attraction to the ticks?
I read that an African breed,the ridgeback had a hide that was so tough the ticks didn't attach or bother these dogs to any great extent...my thought was genetically the schnauzer is a herding breed,or in the minis case , a breed bred to live on a farm as a ratter...could this breed also have a genetic component to be more resistant to ticks attachment(skin tougher,more resistant for example).
Has anyone come across any literature to this effect?
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

As the Bravecto product has been mentioned on this thread, I thought it worth highlighting that the concerns about side effects to this are mounting as more surgeries promote it to their clients.

We also own affenpinschers as well as miniature schnauzers and the Breed Health Coordinator of the Affenpinscher Club of Great Britain has issued the following warning to owners of this breed:

"The breed health coordinators strongly recommend that the anti flea treatment Bravecto should not be used in Affenpinschers for the time being. We are investigating why the treatment has caused so many adverse reactions including a recent death...."

Reactions are not confined to this small breed however as recent deaths from liver failure following administration have been recorded for Irish terriers, beagles and other breeds and there is a substantial number of people registering on a Facebook page for further information and to share experiences of Bravecto. It is still being monitored by the European Medicines Agency also due to the number of reported adverse reactions.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
alive555
Puppy
First Name: David

Post by alive555 »

I have a lot of experience with ticks so heres my bit

1. You need to use BOTH frontline AND a seresto collar. Frontline will not stop ticks alone with soft haired dogs. Wiry dogs are much less edible apparently !
2. Do not wash your dog too much ticks like the smell of soap !
3. Do not wash you dog after applying frontline for at least a week

that works for me and we have a massive tick problem for years using frontline only.

This is what you need to avoid. I didnt ;-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ehrlichia_canis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this can easily KILL a dog.
BBub
Puppy
First Name: BBub

Post by BBub »

and for anybody in Australia, the paralysis tick.

https://nevs.net.au/tick-paralysis/#definition

https://www.rspcansw.org.au/blog/animal ... is-season/

Just had a mate who took a rescue dog (not a schnauzer) to the south coast where it picked up a paralysis tick. 3 days paralysed in an induced coma with pneumonia, breathing via a ventilator, hooked up to a drip with anti-tick serum at $3000 per day. Luckily the dog has recoved but these are pretty common over here.
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Yikes! Thanks for the info! Glad your mate's dog has recovered.