Standard Story and Questions

The Standard Schnauzer is a working or utility dog and is the original breed of the three sizes. Standard Schnauzers are generally a robust, squarely built, medium-sized dog with aristocratic bearings.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Stanley Brian
First Name: Nick

Re: Standard Story and Questions

Post by Stanley Brian »

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
www.theschnauzer.uk
Advice, forums, free training advice and videos
Bon-bon
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Bonnie
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 18 Feb 2013

Post by Bon-bon »

Stanley is a very big and handsome boy ! Your topic has just reminded me that I wanted to measure Bonnie: At almost a year old, she's just over 18" so I suspect is not going to grow much taller. She's a very long, slim dog and currently underweight, having recently lost weight which is something I'm currently trying to address.

She is always full of energy and due to lots of off-lead exercise (why walk at my pace when you can run in circles to triple the distance?), does need a high calorie intake which unfortunately, as a result of going off her kibble and other foods previously eaten, had reduced. She hasn't been ill so unsure why the sudden change in preferences. I've been trying all sorts of things to boost her intake which I've been writing about elsewhere. Last Monday she had gone down to 12.45 showing a marked downward dip on her growth chart but pleased to say my efforts to 'fatten her up' have resulted in a 0.5kg gain in 5 days :) Hoping for more progress this week and also hope we can get into a new feeding routine that works and keeps the weight on.
Stanley Brian

Post by Stanley Brian »

Stanley went off his kibble and didn't put any weight on for a few weeks. We changed the meat we add just for variety and he's back into it again. I guess like children growing up their tastes change with time. 18" sound about right for a girl but weight will continue to increase for several months. Our last two dogs that passed last year lived until 16 yrs and their weight varied in adult life significantly.

www.theschnauzer.uk
mudmops

Post by mudmops »

He looks a beautiful boy although you may have to move onto the Giant posting if he continues his growth!!!!!
Madmolls

Post by Madmolls »

Stanley is a gorgeous looking dog
Stanley Brian

Post by Stanley Brian »

Thank you... he really looks different since being trimmedImage

www.theschnauzer.uk
Stanley Brian

Post by Stanley Brian »

Well, against all odds Stanley passed his Bronze obedience exam on Wednesday evening.... a little star!Image
www.theschnauzer.uk
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

Clever boy Stanley :-bd
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
milosark2
First Name: vicky
Dog #1: Milo
is a: Black Std Dog
Born: 27 Jun 2008
Dog #2: Darcey
Born: 27 Jun 2011
Dog #3: Inka
Born: 07 Jan 2016

Post by milosark2 »

Well done Stanley (*) .. .and doesn't he look very proud to be wearing his rosette :) very handsome :)
Stanley Brian

Post by Stanley Brian »

Yes he trotted in like he knew he had done well. Been through the woods this morning .. lovely start to the day... felt like spring had arrived.Image
www.theschnauzer.uk
Bon-bon
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Bonnie
Born: 18 Feb 2013

Post by Bon-bon »

Congratulations Stanley (*) . Wish I could have taken Bonnie to Good Citizens classes. Although we have some fairly local classes, they're not local enough for me to have committed (working around my working hours and looking after rest of family). Lovely photo of him in the woods :)
Stanley Brian

Post by Stanley Brian »

Yes it is tiring sometimes as we have to take him after work at 8pm.... I take him into the town at weekends and gradually hes calming down :) had a crowd around me on Sat literally queueing up to stroke him.. going to keep at it. Recall with other dogs around still a lottery though.

www.theschnauzer.uk
Stanley Brian

Post by Stanley Brian »

Stanley has just turned 8 months old. He is now 21 inches and 21 kgs. His height growth has slowed right down but is getting broader by the day. Despite him looking a lot more chunky his weight hasnt increased very much. He is now very good around the house and on a lead. I am concentrating each day on recall training but this could be better. He comes back brilliantly some days but not others. I put him on the lead if we meet other dogs. A rhodesian ridgeback attacked him last week but he seemed to think it was funny..... he seems completely fearless! But he has never shown any aggression even when attacked... he just stands his ground. Our last dog a golden retriever boy was very large and would always start a fight if he met another boy dog. Stanley is great with children and barks at strangers so we are very pleased with his temperament. He is very boisterous though when he meets another dog. Image

www.theschnauzer.uk
AB2012
First Name: Annabel
Dog #1: Alfie
is a: P/S Std Dog
Born: 05 Sep 2012
Dog #2: Reeva
is a: P/S Std Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2013

Post by AB2012 »

He is lovely- my Alfie is still very boisterous around other dogs too at 18 mths- sounds like they would have a lovely chase around together! Image
Alfie p&s standard boy, born 5.9.12; Reeva p&s standard girl. born 6.7.13- adopted 17.5.15
“Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace.”
― Milan Kundera
Stanley Brian

Post by Stanley Brian »

He looks great... they would really wear each other out. Stanley is very good natured but doesnt understand putting your paw on a rotweillers head is not a good way to start a friendship. Hes learning fast though and dog training classes are a must for him

www.theschnauzer.uk