Hugo’s Hopeful Life Extending Experience

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
HugoBrum
First Name: Doug
Dog #1: Hugo
is a: Black Giant Dog
Born: 28 Feb 2017
Dog #2: Nina
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Born: 29 Nov 2019

Re: Hugo’s Hopeful Life Extending Experience

Post by HugoBrum »

Following on from my last entry, I did write I would follow up on what is now very sadly the final chapter of Hugo’s Life Extending Experience. Where do I start, not sure I suppose, may be I do not wish to write about it but I will. May be it is part of the healing process?

The last couple of day’s of Hugo’s life was extremely hard and difficult knowing what the outcome was going to be. Hugo continued much to our amazement as best as he could but it was a case of either him standing up / walking around or lying / sitting down, what happened in between was continious assistance from my wife and I which was not what Hugo was about. He had always been active, continued to sniff around and play with his toy’s whether his rope tugs, squeeky balls, or soft cuddly monkey, donkey and duck! Regardless, we knew in our heart of hearts, he could not carry on.

Food wise, it was just now pieces of ham, biccies and chew bars along with plenty of water. Very unlike Hugo as he was always a good eater of anything and almost everything! Over the two days, we made a big fuss of him, plenty of cuddles but my god our emotionals were all over the place. Trying to remain positive was almost impossible.

The last evening before I went to bed, I sat with him in his pen, cuddled him and cried my eyes out, it was just heartbreaking but manage to finally get to bed after Hugo doozed off. I am not sure that either my wife and I got any sleep but Thursday morning was finally here! As it was a sunny morning, we spent our last hours with Hugo in the garden, giving him ham, biccies and water, just making sure he was ok. By sheer good fortune, my wife knew the Vet who was visiting our home, his name was Andrea, he had previously worked with my wife. It occurred to me that we could say our farewell in the garden rather than inside the house which were Hugo was always content to be. Well with a little luck, peace and quietness along with the flowers, birds and bees, Hugo could go in calmness and peace, and being by his loved ones too (yes, tears streaming down my face as I write this).

Andrea had now arrived and when he entered the garden, Hugo started barking at him. You know the deep barks that Giant Schanauzers are known for, that was totally unexpected but it was like the last hurrah for him. Neither of us will never forget that as long as we live. Anyway the moment had come and we lied down with him giving him cuddles but for me personally it was to hold his right front paw as that was the one he always presented to me for attention and biccies of course! Hugo then went to Rainbow Bridge peacefully in the garden, sun shinning, flowers blooming with birds and bees buzzing about too. It was nice but oh so heartbreaking too.

Andrea had confirmed he had a couple of ‘lumps’ in his remaining hind leg which explained Hugo’s troubles of getting up and down. He had said, that Hugo was one hell of a brave dog as he clearly was carrying on with life in the best he could regardless of any pain or discomfort he was hiding from us. Andrea said Hugo was ‘incredible’ and says alot about his character too.

Afterwards, time had come to place Hugo in my car for the 45 minute journey to Leyland Pet Crematorium were he was going to be cremated. We had already decided to keep his ashes in a wooden casket, along with imprint of his paw on a card and from a form pad too. We had collected 2 mth old Hugo from a breeder in Morecambe via the M6 and now found ourselves going in the opposite direction on the M6 to the crematorium. How strange! Three hours later, he was home again!

The early morning after, I found my self sitting in his empty pen surrounded by his unique smell, toys, bedding as if he was in the garden but tears streaming down my face. Since then, we have found ourselves lost, the house seems to be devoid of life, just too quiet with now and then a moment when you think Hugo is just there but it is a figment of your imagination! From a personal point of view and not if the grief and lost by my dear wife is any less but Hugo was my ‘mate’ were he was always there especially in the last 14 months while I have been furloughed, were we have been constant comparisons each and every day! Now, it is just me on my own in the house!

