Trembling Front Legs

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Trembling Front Legs

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Jo, what advice are you referring to here that might be widely read. I can't see any advice apart from being advised to get checked out by a vet. Posters have just shared experience which is what my original post tried to prompt. Have a care that you don't put people off from responding with their experience, the tone of a post and particularly shouting in caps can often do that.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Not giving anyone any advice here [-x but there is another thread entitled Tremor in front legs
Postby silverlady » 12 Dec 2012, 15:58 that is interesting for anyone who is concerned about trembling/tremor in front legs.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Re: Trembling

Post by Robin black mini »

No shouting from me,my concern was for the dog as always.
(From my understanding ,writing full sentences in capitalsonline is shouting...I rarely shout in real life,so definitely not doing it online..)
Your post above with the waving finger seems more ill mannered to me,but then I'm old school.

If you don't understand my post,move on,but if someone reads raisins are toxic to dogs,or a trembling limb that doesn't resolve after months ,in a young dog should perhaps be investigated,then my time here wasn't wasted.
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Jo you only had to see the response to your post to understand how it was taken. Old school or not "move on" is also very rude. I certainly will not move on when I wrote the original post and am still interested in other experiences. Furthermore I have never commented on your advice re grapes and raisons and you know I haven't so you appear to have misunderstood there. I won't bite at any other posts from you on this though you seem to be intent on being quite confrontational.
Fergus
First Name: colin

Post by Fergus »

The trouble with the internet is, we can't see each others faces or hear the tone of our voices. :-??
Purple_peach
First Name: Autumn
Dog #1: Pippin
Born: 30 Dec 2015
Dog #2: Holly RIP 03.07.18
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Sep 2016
Dog #3: Lola
Born: 24 Apr 2018
is a: Black Mini Bitch

Post by Purple_peach »

Oscar 12345 wrote:Not giving anyone any advice here [-x but there is another thread entitled Tremor in front legs
Postby silverlady » 12 Dec 2012, 15:58 that is interesting for anyone who is concerned about trembling/tremor in front legs.

How interesting Julie, while looking for the post you mentioned I also found another post on here called - Leg tremor Postby Nika C » 06 Jun 2014, 19:12
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Yes, this does seems to be quite common. Otto still hasn't done it since my post. The mention of vitamin C is interesting. I like to give Otto cabbage and he has had cabbage with his meal the last few days and it is high in vitamin C. I shall be testing the theory.
MNMinis
Puppy
First Name: Carole
Dog #1: Addy
Born: 04 Apr 2006
Dog #2: Jaz
Born: 25 Jul 2013

Post by MNMinis »

I had kind of forgotten that our first Schnauzer had trembling front legs--not all the time, however. I also was trying to figure out why it was happening but couldn't come up with anything. Coincidentally, she had developed an autoimmune disease, Symmetrical Lupoid Onocodystrophy (SLO) i.e. sloughing of nails. Not sure that the two were related--and we did get her SLO controlled through medication--but I've since read some pain might cause trembling. I don't think think she was in pain once were got the SLO under control--but the trembling remained a mystery. I've had two other Schnauzers and neither of them trembled nor do they have SLO. It's just a thought to tuck away. Like I said, I never thought the two things were related but never really knew for sure.
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Carole, that's useful to know thank you. I will watch out for that. Can't see anything untoward with his nails at the moment.
Mum_of_Ruby
First Name: Lynne

Post by Mum_of_Ruby »

Ruby came to us at c. 18 months, is now 2. Her front legs -one or other, never both - will sometimes tremble, just as others have described... when sitting and no weight on the leg that trembles.
It doesn't happen often, but we do wonder/worry. I've read through almost all replies here, and am glad I remembered to come back to the forum, as so many Schanuzer mums n dads having the same query or a possible/probable suggestion as to whether it needs a vet to check. So, thank you all.
A few things no one (I think) has yet mentioned is whether it's genetic. Whether it's treatable. Whether it's diet (though someone did mention no grapes) diet.
I also have wondered if it's a general diet related issue. When Ruby came to us, in our excitement we didn't ask her previous owner what she's been used to eating. (Although, as Ruby was horribly matted and had a skin reaction/allergic rash (caused by reaction to the cheap flea treatment they had been using) I doubt I'd have got anything useful from him)
Pointers to any discussion or external links welcome.
(We're in New Zealand, by the way)
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Hello Lynne and welcome to the Forum :-)

