New Vaccination Guidelines WSAVA

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

New Vaccination Guidelines WSAVA

Post by zeta1454 »

I have posted a link to the new WSAVA guidelines regarding vaccination on a couple of other threads on the Forum but thought that this could do with being a topic in its own right. The Dog World newspaper is publicising the WSAVA guidelines this week and the document is worth reading in full - only 3 pages and no complicated scientific jargon :)

The WSAVA (World Small Animal Veterinary Association) is a global organisation made up of veterinary organisations concerned with companion animals and works to promote continued professional development among its members and research the latest health related information to guide both owners and veterinarians involved with dogs/cats etc.

Vaccination - most particularly annual boosters have been a controversial subject for many years with opinions sharply divided between those who advocate annual vaccination and those who are concerned about the detrimental effects they claim this has on the long-term health of the animals treated as well as cases where a dog suffers an immediate shock or even death on administration of the vaccine.
The latest guidelines for new puppy owners come out strongly in favour of a dramatic reduction in vaccination boosters and states that after the 12 month booster, most dogs and cats have immunity against the core diseases (parvo-virus, hepatitis and distemper) for many years if not for life and should not be boostered again. They also state that non-core vaccines such as leptospirosis and kennel cough should not be given unless there was a specific need for that individual animal due to lifestyle, environment or geographical location. The significant numbers of toy breed dogs suffering acute anaphylaxis after administration of the leptospirosis vaccine has also led them to advise against toy breeds being only ever vaccinated for this in cases where there is a very high risk of exposure.

Vaccination is an important issue and I would encourage everyone to read the document in full:

http://www.wsava.org/sites/default/file ... 2013_0.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Claire Farrington
First Name: Claire

Re: New Vaccination Guidelines WSAVA

Post by Claire Farrington »

Very very interesting. My two are due for their annual check ups and boosters in August so I think I am going to opt for the titer testing first, I have already spoken to the vets last year about this but am definately opting for that first ;)
Properly Trained a man can be a dog's best friend

Sydney (Deansgate) gone to the Rainbow Bridge 19/04/2011 - Run free my little man
Jack (Silversocks Spot On) s/p mini born 10/04/2011
Jill (Silversocks Shana) s/p mini born 11/05/2011
lyndsey + matt
First Name: Lyndsey
Dog #1: Dusty
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 23 Mar 2001
Dog #2: Molly
Born: 17 Jul 2005
Dog #3: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog

Post by lyndsey + matt »

I will definitely titer test Otto next year after his allergic reaction to his 12 month booster. My vet is very pro boosters though so I may have a battle on my hands!
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Post by BeeBee »

That's interesting, I wonder how quickly it will filter into mainstream thinking here.
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
jentucker
First Name: Jeanette
Dog #1: Flint
Born: 21 Jun 2011

Post by jentucker »

My vet isn't into annual boosters. But, their advice differs from this, so will chat to them in Aug when Flint goes for his annual check.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." (Unknown)
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

BeeBee wrote:That's interesting, I wonder how quickly it will filter into mainstream thinking here.
I think a major problem is that many if not most vet practices are not independent in their approach to animal welfare. They have financially rewarding links with major pet food manufacturers e.g. Hills, Royal Canin and with pharmaceutical/drug companies who supply them with wormers, flea treatments and vaccines. This was highlighted when recently some vets were even opposed to free microchipping being offered when the law comes into effect in 2016 on the basis that they would lose revenue from their good deals with microchip companies! This was even though the BVA was instrumental in campaigning for compulsory microchipping in the first place - but for some only if there's profit to be made from it :(

Also many people do not realise what is actually in the jabs their dogs are given - highly dangerous substances are added to the actual vaccine itself to increase its effectiveness and in many instances allergic reactions are caused by these substances over and above any damage to the immune system by repeated exposure to the vaccine.

