Trimming your dogs nails

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
Dinkum
Tech Team
First Name: Dean
Dog #1: Rupert RIP
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Watson
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 21 Feb 2012

Trimming your dogs nails

Post by Dinkum »

There have been a few threads recently about nails and whether to trim or not. Here is some advice on why it's important. Long nails can cause 'unseen' pain to your dog.

You can get your dogs quicks to go back if they are too long. You can teach your dog to accept manual nail trimming once they are an adult. it is much more work but consistency pays off. When I first started the dogs hated it. I persevered and trimmed one nail a day. After a month, I could do them all without any problems and it now takes 5 minutes once a week.

When your dog is standing normally, the nails should not be touching the surface they are standing on.

When your dogs nails are too long, then the nail forces the bones into the foot into a different position and this is what causes the pain. Imagine wearing a pair of shoes that are 1.5 sizes too small and your toes are squashed in the front. That is what a dog with long nails is experiencing. It can also lead to joint problems later on

There are two routes to keeping nails short. If you do most of your dog walking on hard surfaces, such as pavements, etc, then the nail will naturally wear itself down. However, it is advisable to still get your dog into the habit of having it nails trimmed because the situation may arise where you cannot walk the dog through illness or injury. You may not be walking but the nails will continue to grow.

The alternative is to trim them weekly. Small amounts at a time will ensure you don't cut into the quick. I use a scissor type trimmer, but there are guillotine types on the market. Some people use handheld electric nail files or dremel hobby tools to trim nails. I'd also recommend getting some blood stop to keep in your first aid kit as accidents happen.

Here is a little picture reference of how to cut the nail and how to get the quick to recede.
Dean (Dog dad)
Rupert, black mini, 24/12/10 - 01/03/24
Watson, black mini born 21/02/12

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Re: Trimming your dogs nails

Post by BeeBee »

All very useful for most dogs :). But when you have a dog that finds having her lead put on a reason to take some deep breaths, nail trimming can be a major event....not to be undertaken too often ;)
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
Cat M
First Name: Cat
Dog #1: Lola
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Mar 2012
Dog #2: Pixie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by Cat M »

I had a great tip from Pixie's fabulous breeders - to use bird claw clippers on tiny puupy nails. We practice tapping them on her paws and then average clipping one nail a day without too much fuss. Pixie says two is pushing it :ymdevil:
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Post by jacdales »

When I intoduced Hamish to the nail clippers I put peanut butter on the back of the hand holding his paw and took the tiniest slither off his nail sometimes I used a bit of bacon or sausage fat coconut oil was not so good because it melted into my skin too fast after each claw was cut a special treat was given sausage or cheese or a bit of roast beef. I did a similar thing for clipping his ears. a smear of the fat/spread on the groming table arm he was so busy licking it he forgot about his ears being touched.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Barney doesn't like his nails being clipped no idea why they've never been cut to the quick and they have got longer than they should. I've decided I'm going to dremmel them and start everything from scratch. I've found a good link for describing the best way to do it so thought this would be an appropriate place to put it
http://www.doberdawn.com/doberdawn/dremel.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
jaegervalder
First Name: Kathleen
Dog #1: Schnapps
Born: 25 Oct 2006
Dog #2: Darcie
Born: 29 Dec 2006
Dog #3: Juno
Born: 0- 0-2010

Post by jaegervalder »

I am considering taken Darcie to the vet for a full anaesthetic!! Then we can do her teeth which are probably worse than anyone can imagine and her nails at the same time. I walk ever morning on pavements just to try to wear them down but I don't think its helping. I have managed occasionally to do the odd one, but when you cant even touch her without her shuddering, anything more is unthinkable.
What also makes it difficult is having hairy toes!!
Schnapps , the lovely big sister to mental Darcie , the untouchable
and now introducing Juno Lucina Sparkle Marzipan Sunshine.....a big name for a big dog!!
and Kathleen! (Oh and Mel, OH!)
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

jaegervalder wrote:I walk ever morning on pavements just to try to wear them down but I don't think its helping.
What also makes it difficult is having hairy toes!!
Barney gets walked a lot on the beach and rock climbs/scrambles over granite rocks but they just never seem to wear down. One of the tips on the link is to get their nails poked through a pair of tights so no hair. Not that easy with Darcie of course :)
Our first family dog
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Frederickdawg
First Name: Freddy
Dog #1: Tobias
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 07 Jul 2021

