Breathing very fast

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
Gaynor daisy
First Name: Gaynor

Breathing very fast

Post by Gaynor daisy »

Hi I have an xpuppy farm miniature schnauzer pure white, daisy , a week ago now my little one started breathing very fast we took her to the vet they kept her all day and did test. When I collected her I was given antibiotics, steroids , and frusemide, since being on medication there has been no change with her , the vet said she had lots of fluid round her heart but there is a shadow underneath, sent samples away but nothing concrete came back , we take her back tomorrow and she will stay there all day for my tests . It is breaking our hearts watching her trying to breath, the vet thinks she will have to be put down . She has had a rotten life she has been with us 5 years and I just want to do the best for my baby , sorry for going on .
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Breathing very fast

Post by zeta1454 »

Hello Gaynor and welcome to the Forum,

I am so sorry to read about little Daisy. It is so devastating when a much loved dog is very ill and you feel helpless to make her better. Your vet has prescribed very heavy duty medication in giving Furosemide and steroids so I hope these may help but you do need to be sure that the prescription is appropriate to Daisy’s condition and carefully monitored. (Not sure why antibiotics are prescribed unless she has a bacterial infection?)

https://www.vetinfo.com/furosemide-for-dogs.html

The hot weather here in the U.K. has come on quite suddenly and that may not be helping if she is having difficulty breathing. I would try to keep her cool if it is hot where you are, keep her hydrated with water available close by her bed and try to keep her calm and comforted (which I’m sure you will be doing) so she doesn’t feel stressed.

You could see if it is possible to arrange a consultation with a holistic vet who may be able to offer advice and suggestions on additional gentle remedies which may help support Daisy in this condition but it is impossible for anyone to offer medical advice to you on the Forum for such a serious issue. If you are interested in following this path, this is a link to a qualified vet who may be able to offer a ‘virtual’ consultation during the COVID restrictions:

https://holisticvet.co.uk/index.php/links/

I do feel for you in this situation and hope that Daisy does improve soon. Sending hugs to you both :ymhug:
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/