There are a number of issues in dogs (and people too) that can be hard to explain and symptoms that could be of no serious concern or could be a sign of something really serious so, as highlighted in the earlier posts, it is not easy to diagnose leg trembling which is most likely a "quirk" similar to leg skipping which is another fairly common miniature schnauzer trait. However, as trembling can indicate a more significant health problem, it is a good idea to have some veterinary advice if you have a trusted vet,

You are right that it could be genetic although this does not help to identify whether it is a behavioural quirk or a health issue as both can be passed on through generations. Toxins could well be a cause either from diet or pharmaceuticals so making sure that Ruby has a good minimally processed diet and avoiding or minimising flea treatments / worming products and vaccines could help.

Generally my approach to any issue with our dogs is to assess whether they are showing signs of distress, pain, unwillingness to play or exercise, loss of appetite, lethargy etc. as a way of deciding whether a vet visit is a priority or whether to wait and see how things progress. I do know some people who have been encouraged to put their dogs through a series of sometimes invasive, costly and stressful tests with no diagnosis at the end for symptoms that were unexplained but had not been really affecting the dog's quality of life and enjoyment of daily living.

It is complicated by not having a full history of Ruby's former life and especially knowing that she was neglected so badly. I quite understand your anxiety too as I am actually a terrible one for worrying over odd things where our dogs are concerned so, if it would put your mind at rest, you could discuss this with your vet but, unless Ruby is showing other concerning symptoms I would not necessarily think this is an emergency situation.

There is a link here with some information on the subject:

https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/ne ... dg_tremors

Do let us know how things work out with Ruby and it would be lovely to see a photo of her too :-)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi Lynne and Ruby, welcome to the forum.

If it is any consolation, Otto still has the trembling legs exactly the same as Ruby. Every now and again, whilst sitting and only when weight is off one leg and both front legs are affected. He will be 2 in July and has had a complete change of diet to being raw fed and this had absolutely no affect on the trembling so I would rule that out. When I was at Crufts this year I spotted a schnauzer doing the same thing when sitting on the grooming table. I asked the breeder about it and she said it was just a muscle twitch that some schnauzers had and she had no idea why and had not seen any genetic reason for it. No other symptoms at all so I have just accepted that's the way he is. Just noticed the number of views on this topic so I guess we aren't the only ones to have this oddity.
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Edie's a twitcher too - Rosie isn't.

I first noticed it on the day we got her home and it only happens when she's sitting down, when she doesn't have her full weight on that leg and it's only occasional. It's something that we've just got used to and I've never mentioned it to the vet.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
GoEmGo
First Name: Emma
Dog #1: Montgomery (Monty)
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 22 Dec 2018

Post by GoEmGo »

Monty also has quivering front legs on occasion when he's sat. He has done ever since we brought him home. Only affects one at a time, but either can be affected. No pain or discomfort at all. We mentioned it on our latest vet visit and she did a thorough check of his joints and manipulated his legs all over the place. Monty was totally unphased by the odd positions his legs were going in! She didn't seem too bothered but said for peace of mind we could have x-rays if he hasn't grown out of it by 1. To be honest I'm not sure we will bother reading people's experiences on here.
Yo Yo 2
First Name: Carole

Post by Yo Yo 2 »

Hi new to the forum and I just got a mini schnauzer and from the day I picked him up i noticed the trembling in his from leg when he sits ..i messaged the breeder and she gave me so many different reasons why that at the end she said bring him back if you dont want him😲 I was shocked because I simply wanted some feed back and really got none but that respond...is this something I should worry about hence I've only had him for 3weeks. Yoki is now going on 11weeks old. Any sound advice appreciated!
Thanks