Hugo’s Hopeful Life Extending Experience

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Hugo’s Hopeful Life Extending Experience

Post by zeta1454 »

Thank you for the update and wonderful news that all has been going well with Hugo post-op.

I do hope that you have many many months ahead to enjoy life with him - never underestimate the resilience and determination of a schnauzer!

Do keep posting here re Hugo’s progress and it would be lovely to see photos of him too :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Aw, that's great news and long may it continue.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

That's really good to hear :ymblushing: so pleased he's doing well.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
lj_thorne
First Name: Lisa
Dog #1: Barnaby
Born: 16 Oct 2010
Dog #2: Albert
Born: 24 Jul 2012
Dog #3: Sherman
Born: 21 Sep 2014

Post by lj_thorne »

I just wanted to say I have just read your thread and didn’t want to not say anything as Hugo sounds like an amazing lad and so lucky to have you both as his parents.

I hope he continues to do well post op.
Human slave to my three furry boys Albert, Sherman and Rupert the Bear

Barnaby 🌈

https://m.facebook.com/schnauzerlads/
HugoBrum
First Name: Doug
Dog #1: Hugo
is a: Black Giant Dog
Born: 28 Feb 2017
Dog #2: Nina
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Born: 29 Nov 2019

Post by HugoBrum »

It has been over a couple of months since an update of Hugo’s welfare which I suppose, no news is good news. Well, yes that is true. Anyway, time for an update and as I write this, Hugo is lying down next to me with his front paw occasionally touching my knee seeking attention as he does, and attention he gets too!

Well, it is nearly three months since we found out about Hugo and eleven weeks since his operation to remove the cancerous leg but currently he is still doing fine. No issues getting around on his three legs for sure but we still keep an close eye on him when he moves about, sometimes he forgets he has only three legs! We just have this fear what happens if he does something to remaining hind leg!

Sadly, we do not take him for walks as there are lot of dogs in our area and we would not to put in danger as we are aware other dogs may take advantage of his disability. However, he clearly misses mixing with other dogs / animals as any that come up on the television, he looks and whimpers a little. That makes us sad. However, he has the run of the house and the back garden too, were on occasions he chases the birds away!

Although for a short while, he returned to his wet dog food, Hugo now puts his nose up at it now and so he gets fed with boiled chicken, potatoes, rice, etc and along with his favourite, liver. Occasionally he has boiled fish, but not so keen on it but will eat it if push comes to shove. When we have a roast dinner, he gets one too! Remainder of his food, includes cheese on toast, his normal dry biccies and chew / teeth bars. So he certainly not hungry and his appetite remains.

Hugo does get tired occasionally but that is no surprise considering alot of weight is on his sole rear leg. His large rest pen is still at the front of the lounge overlooking the front of our house and enjoys barking at strangers and some of the local kids too. His tail continues to wag alot when some ‘excitement / something new’ around too which is always nice to see.

As for my wife and I, we are still taking one day at a time approach and waking up each morning, wondering what we going down too when we see Hugo, clearly hoping is it like the previous day. Now and then, our thoughts drift and thinking of sometime in the future when the day arrives with the fatal decision has to be made. Thinking of that, breaks our hearts and occasionally a few tears flow knowing we are really going to miss Hugo, as he has been part of our daily lives. However, we still can’t help thinking life is very cruel and you ask yourself, why especially when he is still young? :(

However, he is thankfully here and still puts a smile, makes us laugh too as Hugo is such a fantastic loving character and we continue to give him all the love and attention he deserves.

So that ends my update and hopefully still a few more to go. One can hope. :)
Nina But never forget Hugo.
My owners are Doug and Glynis
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

Thats a great update to read, long may it continue :-bd Dogs are such resilient creatures taking most things in their stride.
Our first family dog
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

So pleased to hear that Hugo is still enjoying life with you and hope that you have much more time with him to come. Thank you for sharing the update :)

Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

So lovely to hear and love that Hugo is getting the food he really likes. He sounds very special and you are living every day with him. Long may it continue.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
HugoBrum

Post by HugoBrum »

Well another untimely update unfortunately. My last entry was of no news is good news and we were happy at that but as we all know life changes in a second, let alone minutes, hours etc.

