Harvest mites

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Harvest mites

Post by zeta1454 »

Thank you for that update, Julie. That sounds a great solution to the problem and being without any nasty spray / chemicals is a real bonus :-bd
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

We are fast approaching that time of year again when these orange blighters start making an appearance. I know how to manage them and eliminate them now which is great but I have been thinking about to keep them getting between the toes which is the only place Otto had them last year. I have tried the smelly stuff cedarcide etc. apple cider vinegar, but they don't keep them away. I now think that for the paws (between the toes is the main problem) it would be better to have some sort of barrier cream. It might mean that the mites move to a different part of the body of course but worth having a go. So speaking out loud and asking for advice really. Do you know of any good protective barrier creams that are harmless to pets that could be applied to the toes? I thought Lintbells did one but it seems to have disappeared... I have Musher's paw wax? Vaseline? Am thinking I could apply with a cotton bud between the toes at the worst time of the year.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Oscar 12345 wrote: 27 Apr 2020, 12:02 We are fast approaching that time of year again when these orange blighters start making an appearance. I know how to manage them and eliminate them now which is great but I have been thinking about to keep them getting between the toes which is the only place Otto had them last year. I have tried the smelly stuff cedarcide etc. apple cider vinegar, but they don't keep them away. I now think that for the paws (between the toes is the main problem) it would be better to have some sort of barrier cream. It might mean that the mites move to a different part of the body of course but worth having a go. So speaking out loud and asking for advice really. Do you know of any good protective barrier creams that are harmless to pets that could be applied to the toes? I thought Lintbells did one but it seems to have disappeared... I have Musher's paw wax? Vaseline? Am thinking I could apply with a cotton bud between the toes at the worst time of the year.
Lintbells have had a revamp of their website and re-naming of their products so if you were looking for the barrier cream it may be this one ?

https://www.lintbells.com/collections/d ... skin-cream

And, although I think you mentioned previously that you had tried Thornit, they do recommend this for paws too - I think just a small amount to use to prevent drying the skin. The advice on the website said:

"Mites can get between the claws, making the animal lick the paw constantly (turning the pads into a lollypop) and then they tear out their fur and finally nibble a hole in themselves.
Treatment - Hold the paw in a plastic bag containing a small amount of THORNIT Canker Powder. Work the powder between the claws, into the pads and a little way up the leg."

Good luck - the mites do sound awful.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Ah yes, that's it, they have renamed it. Brilliant, I shall get some thanks.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.