temperament

The Standard Schnauzer is a working or utility dog and is the original breed of the three sizes. Standard Schnauzers are generally a robust, squarely built, medium-sized dog with aristocratic bearings.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
zyppi
First Name: Anne

temperament

Post by zyppi »

I keep reading that the Standard is more of a handful than the other Schnauzers.
With that in mind, I've had two minis but mostly had and trained German Shepherd dogs (last two being German Lines). My GSDs trained to BH level.. How does training a Standard compare? Had anyone here had both?

Many thanks from Louisiana in the USA.
Anne
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: temperament

Post by zeta1454 »

Hopefully some Forum members with standard schnauzers will be able to give you advice from personal experience as we too have only had the mini schnauzer.

However, unlike the German Shepherd that is a working dog known for its trainability and obedience (used in a variety of working roles (army, police etc) the standard schnauzer is a "Utility " breed, certainly trainable and very intelligent but strong willed and can be independent minded. I have watched them in training classes and they are lovely dogs but look to be a whole different type to a GSD.

They are certainly not just a bigger version of the mini :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Post by jacdales »

I used to have airedales some one once said to me '' If you want blind obedience get a collie or a GSD if you want a dog to test you, that thinks for itself and will ask if you know best then get a terrier'' I believe schnauzers are terriers on the inside lol
My mini is 3 and he is a lot like my a'dales were only in a pick up and walk away package. lol
Stanley Brian
First Name: Nick

Post by Stanley Brian »

Ive had many breeds over the years from border collies to golden retrievers. We got out first standard 3 years ago after doing hours of research and visiting several breeders. We went into having a standard with our eyes wide open. My wife, son and I took our boy to his first puppy training class when he was very young and we were full of enthusiasm. The very exeperienced trainer took one look at Stanley (our standard) and said , "you will have your hands full". She was right! He was the most strong willed and intelligent dog I've ever met. Within weeks he was rolling over, bringing toys by name, counting by barking and doing all the tricks you see dogs doing on youtube. This was impressive but once off the lead on the park i would spend hours running after him and appologising to other owners as he jumped all over their dogs. He was never aggressive but completely fearless. If a dog attacked him he would simply run in circles and then go back for more. We kept the training going (not classes in the end) and he is now the most perfect dog. He loves the children and their friends but will growl and protect on command if you need him to. He will play on the park with everyone and his kong frisby for hours. Everyone loves him and wants to meet him. He is big for a standard and plays with my friends giant who is also very young. He is very different to both minis and giants in tempriment. I met a lady in a nearby village with a mini, a standard and a giant all on leads together. She told me that if she had the standard first she wouldn't have had the other two. Our boy is amazing. He has never damaged anything and goes on holiday with us several times a year to Norfolk, lake district and Cornwall. He loves the beach , goes in the sea but does swim properly like our retrievers did. He doesnt shed hair. We were told the standard changes at 3. Our boy did and became brilliant off the lead. He now ignores most dogs or says hello and then comes straight back. Keep the training consistent, never get annoyed (its pointless) and then be patient for the puppy brain to pass.... it will. We are now looking for a mini companion but not a pup necessarily. We met a couple in Norfolk at New Year who had three minis who had been bred from and id like to do the same if we can. Be careful with what you read as some sites don't seem to actually know the breed. This forum is best for an honest opinion. As a first dog i think it would be very difficult but not impossible. If you can live with adolescent months they make the most amazing friends ever :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
www.theschnauzer.uk
Advice, forums, free training advice and videos
Writeress
Puppy
First Name: Bianca
Dog #1: Jude
is a: P/S Std Bitch
Born: 11 Nov 2015

Post by Writeress »

Most of what Stanley Brain Just wrote is exactly my experience here. Jude is my first dog. She is 1y2m old girl and she is the most smart and fearless dog I've ever met. She learns increbibly fast and ou see that, as we live in an apartament, her active times of the day are spent on waiting for what will we do next and asking for interactive games With us. Her Energy level's are infinit. When we get her to dog parksparks, only border collies will run faster or for a longer time. She is absolute docil but with all that energy, she is never delicate. She is stubborn and loves to steal food nas keeping ver away from the tables in the house is quite a challenge. Since we worked on socializing her in the most warly age, she is te most friendly dog to people and other dogs. As have been Said, she loves everybody and everybody loves ver. She rarely barks, and when it happens it will be because some stranger is around our building at late night.
That haver been said, I have to say: she is not a dog for everybody RO handel. She needs 2h walks, training time, playing time and afection time everyday. She needs to go to dog parks, beach or some other place where she will run freely at least once a week. When she was a young puppy, it was a challenge to give her affection since she was jumping and biting all the time - and always trying to bite me on face, neck and ears. Today a bite from her is impossible, but it took time and consistent leadership to achieve it.
akuma_desu
Puppy
First Name: Akuma
Born: 05 Aug 2016

Post by akuma_desu »

Reading these replies it's like you all described my standard puppy.

