The Day All Dog People Dread

The Standard Schnauzer is a working or utility dog and is the original breed of the three sizes. Standard Schnauzers are generally a robust, squarely built, medium-sized dog with aristocratic bearings.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
flugelboneman
Puppy
First Name: Ian

Re: The Day All Dog People Dread

Post by flugelboneman »

Sorry for your loss also. There is no point in telling dog people how much is missing from their lives. A dog enriches and adds so much and I guess that is why we miss them.
alive555
Puppy
First Name: David

Post by alive555 »

Hi I am new to the forum but just came across this so thought I'd post

I also lost my dog on the 5th of December . He was 13 . A mini . I had been preparing myself for that day for 13 years . I even looked into cloning that's how much I loved him .

He cost me 120 pounds but was worth a million .

When he was young he was always sick .

i lived in thailand and had a maid . When I first got the dog he wouldn't eat at all . Literally had to force feed him. He was a sick puppy . This no eating went on for about 3 years and I had to take him to vets all the time.

One day the vet told me he had kidney stones and he was only 3 . Many vets saw him and they all thought he must have an eating disorder .

We never could work out why he wouldn't eat on his own .

Eventually I found out . The maid was poisoning him with paracetamol . The reason she gave was he was panting . Unbelievable but true . I could have killed her there and then .

Anyway after the maid left he started to eat normally and we had him 13 years he went everywhere with me . Must have been literally 300 weekends away .

He spend more time with me than I had spent with my wife ! In his case it was 100pc of his available time .

When i wasn't home he would sit waiting at the front door. Including not eating until I returned .

In the house he stuck to me never more than a meter away for the 13 years he was with me . If I got up to go to the toilet he would follow me to the toilet and follow me back . If I sneaked back he would sneak back !
Every time I would go on holiday he would get ill and lose weight .

He was so devoted I had to rescue him from drowning from swimming polls and ponds on at least 3 occasions as he would jump in to follow me and couldn't swim . Sometimes he would jus fall in the pond as he was gollowngme and not looking at where he was going.

My wife thought I loved him more than her . I told her I couldn't marry a dog :)

In his last year he had kidney disease so we injected him twice per day with a drip and gave him other medicine to control kidney function and he was also on epo. We extended his life nearly a year .

Then on the Saturday he was sick and I knew he wasn't well as he hadn't been following me around the same as before .

I took him in for a check up and the vet said his blood test were not showing anything worse than usual . I.e. Kidney function was same as 6 months before .

I took him home.

Next morning he was sick again so I took him back to the vet in the morning .

He said he would put him on a drip Overnight .

2 hrs later he called to say he had a seizure and had to be moved to another vet for 24hr survellliance .

I went that vet to see his condition and the had carried out an ultrasound .

The news was bad . He had 2 huge kidney stones pancreatitis and suspected cancer of the prostate .

I said to the vet I thought we should put hm down there and then but was persuaded to "give him a last chance" . I reluctantly agreed

My wife and I went out and had a drink and cried for 3 hrs .

Next morning at 5am I awoke with feeling my of utter dread. I knew something was wrong

I went into the vet at 11anm and they told me he had a second seizure at 6am and had coughed blood .

I said ok now we must put him down and we took him to the operating room .

I held his head and told him to go to sleep and my wife told him to "come home"

The vet injected him and he was gone after 5 mins. That 5 mins I won't forget .

I lost my best friend ever . He was my son .

We agreed with the vet that they would cremate him and give us the ashes .

The next morning I woke up and thought no I must go to the cremation so we arranged to meet my beloved dog at the temple . He always stuck to me I had to stick to him.

He was wrapped in a cloth and frozen . I thought omg I can't do this but I could so he was unwrapped and laid out on a plinth with flowers

The monk prayed for him and he was then creamated .

For some inexplicable reason my extreme sadness was almost totally removed after I saw his lifeless body . It was as though he had come back to say to me he's not actually gone he's only gone from this world . He was always able to read my mind how I have no idea .

What happened next was somewhat hard to explain to say the least

My 24 month old daughter always slept in her own room with my wife as she went to bed very early and got up at 5am or 6am.

As the dog was gone I bought a new bed for my daughter and moved her into my room.

2 days later my daughter woke up just at dawn and I put her sitting up in the bed . My wife went to the toilet .

My daughter was staring straight ahead and was expressionless . After about half a minute she said "ammo bite" I said what ? She sad "ammo bite" . I said he bite ? She nodded her head . I said where did he bite ? She lifted her leg and touched her foot .
I told my wife to get back in the bedroom .

My daughter then said "ammo sick"

She never knew he was ever sick !

In fact I have no idea where she learnt that word ! That's not a word you teach a 24 month old in pampers .

I said ammo sick she nodded . She said Ammo sick about 3 times .

She then moved off the bed and sat on the sofa

I asked her where is ammo ? She said "upstairs" .

My wife's hair stood up on her arms !

We asked her again and she clearly said upstairs .

Is he happy I asked and she nodded and then I asked if he had food she's nodded.

So he was sick and happy and now he was upstairs .

Draw your own conclusions on what that all meant .
flugelboneman
Puppy
First Name: Ian

Post by flugelboneman »

thx for ur beautiful touching story. it captured how we felt about our beloved kaiser, but could not describe as eloquently as you. I only just found ur reply and thank you again. it has been 3 months and we still grieve.