Health issue - Potential Anal Glands

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
Ann-harden
First Name: Ann

Health issue - Potential Anal Glands

Post by Ann-harden »

Good Morning All I have just joined the forum as I am getting to my wits end worrying about my beautiful mini schnauzer Belle x she is the most wonderful friend
I have ever had. Just recently she has started to have a problem when she goes for a Pooh, all starts well good and healthy, but after about two Pooh’s on a walk
Things change she starts going more often and can do anything up to 10 or more ending up straining and has bleed on several occasions.She does suddenly jump up and scurry off, often turning her head round smelling her bottom and where she has been sitting.Sitting down for no reason when out. I have taken her to the vets she has had tablets,Sachets of powder to put on her food, Blood tests came back with no serious issues, we have seen an improvement but is still not right. I am about to
Take a water sample in for tests. She is well, eating, drinking normally happy and playful.
I need advice from other experienced Schnauzer owners as Belle is my first dog and I’m unsure what I can do to help her I hate seeing her struggle on the walks
She so loves and her trips to the beach rolling in the sand. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading this rather long post, but it’s good to speak
To other Schnauzer owners.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Health issue

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Aw, welcome Ann and Belle, great photo. Could you give us some idea of Belle's diet and treats please. You say just recently this has started to happen, has there been any changes to her diet or treats? Any flea/worming treatments or vaccinations around the time it started? Just trying to obtain a fuller picture.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

In addition to what Julie asks, is there something she could have been eating without you knowing ?

My previous boy had a similar issue, turned out to be him picking off pyracantha berries from the bush in the garden. He was a few years old and had never gone for them before so dont know why. Dug up the bush and no more problems.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Did the vet check her anal glands?

My boy mini when he was a pup had an anal gland issue with infection (he was my 1st dog). He would lick at his bottom, spin around and check his bottom and where he was sitting. I remember he would sometimes strain to poop and he would try to poop until it was just drops. He also had a bit of blood when the vet checked him and the vet said that was infection.

His poop was often not firm enough to compress the glands and I think that started it, but I know jumping up and checking out the bum area is a symptom of anal gland compaction.

PS I love your picture with your girl, my present boy helps me with yardwork as well! ;)
Ann-harden

Post by Ann-harden »

Hi, Thank you for your responses Belle has had her anal glands squeezed, she did have worming tablets in or around August September and it was 2 tablets not the usual one the vet gives me, so I will mention that on Wednesday when I take her water sample in. Her diet is the same Orijen dried food it is a quality product 90%
Meat 10% vegetables. I always try buy quality ones,Belle loves Gravy bones so she has had those recently just because I thought they are cereal based and it may have helped her. Schnauzerluv your mini boy problem sounds exactly like Belle’s issues, did you manage to resolve his issue and if so how, I will keep an eye on Belle and make sure she isn’t eating anything out of the garden, but normally she is to busy playing with her frizbi. Any advice from you all is much appreciated, I hate seeing her
distressed. Once again thank you
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Hi there, it was Snoop who had the anal gland issues and yes it sounds very much the same. He got antibiotics for the infection and I switched his food to one that agreed better and made his poop firm when he switched to adult food. After the initial compaction, and maybe with the firmer poops, it was never an issue again.

Origen is indeed one of the best dry foods IMO (I feed Acana now) and if her poops are nice and firm, it shouldn't be from that, I wouldn't think. I guess the glands could stay filled for other reasons or maybe something else related to them.....My boy now Ozzy has good poops on Acana. She had her glands emptied at the vet the last time when symtoms started? The vet didn't mention anything? When the vet emptied Snoop's glands, some blood was on the tissue.

She is eating, drinking and playing normally so that's a good sign. I hope you get it figured out!
Ann-harden

Re: Health issue - Potential Anal Glands

Post by Ann-harden »

Hi Kat, thank you for getting back to me, I’ve spoken with the vet today Belle’s water results came back showing a little bit of protein, so she wants to see her
Monday, to examine her again. So have to wait and see if anything comes to light.so glad everything turned out well for Snoop. I am considering changing her food
For something a bit lighter see if it helps, anything is worth a try.