She's fearless around dogs and unfortunately so eagar to meet them that she goes crazy and can't control herself - she pulls and jumps and twists herself; an adult Labrador retriever at the dog park was so slow and boring for her that she literally kept jumping over him to get him to play, and she is quite smaller than a lab; she loves people, especially children, which I'm not quite fond of since I'm the opposite of sociable, so I'm hoping she'll grow out of it, haha; she learns quite fast and will work for food; she's good and mostly obedient inside my home, but quite the opposite when we're outside, which is understandable, because there are many distractions and the world is still so new to her at 9 months old; she has infinite energy - so when I read that I first have to tire out a puppy before going for a walk to train loose leash walking, I just laughed - she can run for hours and still have lots of energy left; she's a handful - I had a rough start because I got her when I was very depressed, and having a new and very demanding responsibility almost broke me - but it did get better, we just need to survive this teenage phase now.

I've wanted a standard for years. At first, I didn't really like their looks, but after I met one, I instantly fell in love. They are not a very popular breed here. I keep seeing minis every day, but I've only seen 2 or 3 standards in the last 5 years.

Anyway, I'd say standards are full of personality and they require work. If you think you can handle one, go for it.
Writeress
Puppy
First Name: Bianca
Dog #1: Jude
Born: 11 Nov 2015

Post by Writeress »

My Jude is 1y3m now and she still can run for 40 minutes chasing birds without any resting time. When she finally got tired of it and came to have some watter her eyes were still saying "what's next now?". Some agility trainers were there and they just got shocked watching it. Couple Saturdays ago she have jumped up a 1,60m tall wall chasing a bird in a dog park we often go. So, I'm also still waiting for her to settle down yet. That've been said, she's getting more reserved with other dogs. Now she only plays with dogs aroung her size and age, or dogs with whom she have settled real friendship when she was a young puppy. But she's still friendly with all dogs, and very affectioned to every people.

Her best friend is also a Labrador. Actually it's a Labrador mix wich is 10cm taller than her and weights two times her own weight. When they play pulling the same time, she lies down and the Lab pulls her around the living room, but she doesn't give the toy up. In order to convince this same Lab to play to her, she doesn't jump any more: she goes under the Lab and bites (play bites) her legs.

Standards are small dogs for so much personality. They are hard hard work, but I can't think about having any other dog - unless a Giant Schnauzer :P.
akuma_desu wrote:Reading these replies it's like you all described my standard puppy.

She's fearless around dogs and unfortunately so eagar to meet them that she goes crazy and can't control herself - she pulls and jumps and twists herself; an adult Labrador retriever at the dog park was so slow and boring for her that she literally kept jumping over him to get him to play, and she is quite smaller than a lab; she loves people, especially children, which I'm not quite fond of since I'm the opposite of sociable, so I'm hoping she'll grow out of it, haha; she learns quite fast and will work for food; she's good and mostly obedient inside my home, but quite the opposite when we're outside, which is understandable, because there are many distractions and the world is still so new to her at 9 months old; she has infinite energy - so when I read that I first have to tire out a puppy before going for a walk to train loose leash walking, I just laughed - she can run for hours and still have lots of energy left; she's a handful - I had a rough start because I got her when I was very depressed, and having a new and very demanding responsibility almost broke me - but it did get better, we just need to survive this teenage phase now.

I've wanted a standard for years. At first, I didn't really like their looks, but after I met one, I instantly fell in love. They are not a very popular breed here. I keep seeing minis every day, but I've only seen 2 or 3 standards in the last 5 years.

Anyway, I'd say standards are full of personality and they require work. If you think you can handle one, go for it.
Riesen16
First Name: Gillian
Dog #1: Enya von Amber
is a: P/S Giant Bitch
Born: 30 Sep 2015

Post by Riesen16 »

Stanley Brian

I did so enjoy your post.

The Standard Schnauzer is the original Schnauzer. The Giant and the Zwergs (minis) were bred with other breeds.

I have access to the German records of the Schnauzers and I hope in time to be able to translate them into English.

The Standard Schnauzer is not so popular here in Switzerland, at least not at working trials. It is said that he is difficult to train. But so are many breeds.

I am a member of a Schnauzer Forum in Germany and I very often I see the words "once a Schnauzer, always a Schnauzer".

I do not subscribe to this. I have had various breeds:

A Landseer (white and black Neufundlander), Berger de Brie, Fila Brasileiro, 2 German Sheperds from Working Lines (and believe me these are not always easy dogs to train). The Fila, once we managed to counteract his hunting instincts (he hunted by eyesight) was an extremely obedient dog. However, he maintained his instincts to guard the family home.

We had a Jack Russell Terrier from the Cheshire Hunt Kennels. A Schnauzer is tame in comparison.