Fluid drain

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
schnauzerfan

Fluid drain

Post by schnauzerfan »

My boy has a growing fat lump right in front of his willy. It (the lump) is going to be removed. My vet has said he will have to have a drain (?!) for the fluid. (I hope this is short term!)
He usually sleeps on my bed but I think this calls for the purchase of a crate and huggy dry nights all round everywhere.
Any useful ideas, please!
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Re: Fluid drain..

Post by Robin black mini »

Hi ,...my dogs have slept on our bed from puppyhood.. :)
I have smaller quilt like cover squares,on bed which I wash daily,on top of my " human "quilt etc..this makes for a quick wash / dry and keeps everyone happy.

I don't think he will need to be relegated to a crate..I would use an elastic type bandage ,with gauze cover on wound ,whilst he recovers.....betadine for the wound to keep sterile .
If your dog has slept with you he will want to be comforted by his routine..this is not the time to pop him in a crate.
The first night home he will crash out and sleep..thereafter ,keep the wound dressed loosely and keep him in his routine.
If he's having a lipoma removed,I am surprised he will need a drain as it's usually a simple surgery..open the skin and remove the fat pocket..
I hope he recovers fast and all goes uneventfully.
You may find he will need to go out in middle of the night for a wee,as the anaesthetics often disrupt their routine schedules...also poos may be delayed..don't worry he will be back to normal within a few days.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Fluid drain

Post by zeta1454 »

Great advice from Jo above.
You could also check out this company's products (for night time use) which are for dog incontinence but may be helpful temporarily for your boy depending on the nature of the "drain". We have used the waterproof blankets for our pups and they are certainly useful as a cover on a sofa or bed too.
https://www.nappypantsfordogs.com/male- ... y-96-c.asp

I hope all goes well with the op. and a swift recovery!
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
schnauzerfan

Post by schnauzerfan »

Thank you both for your re-assurance and tips.
I could do without the midnight walk - I live in Hertfordshire and the county turns off the lights - makes street walking a tad nerve racking!
I do have a JL incontinence sheet on the bed anyway as Henry is a great one for foot baths but I think the nappy pants will be rather better than my old black knickers!
schnauzerfan

Post by schnauzerfan »

ps - Robin black mini - it was you who advised me on fluid therapy for my Lucy. Did I ever say, I did it most nights for a year? I think/hope she was happy. One day I will finish writing up her medical history (rather long!)
Robin black mini

Hi schnauzer fan..I do remember Lucy and our discussion on sub q fluids...I'm so pleased she gave you another year.Renal issues break your heart but when you can stall the progression you thank every day you have with them.
Re the night wee break..no way do mine do a nocturnal walk..I take them into the garden,two mins out and they wee....that's it..
When a dog has had an op they may or may not need this extra opportunity to wee...but definitely not the walk...
Don't forget to carry dog up and down the stairs as the risk to any stitches is valid fo at least six days post op.

Re the drain tube..my human boy has just had an op ( pneumothorax) which did require a drain..it was in for three days,just to give a timeline,if this is required for your dog( which I doubt).
All the best for the op!!!
schnauzerfan

Post by schnauzerfan »

OK! I hope your human is doing well.
And thank you for the reminder about carrying Henry. I sometimes think I would like a Standard, but Henry is 9kg and at the limit of what I can manage!
The garden is a strange thing. He will pee in it in the morning and maybe midday but Lucy never would, hence each night we cross the road 10ish for the last one. And then again if we get up in the early hours. Let's hope he is too drugged up to notice!
schnauzerfan

Post by schnauzerfan »

Good morning! I'm sorry! I did not give enough attention to your comments about your boy having an operation. I hope he is recovering well and that 'pneumothorax' (and I haven't looked up what that is but a hole anywhere can't be nice) is a short term problem.

I have only recently begun to understand that good health is the boon that it is and not something to take for granted. Bless you for taking time to think about my problems.
Robin black mini

Thanks for asking ...my boy is fine now and back at work,yesterday in Paris,with photos having his evening meal on the Seine in a floating restaurant.
I only mentioned him so you would be reassured about the drain..it is uncomfortable to have in and he was so happy to get it out after 3 days..
When does your dog have his op?
You are so right about good health..keeping this dog related I've found 'my mini to be one of the healthiest dogs I've had. i read a great article about dogs that are " dog shaped without exaggeration" are the healthiest dogs..

https://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/2 ... t-dog.html
Ie avoid flat faces, body misproportion. eg ..backs too long ,legs too short,too tall,too small..you get the drift..
I'm a stickler for health tested dogs ,going to a breeder who,knows the history of every dog in their pedigree,a breeder who will travel to get genetic diversity and so on.. For me the mini is an un exaggerated dog...lets hope this bodes well.
schnauzerfan

Post by schnauzerfan »

You may miss this because it has been a while now but the operation has yet to take place.
Early morning walks, Diarrhoea, blood coming out of the bum so into the hospital (Goddards/Mandeville by the Target roundabout). Pancreatitis. That was Monday night he came home Saturday.
I don't agree with visiting but my rehomed girl was demented. Climbing into the washing up bowl below the sink, trying to climb through the washing machine door and so on. So I took her down and the nurse invited us to visit Henry. I should have been quicker on the uptake with my phone camera!
They touched noses through the bars of the crate. OOOH!
Then my vet didn't even want to do his boosters - too hot and him weak. So we are only just beginning to catch up and will get the op done in September.
Nice for your son to have a meal on the seine (though today's Times shows a photo of the new pissoirs which are causing a stir - something for river trippers to ogle!)
Robin black mini

Hi again..I hope your boy is feeling much better after his pancreatis ordeal..we have several posts about this illness ,just put pancreatis in the search box and you will come up with a lot of good suggestions re future diet,and management routines..
Re his op..lipomas can get big,but tend to grow slowly so I'm sure he will be fine to delay till it's cooler and he feels better again..let us know how he gets on.
Whatever you do ,don't revaccinate him in the near future..I don't know what vaccine protocol you follow ,but as he's unwell your vet is right to delay vaccinations...if he was done yearly,do read the new vaccination protocols which explain why dogs no longer need to do annual vaccinations for their base core vaccines.
My own dogs are revaccinated every three years for example...some owners do puppy shots and that's it..there is more info on this aboard...again using the search box,pop in the word vaccinations...lots to read!
schnauzerfan

Post by schnauzerfan »

Thanks for your post and comments. My vet does annual vaccines but not all of them. I would anyway insist on the Lepto. Although I live in a town, we walk in a very busy nature reserve - great feeding place for rats. I talked to a fisherman who had a friend who died form Weil's disease. Which isn't to say we haven't had them in the garden.
There is also a wrinkle in that Henry's KC insurance and I think Pet Plan also want to know when the last vaccinations were. ???? Mad thing is, as you know, they are not needed for the passport scheme.

As for cooler, it has done nothing but rain all today.
schnauzerfan

Post by schnauzerfan »

Zeta! Operation done and THANK YOU for the nappy pant site. I ordered 2 belly bands for Henry with 8 washable nappy pads. They have been brilliant. The lump weighted 470 gms and I think the wound is nearly 7" long. He has had 2 fluid drains and now a week later, there is still a little discharge but they might come out this afternoon. My vets - Joel Street - have a facebook page (I don't and haven't looked). He might be on that. I've sent the vets a photo.
I think most of the staff have had a look and were impressed that he had a nipple replaced!
Anyway, thank you and Jo for your advice - it really helped me.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Great to hear that Henry is doing well and the belly bands have been useful. Paws and fingers crossed for a speedy recovery :-)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/