Average daily water consumption?

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
Lou78
First Name: Louise
Dog #1: Ollie
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 26 Jun 2013

Average daily water consumption?

Post by Lou78 »

HI. Hoping I am overreacting to "something and nothing" here but I am wondering how much water a day Ollie should be drinking? He is 14kg approx (yep, big!) But lanky and slim. You can see his waist and isn't overweight. No other worrying symptoms or issues.

Recently, he seems to be drinking more than usual. Even in the height of the hot summer I couldn't get him to drink much. I have tried to work it out today and reckon he is drinking maybe 1 to 1.5 litres a day. (He is up and about between the hours of 7am and 10pm roughly so that is his "day").

He drinks most of this through the afternoon/evening. What worries me more is I have heard him a couple of times going downstairs in the night for a drink. Then twice in the last week he has had me up in the night for a toilet trip too (this was wee and poop!). His diet hasn't changed and I am hoping I am putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 but once i started Googling. ...I was frightening myself!! What is normal?? Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Average daily water consumption?

Post by Dawnspell »

That sounds a lot of fluid to me. Barney is around 12.5 kg and I would guesstimate at 500ml on an average day. Drinking a lot can be a sign of kidney trouble. I'd be inclined to have a blood test done to rule it out.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Hi Louise,

My dog water bowl (for two dogs) holds just over a litre of water and although we (my wife and I) top it up during the day as my pooches are quite particular about only drinking fresh cold water :( I doubt they get through a litre per day between them. I know that depending on the treats/extras they have been given, they may drink more but I would have thought (and I am no expert, just a loving owner) that between 1l - 1.5l per day for one dog sounds a lot, especially this time of the year (different if it's the height of Summer).

It may be worth, just for your own piece of mind, to make an appointment at the vets to get Ollie checked.

Just one very quick story from me, that hopefully will help - Sasha is now just over a year old, at around 8 months old, I was stroking her and noticed a lump on her cheek. I was mortified. I stroked it some more and could feel it was hard, not soft. I looked around the area but couldn't see anything but decided to make an appointment at the vet to be on the safe side. I told my wife about my concerns and the appointment. She then mentioned that all that week, Sasha when out walking, was rolling around the floor and rubbing her face in the grass!! So then I checked some more, this time with a damp flannel and found the lump to be dried/matted fox poo :ymsick: and after some gentle brushing/wiping/brushing some more, it all came out and she was good as new.

So the moral being, as loving owners we all fear the worst and sometimes it's something more straight forward and simple - I hope it's the same in your case :ymhug:

Mike
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi Louise

An increase in water consumption not associated with hot weather or more exercise is warning sign for all of us. Off to the vets asap to check Ollie out would be my advice also.

Just as an aside, although Otto is quite a bit small than Ollie, he drinks much more water than my last schnauzer but nothing like the amount Ollie is drinking.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Hi Louise,

My two share a water bowl and get through around 750-800ml between them each day.

Just a query. While you say his diet is the same, have you changed the type of treats you give him to ones that may be saltier and causing thirst? One other query I have is has the temperature in your house increased recently? Boiler back on after the summer, underfloor heating back on or fires lit?

If none of these then I'd make a vets appointment and take a fresh sample of his wee with you in a sterile container (you can get them from a chemist or in advance from your vet). They'll probably want to take some bloods and run tests too.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
Lou78

Post by Lou78 »

Thanks all for your advice. Of course, today he has drunk about 600-700ml!!! Now I am wondering, has he always drunk like this....different amounts day to day?!?!? Tbh I am now wondering if I am catastrophising (as I am prone to do!) And imagining things that aren't there! I was so worked up about this last night when I wrote the post it was like I had already talked myself into there being something wrong.

In answer to the question about the heating back on etc, yes it is. Especially after this cold snap. We have had it on more this last week.

He hasn't had different treats or food.

I am monitoring this for a couple of days. Keep the heating on the same.... Measure the water out...keep a log of how much just in case. I hate running to the vet with everything (as does Ollie! ) but if i think he is drinking a lot again, I will do.

Out of interest, how DOES one go about collecting wee from a dog?!
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Here is a link to some help for that. It is easier than you think with a schnauzer that is constantly cocking his leg....

https://www.wikihow.com/Get-a-Urine-Sam ... a-Male-Dog

I would trust your first instincts Louise and take a sample in. You don't have to be overweight to be diabetic and if you know what you are dealing with you can adapt to hopefully reverse any condition. Our heating has been on, log burner, underfloor etc. and Otto isn't drinking any more.
Lou78

Post by Lou78 »

Thanks for that Julie, it looks so simple on the pictures! Yes, he does CONSTANTLY wee when we are out on a street walk! HAHA!

