Deworming

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
Enoshmylove40
First Name: Wilma

Deworming

Post by Enoshmylove40 »

Hey all. I had a bit of a scare with my boy yesterday. Got some deworming powder from a local all in one pharmacy, and after giving it to him he vomited, had diarhee and was very lithargic the whole day, he perked up in the evening. Do you give your dog local deworming stuff, or do they always get their specific meds from the vet? Actually having a check and then deworming etc? How often must I do this? Dont want that for my boy again! Was so traumatic!
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Deworming

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Wilma, have you thought about using worm count where you can test whether your dog has worms before treating. My first schnauzer was always off/down after a worming tablet and now I do not routinely worm. There have been a few posts about worm count/worming recently.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

With a puppy I would never use an over the counter wormer.As you have experienced they are too harsh for a pup with severe side effects.
I have always taken a puppy Faecal sample ,at five months ,to the vet for a worm check..often this reveals eggs of ascaris in the faeces..this often has been introduced when e pup was in the womb,through the placenta..

We always treat with "Drontal for puppies."..well tolerated and easy chewable to give,if needed.

In Italy my adult dogs have to use a heartworm tablet monthly for the warmer months..we use the combo version which covers the four main worm groups as well as heartworm..

In the autumn and winter months I take a Faecal sample to be tested( 16 euros)
If needed We give a drontal table...but rarely needed
Kazzi
First Name: Karen

Post by Kazzi »

Hope you don't mind me jumping onto your post Wilma....
Robin so how often do you faecal test? I'm not sure any of my vets offer this service. There is one holistic vet but he's charging £240 to just have a conversation about what he offers for puppies!!
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

The most popular seems to be https://wormcount.com/ You just send off for a kit in the post
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

You don't need to go through the vet surgery for a faecal worm count test in the UK. You can go direct via Wormcount labs. It is a reasonable cost, swift results emailed to you and you can get advice about the results too I believe, if need be. We have used them several times and they have been fine:

https://wormcount.com/companion-animals/
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Kazzi

Post by Kazzi »

Thanks will take a look.
Robin black mini

Kazzi wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 10:18 Hope you don't mind me jumping onto your post Wilma....
Robin so how often do you faecal test? I'm not sure any of my vets offer this service. There is one holistic vet but he's charging £240 to just have a conversation about what he offers for puppies!!
Kazzi.....that's shocking re visit charge...definitely look for another vet to consult.
I'm in Italy,my vet doesn't charge me to write a prescription or pop in for advice ..
I go three months after they are off their heartworm meds ( which covers worms )just to check they are worm free.
I'd definitely follow the link the uk posters are advising,the worm count charges are fair and an easy way to avoid over medicating your dog ,before you even know if they have a worm burden.
Kazzi

Post by Kazzi »

Thanks Robin, to say I was shocked at the price was an understatement. I am not going to be registering with him!
I've found a practice that sounds good but the receptionist doesn't know the answer to many of my questions such as worm testing & titre testing I need to ask the vet at an appointment. Let's see how patient they are when I bring out my list of questions LOL
Robin black mini

KAzzi.if you ask her if they do Faecal tests ,I bet she will say they do,she was probably thrown by calling it worm testing.
If it were me,I'd phone to ask,then she can answer and you'd not be comitted to an appointment.
Kazzi

Post by Kazzi »

Good point Jo (sorry for mixing your name up....again!!) I'll give different wording a go
GaryThomlinson
First Name: Gary
Dog #1: Penny
Born: 20 Mar 2013
Dog #2: Daisy (Rescue)
Born: 28 Aug 2006

Post by GaryThomlinson »

Have you considered a natural approach rather than chemical? I use diatomaceous earth with my two, mixed into their food causes any parasite to slowly die and be passed naturally.
Gary
Enoshmylove40
First Name: Wilma

Post by Enoshmylove40 »

GaryThomlinson wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 08:29 Have you considered a natural approach rather than chemical? I use diatomaceous earth with my two, mixed into their food causes any parasite to slowly die and be passed naturally.
A friend told me about that, she uses it every 2 months over her dogs food and it works well and is natural with no side effects. perhaps that is the best route. Thank you so much everyone!