Good vibes for Ozzy

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Good vibes for Ozzy

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Poor Ozzy has a gastro upset. He has not been vomiting and stool is all good, but he went off his food and was very lethargic yesterday. He ended up eating 90% of his meals by hand feeding, but not very into it.

So I was going over whatever I thought he was into the last day or so. We encountered a dead mouse on our walk Saturday, he sniffed it before I saw what it was, but did not lick or ingest it. He might have swallowed a wad of hair that I accidentally left on the lower shelf after hand stripping him a bit on the floor. I gave him 1/2 a pig's ear on Friday. Finally Sunday I was doing some gardening and threw a handful of stones on the pathway in the garden. Ozzy was playing with the stones, moving them with his paws, but at one point I accidentally threw them in his direction and I was worried one got down his throat.

I was so worried he had swallowed a rock or something solid that was causing a half blockage thanks to Dr.Google 🙄 I never knew how dangerous it was to swallow a rock, I mean it's obvious it would cause issues, but I didn't know how easy it was for a dog to swallow them.

So this morning we were lucky the vet had a cancellation at 11am. I brought him in and got xrays and bloodwork. It felt like a really long wait to find out the results of the xrays, but they revealed nothing but bubbles (gas) and possibly a slow moving soft object (through his intestines) that was causing built up gas and making him nauseated and feeling like poop. No rocks luckily.

He has anti-nausea and anti reflux meds. The vet administered the anti vomit meds there and when we got back he was walking around slowly in the garden, grabbed a couple toys to carry around and ate 1/4 the can of gastro wet food I got from the vet.

He was seeming very lethargic this morning (like worse than yesterday) and refusing his food, so I was getting really worried, but feel so much better that we did all the tests and found a potential reason why he's been under the weather. I'd say he is 50% better after the anti-nausea meds.

If he doesn't improve by tomorrow, the vet will test for pancreatitis (because of the pig's ear), but she's fairly certain it's the gas bubbles.

So a lesson for me! No more high fat pig's ears. No more playing with the rocks. It was very stressful for us this morning since he was not doing any better. It was reminiscent of what happened with our elderly girl in 2020, so not a good feeling. But I told my SO he is a young pup, he'll be fine. Still quite a scare! I learned my lesson, live and learn!
Schnauzerluv

Re: Good vibes for Ozzy

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Ozzy is doing much better this evening. He was out and about the back garden and chewing on a couple bones today, carrying them outside. A little more skip in his step and tail wagging, following me around a bit, so that's a good sign. He just got his anti-reflux meds and fortunately he seemed to like the taste because he takes it twice a day for 7 days.

He hasn't taken a no2 yet today, but he didn't start eating until 1pm or so and not too much at that. So I think it's ok and he's on the mend.

He's resting at the moment, I tucked him in a blanket and was rubbing his belly. I'll update how he's doing tomorrow. I'm optimistic 😊
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Trying to post a pic
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

How he doing now ? Poor boy. Thank goodness it wasnt the stone. I've never given pigs ears, dont know why just never liked the look of them. Which is an odd statement considering he has rabbit ears, chicken feet etc =))

Jasper is always eating hair his own and the humans when I cut theirs :)) and he often has the rabbit ears with all the hair on too.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Sorry to hear that Ozzy has been poorly but good to know that he is improving now :)

Hope things settle down and he is back to his usual self very soon. I would avoid giving him the pig’s ears again as this may have been the problem.

Dorwest Herbs Tree Barks powder is great for settling digestive issues and can just be mixed into a dog’s normal food. We keep this product in the cupboard for our dogs whenever needed as they are all scavengers given the chance!

https://www.dorwest.com/product/tree-ba ... -and-cats/
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Thanks for your good wishes, both of you 😊. I have good news, he is 75% better this morning! I'm feeding him the canned gastro food, probably complete garbage, but it's new and he's eating pretty well, so.....

He is more back to old self, following me to loo, watching out the front window, barking a bit lol. I took him for a short walk and his stool is all good. Still no vomiting which is good because the obstruction is in his intestines, and he is still taking anti-nausea meds.

All in all, I'm so happy Ozzy is getting back to normal.

Alison, I think it was the pig's ear, not the wad of hair, I was just trying to think of EVERYTHING the last couple days. I think it was just too fatty for his system to digest properly. Mini schnauzers are not good with fatty foods. Never gave any to my past minis, I just got carried away by LPS advice.

Thanks Leigh for the Dorwest herbs suggestion, it would certainly be worthwhile in case something like this happens again. Not cheap to check out a gastro issue! But worth every penny to make sure Ozzy is ok.

Thanks again for the good vibes and concern!
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Think he's feeling better!
https://vimeo.com/540173114