Ear Setting/Ear Gluing

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
beadiehl
Puppy
First Name: Bea
Dog #1: Maisy
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 27 Dec 2018

Ear Setting/Ear Gluing

Post by beadiehl »

Hi everyone! I’m wondering if anyone can point me to a good visual/video guide on ear gluing/natural ear setting. I’ve found lots of videos on YouTube, but they are on different dog breeds, for setting ears up vs down, or for schnauzers with cropped ears. My pup, Maisy, has uncropped ears. She’s 12 weeks and teething so this is the right time to do it. I just don’t recall the instructions from the breeder enough to feel confident I can do it correctly. I do have the Tear Mend glue the breeder recommended. But not sure which part of the ear I should apply glue to and where I should place it!

My vet discouraged from doing it at all, saying I’d give her an ear infection if I glued her ears down. I’ve read in other places about the glue leaving bald spots on the pup, so I’m really jumpy about it and appreciate any advice!!

Below is a pic of her and her adorable ears.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Ear Setting/Ear Gluing

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Bea,
Maisy looks lovely with uncropped ears. Here in the UK it is not allowed to crop dogs' ears so we do not see schnauzers with that look at all.
However, regarding the ear "gluing" to keep them down, there are some show people who may do this for a short time while the puppy is teething. The pain from teething can sometimes cause the ears to be lifted from their natural fall but this can correct itself naturally.
Ear set in miniature schnauzers is one of those things which varies a lot in uncropped dogs and trying to alter a natural ear set is probably not worth doing especially if Maisy is not going to be shown.
The glue should be put on the hair rather than the skin so should not cause damage or pain but, if you are certain that you want to do this, it might be better looking for a reputable breeder or groomer who can show you how to do it. Personally I would not do it - Maisy looks adorable and, if her parents had a good ear set, it is likely that she will too and, if her ears lift through teething, they will readjust as she matures.
You can never predict how things turn out anyway as one of our minis who has a beautiful ear set, suffered a haematoma on one of her ears as an adult dog which has resulted in the scar tissue curling her ear slightly. We love her just the same and always would whatever her look :-)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
beadiehl
Puppy

Post by beadiehl »

Thanks zeta1454! Our breeder was quite emphatic about it, so I really appreciate the alternate perspectives. It's all new to me! I'll probably just defer it and perhaps revisit if it looks like her ears start going vertical, which I understand can happen sometimes?

Interesting that cropping is not allowed in the UK. It makes perfect sense to me. Petting those floppy, velvet-soft ears is one of the things I've enjoyed most about Maisy!! #puppybliss
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi Bea, be prepared for ears going absolutely everywhere during teething, I thought my Otto was turning into a bat. :D What does help is keeping the hair long on the top of the ears as the extra weight can help and also gently massaging the fold of the ear which most schnauzers love anyway.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
beadiehl
Puppy

Post by beadiehl »

Thank you Oscar! She does love the ear rubs!! ☺️