Dog napping - any advice to stay safe?

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
Ottothemini
First Name: Grace

Dog napping - any advice to stay safe?

Post by Ottothemini »

Hi

I have a 14 week old miniature schnauzer called Otto. He is always walking on the lead at the moment. There has been a spate of attempted dog thefts in my local area over the last few weeks. Some reports say that the attacker even had a weapon (stick). Is anyone else worried about this and does anyone have any tips to try and make dog walking safer?

:(
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Dog napping - any advice to stay safe?

Post by zeta1454 »

This is a difficult situation as there are many items being advertised at present for people to use against potential dognappers such as various sprays to mark or deter them. However, many even innocuous sprays if used as a ‘weapon’ could end up getting the user into trouble with the law themselves although I fully understand those who would do anything to protect their dog (as I would too). A personal alarm may be a better deterrent of the kind that women are advised to carry in case of attempted assault and there are a number of different brands available to buy online on key chains or lanyards etc. if you do an online search.

If you are walking Otto on lead, try to go out at times and in places where there are quite a few other people about and, if possible walk with a family member or friend/s rather than alone. If you have any dog parks which can be privately rented near you for an hour or half hour use these for off lead play instead of in a place where Otto may wander or be more vulnerable to being picked up.

Although there certainly are more media posts relating to dogs being seized from owners and this does happen, it may be a greater risk in some areas than others and it is dogs who are stolen from outside shops, left in cars or in publicly accessible gardens which are definitely the most vulnerable compared to dogs who are accompanied.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Dog napping - any advice to stay safe?

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Leigh has given great advice here. Here's what I do. I carry a personal alarm at all times, my friends carry the red paint spray but I am convinced that I would make a complete hash of trying to do too many things. The advice is if someone is attempting to take your dog you set off the alarm and throw it to the ground away from you so you still have hands free. I always walk Otto away from the roadside, I avoid walking close to any parked van. I walk where there are people around and in daylight. I am always careful where I let him off leash regardless but if you don't have 100% recall then don't let the dog off leash and if going to be off leash, preferably walk with other dogs and people. If someone does approach and starts asking questions about your dog don't necessarily give them any information that could make the dog appear to be what they are looking for. This happened to me with a couple asking questions about Otto which felt strange at the time and I told them he was doing really well for 12 years old, they then lost interest, I also had a guy just walk over to me and offer me £500 for Otto and I hung around the centre of the village until they had gone. One other thing is just to practice in your head what you would do if something happened. We have to live our lives and enjoy our pets but I have found all this helps me to be as prepared as possible. Final top tip, if someone is trying to get your dog you scream like you have never screamed before and don't stop screaming. Enjoy your pup.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.