Spay

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
squidgy100

Spay

Post by squidgy100 »

Not been here for sometime but wanted some knowledgable advice.

Before I discuss with our vets, I wanted to gain some knowledge first.

Minny Bear is in her 4th season, started bleeding 9th April, currently day 13 and very receptive!

She has had a delayed season, due February and had all signs( smelling nice to boys 6 weeks before season, massive swelling but no bleeding) but this was when the weather was cold and we had snowy spells). Everything disappeared and then suddenly about 3-4 weeks later without warning she started bleeding and swelling again.

The vet nurse who was in reception when I went to weigh girls said it needed to be 12 weeks from the end of season and not the start. I find it hard to know when end is unless just counting days.

The reason I’m concerned is if it’s 12 weeks from start we are actually away on holiday so would not be this time round....if it’s from the end (3 weeks approx after bleeding started) then we will be home.

Any advice would be great, I’d like to be able to visit the vets with a little forehand knowledge. Her seasons up to this one have been regular, August, February, August ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All because of Lolah!
http://www.facebook.com/littletugtugs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/littleladydoggycreations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Re: Spay

Post by Robin black mini »

It sounds like this latest season is going normally so here's what I would do..

I count day one as the first sign of spotting blood...then I yellow highlight my calendar for 22 days..the middle week with stars to tell me it's the most at risk,fertile time for my girl...

Then if I wished to spay I would count three months after day 22.( vet nurse is correct )

If you spay too soon eg after two months the hormones are still high and the op is more risky for a bleed due to engorged blood vessels in the uterus.These are the hormones that can push the dog into phantom pregnancy ,classically seen two months after a season in unspayed dog..so spaying early could also cause the dog to present with phantom symptoms too..
If you leave it much later then three months with a dog whose seasons have been erratic,she may come into season early and you are delayed again..

In conclusion ..Id say wait three months after day 22 and spay.