Well, if you got this far reading the above, you have done well indeed but I know many many other dog lovers have been through this and they know it is horrible and heart breaking but life goes on. As for the future, nothing has change our mind since February when Hugo was initially diagnosed, that we will not be getting another dog. We maintain that view as simply we cannot go through the emotional turmoil and heartbreak of this again, it is too much to bear! It was only over four years ago, we lost Kaiser our 7yr old German Shepherd to the dreaded ‘C’ and if we got another dog, we would be constantly asking questions if this dog will be affected too! We cannot go through that unfortunately even with the best will in the world. All we will know, life will never be the same again!

So that is the end of ‘Hugo’s Life Extending Experience’ sadly but if the moderators do not mind, I wish to remain a member on here and call in from time to time just to see how other Schnauzer owners are enjoying their four legged friends.

Finally, thank you to all who have replied and sent their good wishes, it has been really appreciated but we WILL hold on those great memories of Hugo, it has been a priviledge of being his parents, Doug and Glynis. x
Nina But never forget Hugo.
My owners are Doug and Glynis
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Dear Doug and Glynis - thank you for sharing the hopeful and heartbreaking times you have been through with Hugo in the past months and for the beautiful description of your last day with your beloved schnauzer there beside you. Hugo will remain in your hearts always and will be there with you in spirit every time memories spring up or when you are just thinking about him.

You have shown courage as did Hugo in making the kindest decision for him and making that saddest of days also one of peace and natural beauty in the surroundings.

No words can ease the pain of bereavement as I know from such losses in the past and the tears came pouring down reading your post and remembering..but you are both in my thoughts and of course welcome to remain as members of the Forum and to contribute if you ever wish to from your experience of living with and loving a Giant Schnauzer.

Take care :ymhug:
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

I managed to get part way down the page before the tears started. It will be a comfort in the future to know he had a peaceful end. Sad that he will be your last dog, but then I guess that makes him extra special too and as you say it is heartbreaking to go through illness followed by bereavement.

Everyone is welcome to join in whether they have a dog or not. Theres always something you can contribute. Both of you take care :ymhug:
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

I could hardly read your for tears had to have a few attempts…….So sorry to read this losing your lovely Hugo is absolutely heartbreaking from reading your posts he’s had a great life but sadly it’s been so short for you all. Know you will be devastated & will miss him so so much. I’m also sorry to read that he will have been your one & only, & that has made him so special. Thank you for sharing his last day with you, that must of been really hard to write but certainly shows how much your special boy was loved & so much.

I know how you feel as I was devastated when I lost my first girl but I needed another to help ease the pain admit I felt so guilty but it certainly has helped. Don’t get me wrong I still miss her & always will as she was so special but I have a super wee boy in my life who helps to make me smile again.

I feel for you as Hugo will be a big miss, & will have left a huge gap in your life. Take care sorry I didn’t reply sooner x
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
HugoBrum

Post by HugoBrum »

Dawnspell wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 10:45 I managed to get part way down the page before the tears started. It will be a comfort in the future to know he had a peaceful end. Sad that he will be your last dog, but then I guess that makes him extra special too and as you say it is heartbreaking to go through illness followed by bereavement. Everyone is welcome to join in whether they have a dog or not. Theres always something you can contribute. Both of you take care :ymhug:
schnauzer wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 17:20 I could hardly read your for tears had to have a few attempts…….So sorry to read this losing your lovely Hugo is absolutely heartbreaking from reading your posts he’s had a great life but sadly it’s been so short for you all. Know you will be devastated & will miss him so so much. I’m also sorry to read that he will have been your one & only, & that has made him so special. Thank you for sharing his last day with you, that must of been really hard to write but certainly shows how much your special boy was loved & so much.
I know how you feel as I was devastated when I lost my first girl but I needed another to help ease the pain admit I felt so guilty but it certainly has helped. Don’t get me wrong I still miss her & always will as she was so special but I have a super wee boy in my life who helps to make me smile again.
I feel for you as Hugo will be a big miss, & will have left a huge gap in your life. Take care sorry I didn’t reply sooner x
zeta1454 wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 17:47 Dear Doug and Glynis - thank you for sharing the hopeful and heartbreaking times you have been through with Hugo in the past months and for the beautiful description of your last day with your beloved schnauzer there beside you. Hugo will remain in your hearts always and will be there with you in spirit every time memories spring up or when you are just thinking about him.
You have shown courage as did Hugo in making the kindest decision for him and making that saddest of days also one of peace and natural beauty in the surroundings.
No words can ease the pain of bereavement as I know from such losses in the past and the tears came pouring down reading your post and remembering..but you are both in my thoughts and of course welcome to remain as members of the Forum and to contribute if you ever wish to from your experience of living with and loving a Giant Schnauzer. Take care :ymhug:
Thank you for your kind thoughts and wishes, it is much appreciated. I am sorry about the tears too, just means you care and have feelings, as well as understanding what it can be like too.