Post by Frederickdawg »

I was proud about my nail trimming abilities until recently. Two times in a row in two nail trimming sessions are broke blood. Eg cut too high. That ended my confidence , never once had I cut into the quick during the 15 or so years of doing nails. My confidence is shot.
Female black and silver mini born 15.1.14. Gone way too soon. RIP my sweet darling Sept 28 2021 😭 we'll never forgot Cleo. You left a hole in our hearts.

Male black and silver mini born 7.7.21, you naughty boy Tobias. :p “time for jail “. ( crate ).
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

Jasper wont let me near him with clippers he doesnt like the squeeze on his nail. I got one of the new type nail grinders with the guard on. Still havent managed to convince him its a good idea though =)) Its a long work in progress
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08 ... =UTF8&th=1
Our first family dog
Frederickdawg

Post by Frederickdawg »

Dawnspell wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 15:52 Jasper wont let me near him with clippers he doesnt like the squeeze on his nail. I got one of the new type nail grinders with the guard on. Still havent managed to convince him its a good idea though =)) Its a long work in progress
How are you getting along with the nail grinder tool ? I’m hesitant to get one and on the fence
Female black and silver mini born 15.1.14. Gone way too soon. RIP my sweet darling Sept 28 2021 😭 we'll never forgot Cleo. You left a hole in our hearts.

Male black and silver mini born 7.7.21, you naughty boy Tobias. :p “time for jail “. ( crate ).
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

I'm giving it a break at the moment. We've got as far as holding his paw and touching his nail with the grinder turned on and it being there for a few seconds and a quick touch on his nail with the actual grinding part.
Our first family dog
Frederickdawg

Post by Frederickdawg »

Dawnspell wrote: 01 Nov 2021, 10:19 I'm giving it a break at the moment. We've got as far as holding his paw and touching his nail with the grinder turned on and it being there for a few seconds and a quick touch on his nail with the actual grinding part.
Ok, cheers. Keep us posted. I might try this gradual method as well should I buy one.

Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Dawnspell wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 15:52 Jasper wont let me near him with clippers he doesnt like the squeeze on his nail. I got one of the new type nail grinders with the guard on. Still havent managed to convince him its a good idea though =)) Its a long work in progress
Thanks for this, are you concerned about grabbing hair? Or maybe I keep his paw fur too long.....
Also it is fairly quiet?
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

I used to use a normal dremel on Barney, I would never use normal dremel on Jasper as there is the risk of grabbing hair and Jasper is too quick with his movements. I think it would be really difficult to get hair caught in this with the guard on. The dog would have to have really long hair and you not trying trying to hold the hair back at all before it would get trapped. It is really quiet Jasper isnt noise sensitive for things like this so that wasn't an issue for me, but way quieter than my other one.

The reason I'm giving it a break is because I felt I was trying to progress too fast for Jasper because it is slow progress with him. So I needed the break to reset myself so to speak :)) Its so easy to forget to listen to your dog ;)
Our first family dog
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Ok thanks! I have a dremel, I think it has a guard, but not sure....

I take him walking (jogging) so much, he wears down the hairs between his paws and nails, but I think it still needs to be snipped a bit. I was trying to get him accustomed to the snipers, but deep down I'm a bit scared to hit the quick and I know my little prissy Ozzy wouldn't like that 😆 He stops on his walk if a stick gets in between his legs or even if a leaf sticks to his paw. Forget about something touching his bum like the leash if it gets wrapped behind him lol!