Spay/Neuter Information

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
MacyMoo
Puppy
First Name: Glynn

Re: Spay/Neuter Information

Post by MacyMoo »

zeta1454 wrote:
MacyMoo wrote:Hi, my miniature schnauzer Macy is booked in for spaying on Monday based on vets advice. Reading this it seems this maybe too early (she is 6 months old). Would you guys recommend waiting until 12 months old, will she have had her first season by then ? (Sorry I'm a first time dog owner).
I would definitely say that six months is too young. Macy will not have matured physically or mentally and effectively cutting off the hormones (which do affect more than just reproduction) at this stage could have a detrimental effect on her behaviour and her health. There is a link here with more information to add to those links above:
http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/health ... e-dog.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you wait until Macy is more mature at say 12 months she is very likely to have had a season by then. Bitches usually have a first season between the ages of six to nine months although the first one can often be less "intense" . She will bleed and will be attractive to male dogs when she does come into heat so you will need to manage this when the time comes but it is only about 3 weeks duration.

I would in any event be wary of having major surgery done on a dog just before Christmas ( unless absolutely necessary) as, if there were to be any post-operation complications, you may need to go to an emergency clinic or see locum cover rather than your regular vet.
Thanks for your advice, I'm going to ring them now and postpone it.
MacyMoo
Puppy

Post by MacyMoo »

Interestingly the vet took a little bit of offence to me cancelling. She said that its perfectly OK to spay Macy at this age especially as we have no intention of breeding from her. Anyway I decided to compromise and said provisionally book it in for when she reaches 9 months and think about it again then.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

MacyMoo wrote:Interestingly the vet took a little bit of offence to me cancelling. She said that its perfectly OK to spay Macy at this age especially as we have no intention of breeding from her. Anyway I decided to compromise and said provisionally book it in for when she reaches 9 months and think about it again then.
Sorry to hear that about your vet :(

I know that many vets and rescue charities recommend early spaying as a way of trying to reduce the possibility of dogs being irresponsibly bred from but there is a wealth of information as you have seen from this thread ( including from vets) to highlight the possible health issues arising from an early spay.

Many years ago, we were advised by our vets to have our first miniature schnauzer Maisie spayed by six months and ( against the advice of her breeder) we did have her done. She did grow very leggy ( unlike her parents and siblings) and never grew hair on her belly or a full undercoat. Years later when we had another puppy, the same vets advised NOT to spay until a year old ! Much is down to the individual vet / practice as to their attitude to a range of non-medical issues from diet, vaccination, anti-parasite treatments and neutering and my approach now with all these is to research and make up my own mind as to what to do with our family dogs.

I am sure you are doing the right thing by giving Macy more time to mature even if you go ahead at 9 months :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
ZiiPAngelclaws
First Name: Hayley

Post by ZiiPAngelclaws »

MacyMoo wrote:Interestingly the vet took a little bit of offence to me cancelling. She said that its perfectly OK to spay Macy at this age especially as we have no intention of breeding from her. Anyway I decided to compromise and said provisionally book it in for when she reaches 9 months and think about it again then.

there is no reason for your vet to take offence, she is your dog and it is your decision. All the vets around me recommend neutering after the 1st season. With Elica after discussions with our trainer and with the vets she was booked in after her second season when she was 16 months. This was to help her mentally mature as she was reactive and we felt she still needed to grow up a bit.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

My girl Robin came into season at six months and we let her have her season,then spayed at nine months .shes been fine and has just had her second birthday..
I would have preferred to allow her to have two seasons and spay after that but we also have an intact ,large breed male in the house so we had little choice in spaying sooner. Even though it was really hard on my boy being separated from Robin for the three weeks it was the best thing for her to have that first season.
You definitely made the right decision for Macy. :-bd :-bd
Kittykate
Puppy
First Name: Kathleen
Dog #1: Hugo
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 16 Dec 2016

Post by Kittykate »

This is a confusing subject. My previous three minis were sterilised at about 5 or 6 months. The first had a liver shunt and was euthanised before the age of three. The last two both developed medical conditions that have been linked to early sterilisation. Hugo's breeder, a vet, recommended to sterilise between 1 and 2 years.
I watched this video and cried. she makes a lot of sense to me.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/he ... risks.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My decision is that Hugo will, if all goes well, be neutered at 15 months when he is due for his follow up vaccine. The vet when giving Hugo his C3 vaccine at 12 weeks wanted to book him in for sterilisation when he was 5 months old. Without consulting me she took it for granted I wanted this. She wasn't too pleased when I said I preferred to wait. Grrr!
We have since found another vet who thinks like Dr Beker and who doesn't believe in over vaccination either.
MacyMoo
Puppy

Post by MacyMoo »

Just a quick update, Macy is a year old next month and we still haven't had her done. We are probably going to wait until just after her first birthday.