Poorly Monty

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
GoEmGo
First Name: Emma
Dog #1: Montgomery (Monty)
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 22 Dec 2018

Poorly Monty

Post by GoEmGo »

Hello all. Monty has been a bit peaky since yesterday evening. He ate his dinner as usual, then threw it all back up two hours later. He slept through the night and I did him a very small brekkie this korning at 7am. He threw this back up within 20 minutes. He's a little quieter but still eager to eat and is playful.

We decided it best to skip a meal. For Monty, this is lunch. He has three meals a day. However he's just thrown up that foamy yellow bile stuff (about a tablespoon - no more). It's been about 10 hours since breakfast. I'm guessing he's now hungry or his tummy needs something, so we are opting for sweet potato and a bit of chicken. He's pawing for some grub!

Has anyone had any experience of tummy upsets? Monty hasn't had one since he was a puppy and it was poorly poop rather than vomiting.

His poop is a-OK today. He's just a tad sleepier and clingier than usual. Maybe he's scavenged something he shouldn't? He is one for ripping up leaves and chewing moss!
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Poorly Monty

Post by zeta1454 »

So sorry to hear Monty is not very well. With our dogs if they are vomiting their food and do this more than once I try to leave them without food for 12-24 hours to give their digestive system a total rest. Ours are on two meals a day though rather than 3.

You are right that the yellow bile is likely due to him being hungry and if Monty can keep a light meal down now he is probably on the way to recovery :)

I usually give ours a 1/2 sachet of Yudigest plus and a teaspoon of Dorwest Herbs Tree Barks powder on their next meal to boost their digestion too.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
GoEmGo
First Name: Emma
Dog #1: Montgomery (Monty)
Born: 22 Dec 2018

Post by GoEmGo »

Thank you for your lovely reply. Yes, he's definitely keeping food down now. If anything, I don't think we are feeding him enough, because he has 50g of sweet potato and chicken only to throw up bile about 3 hours later. He's as active as ever this morning so we are going to up the frequency of giving him something to eat just to make sure his tummy isn't ever empty.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Poor Monty. You could also offer some bone broth. It will keep something in his tummy but easy to digest.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"