I am going home earlier than normal today so will see how much he has drunk of the 500ml (measured) i left out this morning. I anticipate hardly any as he doesn't drink really (or eat) when we aren't there. I think this is also why I think he drinks a lot as he seems to do most of his drinking from about 1pm til bedtime but he has always done that so was it just because my ears were tuned in to him slurping on Monday that I thought he was drinking more than usual?!

As i said, yesterday he made me out to be a total liar as he had drunk about half the amount he had on Monday. My husband thinks i am totally overreacting....to be fair I do have form! Especially where Ollie is concerned. As he pointed out to me yesterday, I drink a lot of fluids everyday, he drinks probably half as much or less. That's just what we do as individuals. Are dogs the same? Some drink more than others?

So back to the monitoring i think. I can't get a true picture until I know how much he is drinking consistently over the course of a few days.

All these questions are rhetorical... I don't expect a reply!

God, I am a worrier! Wish I could just chill the "flip" out sometimes!

PS. I thought he hadn't had any "different" treats but he does nab some off another dog owner my husband goes walking with. Let's just say they are not always what I would choose!
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

To be honest Louise, I don't think you are that much different to most of us here where our pooches are concerned. They are our priority and so we tend to err on the side of caution a lot of the time and consult a vet.

The internet, as great as it is can also be one of the worst sources of info these days when looking for guidance/help/reassurance - there are SO many differing opinions offered it makes your head spin!
Lou78

Post by Lou78 »

Spot on Mike! Erring on the side of caution soon turn into full on paranoia in my case though!

I now feel like I have made a complete mountain out of a molehill as yesterday Olls literally drank about 300-350ml! Don't think he had touched his water the whole time I was out in the morning. He drank some after his food and some in the evening.

Again, keeping an eye on things but have to say my worry levels have definitely dropped a great deal from Monday!

The internet is amazing but, as with anything, the information can be misleading or translated wrongly! I am as guilty of this with "human diagnoses" too!
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

That's good news Louise. They are a constant worry aren't they. Today mine is that Otto ate something from under a bush. I am convinced that he thinks going for a walk is the equivalent of picking out pre dinner hors d"oeuvres.
Lou78

Post by Lou78 »

You are so right Julie. I sometimes think there isn't a day goes by that i am not worrying about what he is eating/drinking/doing!

"why is he twitching? Does he always do that?"
"why is he scratching that ear a lot?"
"what's that in his beard, NOW?"
"why is he making that strange noise in his sleep?"
"what did he pick up off the pavement that i didn't see?"
"what did he eat that he shouldn't have? Is it going to make him sick?!" etc etc etc!!! AAARRRGGGGHHH!
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Indeed. lol and don't forget,

He's quiet, do you think he is quiet, I think he's quiet, why is he so quiet, I wonder if he is ok, do you think he is ok, he seems to have slept a lot today, perhaps he's tired, why is he tired, do you think he is breathing fast, perhaps it's something he has eaten, not seen him drink today, have you seen him drink today, was that your tummy rumbling or Otto's, shall I take him for a walk, perhaps he wants to go out - oh for goodness sake, just leave the poor dog alone says OH.

Long may it continue for us all!
Lou78

Post by Lou78 »

Oscar 12345 wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 11:22 Indeed. lol and don't forget,

He's quiet, do you think he is quiet, I think he's quiet, why is he so quiet, I wonder if he is ok, do you think he is ok, he seems to have slept a lot today, perhaps he's tired, why is he tired, do you think he is breathing fast, perhaps it's something he has eaten, not seen him drink today, have you seen him drink today, was that your tummy rumbling or Otto's, shall I take him for a walk, perhaps he wants to go out - oh for goodness sake, just leave the poor dog alone says OH.

Long may it continue for us all!
=)) =)) =)) HAHAH! This tickled me! I must say at least two or three of these on a daily basis! The rumbling tummy one...sleeping alot...not sleeping alot! LOL! My OH thinks i am bananas! :-@

The first time he did his weird little twitchy legs when he was asleep I was convinced he was having a fit!

I think this is where my initial worry of him over drinking came from because I filled his water bowl and then my husband also filled it so of course, my immediate thought was "HE HAS DRUNK A LOT TODAY!" Crisis mode ensued!