The following lists some of these:
A range of 'other' substances may be included in animal vaccines, some obscurely named and without clear explanation. A quickly assembled list of current ingredients of dog, cat and horse vaccines (any of which may be incorporated in the dose your animal receives) includes: aluminium, mercury, oil, paraffin oil, patented polymers, acrylics, antibiotics (e.g. gentamycin, polymyxin, amphoteracin B, neomycin, aureomycin, tylosine, natamycine), salts, casein hydrolysate, collagen hydrolysate, sorbitol, sucrose, dextrin, squalene, saponin and derivatives, unspecified surfactants, cholesterol, ovalbumen (egg white), γ-irradiated canine blood serum, canine red blood cells, phosphatidyl choline, formaldehyde, patented oil/surfactant mixes and gelatin. Also not specified are remnants of the cell cultures (see below) on which the viruses are grown in the laboratory. These are from animal tissues (e.g. baby hamster kidney cells). It is worth running an impartial internet search on some of these substances. However, when subjecting your animal to vaccination, it is not simple to discern which particular adjuvants and ancillary substances may be involved in that particular dose. Even your vet is unlikely to know without actively researching the subject

This is from the following website:
http://www.alternativevet.org/FAQ_vaccination.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

Very interesting!

I also wonder where you stand with insurance cover if you are not vaccinating annually.....
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
Mari Obi and Fingal
First Name: Mari
Dog #1: Obi
is a: Black Giant Dog
Dog #2: Fingal
is a: Black Giant Dog

Post by Mari Obi and Fingal »

Thanks for sharing, great news!

I have followed the European advise for few years, and only do annual lepto and kennel cough, rabies and others 3 yearly. Now as Obi is nearly 6 years of age, I'll probably do one more multivaccination in a year or two, and then only rabies and lepto+kc.
Young Fingal will follow the 3-yearly multivaccination program 2 or 3 times in life, with annual lepto+kc.
Mari

"Life is meaningless without a Giant"
http://obinsivut.suntuubi.com/?cat=11
Maureen

Post by Maureen »

Maty wrote:Very interesting!

I also wonder where you stand with insurance cover if you are not vaccinating annually.....
Meg is always out of sorts after her boosters. Last time I had a long discussion with the vet about this since Meg has SLO and I feel it unfair to make her ill. However, he said that if her vaccinations were not kept up to date it was highly likely that my insurance company would use this as a get out clause for not paying up (even if the illness was not related to not being vaccinated). A case of dotting i's and crossing t's. I work for this veterinary practice and am aware of the minefield of insurance for our pets. It would be a good idea to ask our insurance companies for guidance on this.
Maureen & Meg
angieh
First Name: Angie
Dog #1: Monty
Born: 28 Feb 2011

Post by angieh »

Thanks so much for posting that link Leigh. It's something that comes up on other forums very regularly. Cats seem especially to react to annual boosters, some can be really poorly.
Claire Farrington
First Name: Claire

Post by Claire Farrington »

The furkids went for their annual check up last night at the vets which led me into a long discussion about the annual jabs and whether I should titer test first. Hooray they now have a new practice in place were the furkids don't need all core vaccines every year, only Lepto and Kennel cough if needed, which mine do. So no more core vaccines for mine annually, just a titer test after 3 years to see the immunity :-bd
Properly Trained a man can be a dog's best friend

Sydney (Deansgate) gone to the Rainbow Bridge 19/04/2011 - Run free my little man
Jack (Silversocks Spot On) s/p mini born 10/04/2011
Jill (Silversocks Shana) s/p mini born 11/05/2011
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

Claire Farrington wrote:The furkids went for their annual check up last night at the vets which led me into a long discussion about the annual jabs and whether I should titer test first. Hooray they now have a new practice in place were the furkids don't need all core vaccines every year, only Lepto and Kennel cough if needed, which mine do. So no more core vaccines for mine annually, just a titer test after 3 years to see the immunity :-bd
Great news Claire :-bd
It really is crazy how slow some vets practices have been to take this up. I don't know about all the different brands of vaccine but the manufacturers of Nobivac (which I think is one of the primary vaccines used for dogs) themselves state categorically that immunity to the 3 core diseases (distemper, parvo and adenovirus) is at least three years following vaccination and boosters are not needed for those any more frequently. This is from their own website:

Specific claims
An onset of immunity to the canine distemper virus, canine adenovirus and canine parvovirus vaccine components of 1 week and an onset of immunity of 4 weeks to the canine parainfluenza virus vaccine component has been demonstrated following use of the vaccine.

