Barney has kidney failure Again

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Barney has kidney failure Again

Post by Dawnspell »

Its not good his blood levels have gone up from last week. Creatinine levels should be between 44-159 his were 968 last week and over 1000 yesterday :-o His calcium and phosphorus levels have also increased and they were in the high range too. He's also showing signs of anaemia.

He had his kidneys scanned and theres no sign of stones or tumors so that's something they can rule out. More tests today and I have to call around 4ish for results and to see if hes got to stay in another night. Hes still on IV and intravenous antibiotics

We went to see him last night and he was very happy to see us and perky. He's got two bald patches one on either side of his body where they did the scan :D They said he was a good boy and just stood very still while they did the scans no sedation required, and hes not even touched his IV line to try and pull it out. I got a call this morning to say could I take some home cooked food in as he wouldn't eat the prescription food :))
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Thanks for the update Alison. I can't walk past without thinking of him. I'm sure you're finding it difficult to get your day in without him around home.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

I really do hope Barney gets through this - hopefully some home cooked food will make him feel better.

Like Sam said, it must be awful with him not being home.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Poor Barney and you... if only they could talk. Really hope you get some better news soon Alison. Come on Barney...
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

He's home for the weekend [hippo] [hippo]

Still not out of the woods his creatinine level has been in the 700s for past 2 days, his phosphorus has come down a bit, and aneamic. Urine sample is still showing infection. They did X-ray on his kidneys today just to make sure nothing had been missed on the ultra sound.

Hes got 2 different antibiotics to have as well as the kidney meds. Short lead walks just to do his business and generally bed rest. Back to the vets tues morn for more tests, unless we're concerned about anything then we have to take him straight in.

Poor boy he's covered in bald patches where he's been shaved for various things.
Our first family dog
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Great news that little Barney is back home again so bring on those dancing hippos. [hippo] [hippo][hippo] [hippo]

Down to you now Mum for that extra special TLC that only you can give.... :) Come on Barney!
Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Glad to hear he's been released, I'm sure he'll be pleased to be back home in familiar surroundings. How's his demeanour Alison? Doe's he seem perky enough or does he seem to be under the weather?

Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

Schnauzer Sam wrote: 09 Feb 2019, 11:46 Glad to hear he's been released, I'm sure he'll be pleased to be back home in familiar surroundings. How's his demeanour Alison? Doe's he seem perky enough or does he seem to be under the weather?
He's not good Sam. No energy whatsoever, plods about, wants to play but just can't. Mind wise he's on the ball still listening out for noises. He's eating and drinking ok and managing to get all meds down him but he really is a poorly boy.

Being a schnauzer he's putting on a brave face. The vet said yesterday she was amazed how alert he is considering how ill he is. One of the reasons she thought he would be better at home rather than bordom in the kennel at the vets getting cabin fever. The IV lines beneficial effects had hit a plateau which is why he came off and could come home.
Our first family dog
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

I'm so pleased Barney is home with you to recuperate.

Hopefully the home-cooking, medication AND the comfort of actually being back at home, will help him get through this.

Sending Barney big hugs :ymhug:
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

Sending hugs to you all. Glad Barney is home for cuddles x
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
redalert
First Name: Sue
Dog #1: Fizz
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 09 Jan 2010
Dog #2: Bo
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 16 Jan 2012

Post by redalert »

Just read your post and so sorry to hear poor Barney is so poorly. We are sending lots of positive thoughts to you, Barney and your family
Dinkum
Tech Team
First Name: Dean
Dog #1: Rupert RIP
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Watson
Born: 21 Feb 2012

Post by Dinkum »

I do like to see lots of [hippo] at the start of a thread. Sorry to hear about Barney's ill health. Happy to hear that he is home in a familiar environment. Fingers and paws crossed that the vet can made a final diagnosis and Barney will bounce back and be on the road to recovery.
Dean (Dog dad)
Rupert, black mini, 24/12/10 - 01/03/24
Watson, black mini born 21/02/12

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

An update, We've seen glimpses of the Barney we know this past day, he has a bit more energy and wanting to play.

We had the vets this morning. Unfortunately he's still losing weight. He's lost 1.5kg now. He's eating but hasn't got an appetite to start putting weight back on. Stomach ulcers and general sore gut system is a common problem with kidney failure. He's got a hooman medicine to take to line his stomach and settle his system and hopefully make him want to eat, no change yet.

Vet is want to sort out the aneamia so he's had an injection of a hormone that stimulates the bone marrow into producing red blood cells ( hormone is normally produced by the kidneys). This is another hooman prescription med for kidney failure and cheating athletes who want to boost performance. He has another injection on Friday.

Still on 2 different antibiotics for at least another week. Also on pronefra to support kidney function and ipakatine phosphorus binder.

I'm also giving him herbal remedies, have increased his soluble fiber intake ( these absorb toxins so excrete in poo to reduce work done by kidneys) and he's on cbd oil.

He's due for blood test next week to see if there's any improvement. The vet says he's still not out of the woods but was encouraged by how alert he was. Keep those fingers and paws crossed he still needs the healing vibes
Our first family dog
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Oh Alison, delighted that there is some improvement in Barney. Really hope it continues. Sending lots of positive vibes and a super large hug from Otto... :ymhug:

(What is a hooman medicine/prescription?). I wondered if it was human misspelt at first.
Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Hi Alison, not out of the woods but moving in the right direction is encouraging. I hope Barney continues to improve.