Father's Day Drama

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Father's Day Drama

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Sam, have you thought about getting a dog epi-pen now you know Edie is severely allergic. Your event has got me a little worried in case we can't get to a vet and we have the same issue. Saw a post this morning on a different site that said an 18 month old schnauzer died after a bee sting :(
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Oscar 12345 wrote: 18 Jun 2019, 18:39 Sam, have you thought about getting a dog epi-pen now you know Edie is severely allergic. Your event has got me a little worried in case we can't get to a vet and we have the same issue. Saw a post this morning on a different site that said an 18 month old schnauzer died after a bee sting :(
I have asked the vet Julie. They are investigating for me but they believe that they are unable to issue me with one just in case. It's not the done thing with the BVA apparantly.

Even if they could, it also appears that the smallest pen (one for a child) is only for dogs over 15 kg and under 25 and needs to be changed every year. They use epinephrine which they draw up out of a vial that has an even shorter shelf life.

I read that there's a nasal spray in development that might hit the market next year but whether it'll be available to pets, I don't know.

Regarding the report of the fatality, I must confess that I thought we were going to lose Edie when I first saw her lying on the floor and couldn't get any response from her.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Interesting, thanks for that info. We were going to take a walk around a lavender farm near us as they are open for people and dogs for 8 weeks in the year. Perhaps not the wisest thing to do with a dog.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.