Rumberly Stomach Not Happy

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
Bracken 01
Puppy
First Name: Annie

Rumberly Stomach Not Happy

Post by Bracken 01 »

Bracken is a strong healthy dog,but very sensitive,every now and again he gets a noisy stomach this makes him shoot off and hide under the table. Also he sits down and almost always turns quickly and smells were his bottom has been this happens every day he has done this from being a puppy and is 4 in May, its as if he is leaking from his anual glands, I have his glands done regularly and they are never full.Also I wipe his bottom with baby wipes he his on raw food, have to be carefull as I look after my Granddaughter.
Going back to his noisy stomach, this bout has been quite bad is poo is ok slightly runney at the end. I have put him on pro kolin which has settled him and his noisy belly, can't think what is causing it. He his terrible when out walking to lick any dogs wee he can find, he has been off his food for last 3 wks, but full of life and playing normally.
Can anybody throw any light on the problem please.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Rumberly Stomach Not Happy

Post by zeta1454 »

Do you feed a "complete" raw food - Natural Instinct or similar - or are you making up his meals yourself? It sounds as though Bracken may have a sensitivity to either a particular meat or other food in his meals. If he has a range of different meats, it may be worth trying him with a single protein for a while and see if you can pinpoint anything that might be triggering his tummy rumbles. It may not be the meat but some vegetable or fruit in his food?

Healthy dogs (especially raw fed dogs) should not really need their anal glands expressed by a vet. Sometimes if there is too little fibre in the diet this can cause a problem so adding e.g. a teaspoon of tinned unsweetened pumpkin can help or cooked mashed sweet potato.

You could also consider a daily probiotic like Yudigest:
http://www.lintbells.com/yudigest-dog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The tablets are made to taste good to a dog so some will just eat them like a treat but, if Bracken is wary of tablets, they can be crushed and added to food. Dogs do lick and eat all sorts of horrible things given half a chance and generally do not get ill from this but it is possible he has picked up a tummy bug from doing this. Male dogs can become very interested (and lick ) the wee of a bitch especially if she is having a season and there can be hormonal changes even in spayed female dogs which seem to give off a scent to other dogs from our observation of our own dogs. A male dog can lose interest in food too if he has the scent of a bitch in heat on his mind!

However, re the tummy issues, I would try a regular probiotic for a while - it cannot do any harm and may solve the problem of itself. If Bracken's poo is runny this will not help his anal glands to work effectively so maybe try to work out if there is any specific food he is sensitive to and/or add some fibre to his food to see if that will help. You could also try Tree Barks Powder from Dorwest Herbs which can help ease digestive pain and upset tummy problems:

https://www.dorwest.com/product/tree-ba ... -and-cats/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Bracken 01
Puppy
First Name: Annie

Post by Bracken 01 »

Bracken is on Natural Instinct for his main meal, Chicken and Lamb, Turkey and tripe, Chicken and Tripe, also Working dog Beef I rotate them. Breakfast I give him 2desert spoons of James Well beloved No Grain Turkey and Vegetables and for treats he has dried fish braids or dried sprats.
I will cut out his kibble, should I change his treats.
Bracken is a quiet dog, his main aim when walking is to pull like a train and pee and lick he will lick bitch or dog pee (every lamp post is a lollipop) he seems to love pee,we stop him as much as we can.
Regarding his anal glands we have them done every 8 to 10wks, he poops 3 to 5 times in the morning, small tiny amounts first 2 times then 2 large amounts.
I thought he was going so much because he was marking with his poop, rather then being consterpated.His poop is normally firm, but when his belly really is noisy his poop gets a bit runney the last time he passes.
This time I think he has picked some bug up, he was fine yesterday but this morning he run under the table and was shaking, he settled again after I give him the prokolin, he pooped twice tonite last time was a bit loose and yellow.How many days can I give him prokolin it says 3 days max, but I am sure I used it longer on my last dog via the Vet.
I will try the Yudigest once his belly settles.
Any idea what is going on when he turns around and sniffs were his bottom has been.Is this normal its as if his bottom or winky ( as we call it ) is leaking he sometimes licks the arear, the carpet or the throw on the settee,I can't feel anything wet. How much time is normal for a dog to lick is winky.
I always had girl dogs before so this behaviour is all new to me. :-\ Thank you.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

I wonder if you are feeding too many different proteins. Might be a good idea to try and get him to settle on a single protein as sounds like your boy has developed a sensitive tummy. I would remove the kibble. My first boy could not eat beef, far too rich for him, lamb made his stool firm like bullets and he was allergic to fresh chicken and turkey. He used to have a very sensitive tummy and suffered from colitis for many years, I blame feeding kibble at an early age although I have no proof. His pooping routine sounds very much like your boy. Only in his much later years did he used to sniff where he had sat and I assumed that something was leaking but he was old at that point. I never however had to have his anal glands expressed in 14.5 years. He occasionally had a rumbling tummy and it used to unsettle him and frighten him but again this was only when he was in later life - over 12.

As for the licking pee, welcome to my world and the world of male schnauzers I assume. I have had two intact males and it is their favourite pastime. Rather disgusting but I can't stop it. I hope you can settle your boy's tum and he returns to normal soon.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Some dogs do get quite agitated when they pass wind or give off a smell from their bottom. Our first mini schnauzer girl used to be like that, jumping up and hiding under the table when it happened, although I don't recall her shaking.

Unless there is a real problem with Bracken's anal glands I would not keep having them manually expressed but try to settle his diet and they should function fine without intervention. As said above, some meats are not well tolerated by some dogs and beef in particular is a strong meat which can cause issues to sensitive digestions. Sprats are relatively high in fat which should not matter if you only give a very few but may cause issues with dogs that are sensitive to fats.

There should not normally be a problem feeding a range of meats to a dog and it is often recommended by raw feeders to do so but it can depend on the individual dog and, if you are trying to see if Bracken is reacting to a specific one, you could experiment with using just one for a while and then moving to another for a while and see if there is any improvement or deterioration depending which he is having.

Dogs can poo several times to mark their territory so of itself that is not anything to worry about and if they do go many times it will likely become softer.

As for licking their private parts that is very much a male dog behaviour and some will do it for quite a while - very much an individual thing as regards timing though!
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/