To 'Schnauzer'. I am pleased you got another Schnauzer after the loss of your little girl, that I do understand and yes it seems to be the right thing to do. After we lost our German Shepherd 'Kaiser', that was the decision we made, we will get another dog, hence Hugo and no regrets either. However, with the two dogs both having cancer, we just cannot take the chance to go throught that again, I doubt either my wife or I could cope again especially emotionally. It was double whammy with Hugo, first the diagnosis in February and then saying farewell. Our 'hearts' were well and truly broken. However, we are all different and the bottom line, you got do what is right for you and if that means, get another dog, then go for it.

It is now going on to four weeks since Hugo said farewell, some days are still better than others though with sadness and tears never far away either. Just needs a little something to trigger it off. Just like this morning, out in the car, then see a standard 'black' Schnauzer out for a walk, first thing I thought of was 'oh a little Hugo' and the tears followed!

The hardest part is being at home (due to being furloughed) and wife is at work, the house is so empty and quiet! Yes, I try to keep my self occupied with 'things' but Hugo is never away from my mind. I accept it will get easier as time goes by but my god, he left a great big impression on our lives, more than we ever imagined. However, we live with the great and happy memories of Hugo for sure.

I appreciate that you won't mind me hanging around on the forum too. as I will call in just to see how other Schnauzers and their owners are getting on, hence my visit now. Anyway, time to go, thank you again, please take care.
HugoBrum

Post by HugoBrum »

It has been over four months since the passing of our beloved 'Hugo' and still find it hard at times to keep the emotions back. Both my wife and I have concluded we will never get over the lost of 'Hugo', it was so unfair and cruel. Regardless, he continues to remain in our thoughts and conversations too but we do have sad feelings when we see other Schnauzers whether minature or standard. Only on one occasion I've seen a black Giant Schnauzer, by co-incidence with a red collar too and my heart dropped with 'if only' feelings - that was hard!

We continue to maintain our thoughts of not getting another dog (of any description) as it be too much for us to bear if something happened to them. However, even if we changed our mind, that has now gone out of the window for sure with our life turned upside down again three weeks ago when our 39yr old daughter had a serious stroke and now begins as confirmed by the doctors a very long road to recovery. We now need to be there for her and our lovely grand daughter too. Oh what a lousy year for sure, it never rains but it pours instead!

Anyway, I continue to look in and read the posts, especially about the 'new' addition experiences, some of which put a smile on my face and occasionally make me laugh too. :)
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

So sorry to hear the sad news of your daughter’s stroke and I do hope that she does eventually make a good recovery. You and your wife have certainly had a traumatic and challenging year.

As regards your bereavement, the loss of a dearly loved dog is heart-wrenching and often circumstances can make it worse when you think “if only…” or “could things have been different if..” This is natural and many of us who have shared our lives with dogs have suffered the emotional devastation, sometimes guilt feelings or just as you say the feelings of unfairness and distress over the suffering the loved dog may have endured. From my own experience I cannot say that it is ever something I have “got over” or even “come to terms with” as the pain remains as sharp at times even 10 years or more later when I am suddenly reminded of the one that has passed, but the emotional pain does get buried a little deeper and you just live with the loss being there but not overwhelming you. How long that will take is different for every individual. In my case I have always had more than one dog so never suffered the trauma of losing the only one - this doesn’t lessen the pain but it does mean there are other little ones who need care, support, love and fun just the same as they always did and this does divert my mind.

Thinking of you both and best wishes to you and your daughter with hopes of a good recovery for her from the stroke.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/