A duration of immunity of at least three years has been established for the canine distemper virus, canine adenovirus and canine parvovirus vaccine components.

The link to the website itself is here if anyone wants to read it in its entirety:
http://www.msd-animal-health.co.uk/Prod ... sheet.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Titer testing too should be becoming a lot more widely used to establish a need before giving vaccines for these core diseases. Thanks for letting us know :)

blackgiant

Post by blackgiant »

The WSAVA guideline specifically states that the Leptospirosis vaccine "can be associated with adverse reactions".
If the guidelines state that "routine vaccination of toy breeds should only be considered in dogs known to have a very high risk of exposure.” why then is it ok for larger breeds? This gives me great cause for concern.

If your dog gets sick because of the vaccinations most insurance companies will not pay out.

Also interesting is this lady http://www.canine-health-concern.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; who is very knowledgeable about vaccines and adverse reactions.

It's about time the veterinary community caught up with scientific advice, this is very interesting reading.
Thank you for posting this

After looking into this issue I am 95% certain that I will not vaccinate my new puppy at all but am still investigating this issue.
Cath in Christchurch
living with
Lottie -Giant P&S
Heidi -Giant Black
Troy -Standard P&S
Suzy - Honorary Schnauzer (aka Standard Poodle)
Arran - Bearded Collie - another Honorary Schnauzer
Clover - Bearded Collie - yet another Honorary Schnauzer
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

blackgiant wrote:After looking into this issue I am 95% certain that I will not vaccinate my new puppy at all but am still investigating this issue.
This is a difficult one. From the personal experience of having lost a puppy due to adverse vaccination reaction, my immediate reaction is similar to yours but obviously there is a case to be made for protecting pups from what are 3 very unpleasant diseases. I did discuss with our homeopathic vet about using homeopathic nosodes as an alternative to vaccination but, from her training in the US, she does not believe in using nososdes as a prophylactic but only to heal an animal who has already contracted a disease. I do understand though that there are differing views on this.

However, as with the WSAVA guidelines given above, I do believe that the safest and most effective way to vaccinate a puppy is to do so when there is little risk of the maternal anti-bodies interfering with the vaccine and to vaccinate only once around 10-12 weeks of age. Subsequently titer tests could be used to see if there are sufficient anti-bodies circulating to offer on-going immunity. Although the vaccine manufacturers in the UK set a 3 year immunity duration, according to our homeopathic vet, in the USA this is set at 7-10 years for the same vaccines :-\

I do also now give a pup a 30c Thuja tablet (homeopathic) 30 minutes before and another 30 minutes after vaccination to help protect against adverse reactions. It is impossible to tell if this really is a help but it sets my mind at rest at a time which I now find extremely frightening until I know the puppy is OK and nothing awful has happened. I was advised by our vet (conventional practice) always to book a vaccination for a puppy/dog early in the morning and on a day of the week when the surgery is open all day so that if any adverse reaction occurs within an hour or so it can hopefully be dealt with as soon as possible by getting them back to the surgery.

It is a difficult subject but good luck with your new puppy whatever you decide to do :)

blackgiant

Post by blackgiant »

Hmmmm

That's why I'm not 100% decided yet - it's possible that I'll do the puppy vaccination but the Beardies can have autoimmune issues so it's made me wary.

Still investigating as I've got time yet to decide
Cath in Christchurch
living with
Lottie -Giant P&S
Heidi -Giant Black
Troy -Standard P&S
Suzy - Honorary Schnauzer (aka Standard Poodle)
Arran - Bearded Collie - another Honorary Schnauzer
Clover - Bearded Collie - yet another Honorary Schnauzer