Spay/Neuter Information

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
BBG
First Name: Gerri
Dog #1: Rufus
is a: Black Giant Dog
Dog #2: Eva
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Dog #3: Blaze
is a: Black Mini Dog

Re: Spay/Neuter Information

Post by BBG »

This is quite interesting as well

http://www.doglistener.co.uk/neutering/rspca.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Donald
First Name: Donald
Dog #1: Chester
Born: 01 Mar 2012

Post by Donald »

Chester (11 months today) has an undescended testicle. Is there any good reason not to castrate him in the next month or two? Links appreciated.
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

Donald, from what I read when Rodders had this issue is that this is one case where you should neuter.

Luckily his dropped when he was about 5 months.
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

Donald wrote:Chester (11 months today) has an undescended testicle. Is there any good reason not to castrate him in the next month or two? Links appreciated.
Simply? Yes - The risk of bone cancer is increased in those dogs neutered before the age of 1.

This is the paper that talks of the increased risk; http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTerm ... InDogs.pdf
These are the relevant passages from the paper;
On the negative side, neutering male dogs
"if done before 1 year of age, significantly increases the risk of osteosarcoma (bone cancer); this is a common cancer in medium/large and larger breeds with a poor prognosis."

"Osteosarcoma (Bone Cancer)
A multi-breed case-control study of the risk factors for osteosarcoma found that spay/neutered dogs (males or females) had twice the risk of developing osteosarcoma as did intact dogs.

This risk was further studied in Rottweilers, a breed with a relatively high risk of osteosarcoma. This retrospective cohort study broke the risk down by age at spay/neuter, and found that the elevated risk of osteosarcoma is associated with spay/neuter of young dogs. Rottweilers spayed/neutered before one
year of age were 3.8 (males) or 3.1 (females) times more likely to develop osteosarcoma than intact dogs. Indeed, the combination of breed risk and early spay/neuter meant that Rottweilers spayed/neutered before one year of age had a 28.4% (males) and 25.1% (females) risk of developing osteosarcoma. These results
are consistent with the earlier multi-breed study but have an advantage of assessing risk as a function of age at neuter. A logical conclusion derived from combining the findings of these two studies is that spay/neuter of dogs before 1 year of age is associated with a significantly increased risk of osteosarcoma.

The researchers suggest a cause-and-effect relationship, as sex hormones are known to influence the maintenance of skeletal structure and mass, and also because their findings showed an inverse relationship between time of exposure to sex hormones and risk of osteosarcoma.

The risk of osteosarcoma increases with increasing breed size and especially height. It is a common cause of death in medium/large, large, and giant breeds. Osteosarcoma is the third most common cause of death in Golden Retrievers and is even more common in larger breeds. Given the poor prognosis of osteosarcoma and its frequency in many breeds, spay/neuter of immature dogs in the medium/large, large, and giant breeds is apparently associated with a significant and elevated risk of
death due to osteosarcoma."

As Maty said he does need to be neutered but personally I would wait a couple of months to let his bones grow.
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
Donald
First Name: Donald
Dog #1: Chester
Born: 01 Mar 2012

Post by Donald »

Caramomo wrote: As Maty said he does need to be neutered but personally I would wait a couple of months to let his bones grow.
Thanks for that - just what I was looking for. No problem to wait a month or three.
BBG

Post by BBG »

If at all possible try and delay neutering in Giants until they've finished growing - 18/24 months. He will need doing though if it's undescended.
BBG

Post by BBG »

Another interesting article specifically looking at the effect (or lack of) of neutering on behaviour of male dogs

http://www.angryvet.com/neutering-and-behavior/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

A brand new study published just 4 days ago into the risks of neutering/spaying dogs. The study focuses on golden retrievers treated at one veterinary hospital in the US and examines the effects of neutering (both before and after 12 months of age) on the development of hip dysplasia, cranial cruciate ligament tear, lymphosarcoma, hemangiosarcoma and mast cell tumor.

http://www.news.ucdavis.edu/search/news ... o?id=10498
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
Claire Farrington
First Name: Claire

Post by Claire Farrington »

^^^ thanks for that Elaine, very interesting reading :-bd
Properly Trained a man can be a dog's best friend

Sydney (Deansgate) gone to the Rainbow Bridge 19/04/2011 - Run free my little man
Jack (Silversocks Spot On) s/p mini born 10/04/2011
Jill (Silversocks Shana) s/p mini born 11/05/2011
Elly
Puppy
First Name: Gill
Dog #1: Bella
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 09 Mar 2012

Post by Elly »

Thank you so much for posting these links - very useful...
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

BBG wrote:This is quite interesting as well

http://www.doglistener.co.uk/neutering/rspca.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Another article by the same person:
http://www.doglistener.co.uk/shock-admi ... -weeks-old" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
tishee
First Name: isobel
Dog #1: Georgia
Born: 14 May 1997
Dog #2: Chelsea
Born: 03 Nov 1999
Dog #3: Murphy
Born: 21 Feb 2003

Post by tishee »

Thanks to all those who posted all that information . Pity some vets don't take this on board , they don't seem to know the potential damage that can be done to our pets
Turbo22
First Name: Andrew
Dog #1: Turbo
Born: 14 Jun 2012
Dog #2: Kaspar
is a: P/S Giant Dog
Born: 22 May 2013

Post by Turbo22 »

While walking my dogs in the park I spoke to a couple whose daughter had a labradoodle and was shocked when they said the pups were neutered prior to being sold.There is a kennel nearby which breeds Australian Labradoodles ?I was also shocked when they said how much she had paid for it.
I don't assume it was done for health reasons or to modify behaviour. As they are not registered with the Kennel Club and their lack of pedigree means it cannot be endorsed with regard to breeding I can only speculate that it is done to protect the money breeders make from them..
MacyMoo
Puppy
First Name: Glynn

Post by MacyMoo »

Hi, my miniature schnauzer Macy is booked in for spaying on Monday based on vets advice. Reading this it seems this maybe too early (she is 6 months old). Would you guys recommend waiting until 12 months old, will she have had her first season by then ? (Sorry I'm a first time dog owner).
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

MacyMoo wrote:Hi, my miniature schnauzer Macy is booked in for spaying on Monday based on vets advice. Reading this it seems this maybe too early (she is 6 months old). Would you guys recommend waiting until 12 months old, will she have had her first season by then ? (Sorry I'm a first time dog owner).
I would definitely say that six months is too young. Macy will not have matured physically or mentally and effectively cutting off the hormones (which do affect more than just reproduction) at this stage could have a detrimental effect on her behaviour and her health. There is a link here with more information to add to those links above:
http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/health ... e-dog.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you wait until Macy is more mature at say 12 months she is very likely to have had a season by then. Bitches usually have a first season between the ages of six to nine months although the first one can often be less "intense" . She will bleed and will be attractive to male dogs when she does come into heat so you will need to manage this when the time comes but it is only about 3 weeks duration.

I would in any event be wary of having major surgery done on a dog just before Christmas ( unless absolutely necessary) as, if there were to be any post-operation complications, you may need to go to an emergency clinic or see locum cover rather than your regular vet.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/