We all always said we take things one day at a time but about 10 days ago our Hugo was starting not to be himself sadly. Initially as we all do I suspect with our family furry friends, he was just having an off day so it was case of keeping an eye on him. We began to realise all was not well as he began to be a more fussy with his eating and started to struggle getting up and down off his rear hind leg. Well with his weight, and no surprise his single leg would get tired. So we booked a Vet appointment for last Thursday in order to cover all bases just in case he just needed a pick me up or something, well you never know but just to make sure we were not missing anything. Anyway, the Vet (Claire) confirmed it was not going to any better and was given extra medication to make him comfortable as possible. She said his breathing etc were fine, no obvious signs of discomfort but we all know how good dogs can be hiding things.

Given a couple of days to the medication to kick in, there was no obvious sign of improvement, if fact slowly getting worst. We did manage a couple of short walks near our home which he seem to enjoy getting his sniffing nose back into full working order but again getting tired which was no susprise. Walking was the least of his issues as clearly sitting / lying down and getting up are the real problems now to the point we need to assist Hugo. Previously he just got up and down, along with jumping on to the sofa. Once up, he is fine but taking his time, with very occasionally his rear hind leg gives in. The last two days, he is getting more fussy with his food and now putting his nose up at food he previously gulped down, to the point we are now giving him biccies, ham, chew bars etc to keep him going hoping we find something he enjoys as a meal but to no avail.

Now we realise, we have seen the best of days and it is now waiting for the envitable. However, as most members realise, you cannot sit and watch your furry friend do that, it is just being cruel and adding more misery for all concerned especially for the one that matters most, Hugo! He just does not look a happy dog.

We have now taken the extremely hard decision to welcome ‘Rainbow Bridge’ in a couple of days time. Why you ask a couple of days though, which is a fair question to ask? The thought of Hugo travels in a vehicle, walk in (just), then encounter a lift to the Vets, that Hugo is not keen on was not fair on him what so ever and prolongs the agony and pain for all. We just want him to go in the best way he throughly deserves (tears are streaming down my face at the moment as I write this), Hugo deserves much much better. So we have chosen the ‘home’ option, the only option I suppose. Although there were options for late today and tomorow (3pm) it would of been all rushed or could not get the cremation arrangements in place, being late in the afternoon. Anyway, we have manage to get everything arrange for Thursday morning and afternoon very sadly. Wow, it is going to be extremely difficult in the meantime and on the day too but we just want to say farewell in the way he fully deserves and not wanting for anything including much love and affection.

Well, I will leave things there, I needed to write that but will post again, no doubt some time in the future but when, I am not sure. Thank you for reading, understanding and take care please.
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

Doug and Glynis - my thoughts are with you and Hugo. Bless you for the love and care you have given him and the courage to think only of his needs and not prolonging his suffering now this bridge has been reached. No words can really bring comfort at such a heartbreaking time I know but I will be thinking of you on Thursday and send love to you all - take care.

Moustache_dog
First Name: Jennifer
Dog #1: Bertie
Born: 12 May 2012
Dog #2: Casper
Born: 07 Apr 2013
Dog #3: Mabel
Born: 20 Aug 2021
is a: White Mini Bitch

Post by Moustache_dog »

I’m really sorry about Hugo. How absolutely heartbreaking. I never really know what to say in these circumstances but felt I should because we lost Bertie, our 9 year old mini, out of the blue last Thursday, and this forum really helped me not feel so alone.

Again, I’m so sorry for you & your beautiful Hugo x
Bertie B-ram - the biggest character, left far too soon (12/05/12 - 20/05/21),
Casper & Mabel - our little white maniacs
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

I’m so sorry to read about Hugo such a beautiful boy, absolutely devastating for you my thoughts are with you having to lose your handsome boy at such a young age. It hurts so so much & I do know exactly how you will be feeling having been there a few years ago.

I’m so sorry my heart goes out to you, thinking about you at such a sad time sending hugs
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

I'm so sorry to hear this sad news but you gave him a last chance at life and he did well in the time he had left. Now you are making the best decision again by having the vet come to the house. We did this for our beloved Barney he wasnt bothered by the vets but being at home in my arms while he drifted off into his final sleep was where he would have wanted to be. It was the best for us too and it will be for you too when you look back.
Our first family dog
HugoBrum

Post by HugoBrum »

I just thought to upload a few images of Hugo, to remember him (28 February 2017 to 27th May 2021).

How can you not love him - he was something special.

I will write a proper post about recent days sometime in the near/mid future. :(

April 2017 Image July 2017 Image December 2017 Image
June 2018 Image April 2020 Image January 2021 Image
January 2021 Image April 2021 Image
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

Such a handsome dog. Thank you for sharing those photos and I can see how special Hugo was to you both. Thinking of you - take care :ymhug: