Age of first season

The Standard Schnauzer is a working or utility dog and is the original breed of the three sizes. Standard Schnauzers are generally a robust, squarely built, medium-sized dog with aristocratic bearings.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
akuma_desu
Puppy
First Name: Akuma
is a: P/S Std Bitch
Born: 05 Aug 2016

Age of first season

Post by akuma_desu »

My girl is 10 months old in 2 days, but she still hasn't had her first season and there really aren't any signs of it coming. She does hump, but only on the rare occasions when we play with a blanket and that's out of excitement. I read some threads here and what I've gathered is standards enter their first cycle at 8 months old. I can't find any other info on this subject, because standards seem to be so rarely discussed on the Internet.

Should I be worried? Or is this not uncommon?

Sent from my Redmi 3S
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Re: Age of first season

Post by Robin black mini »

I'd say she should come in any time now...most dogs of this size will have their season from ten months onwards,but could be as long as 14 m ( rare)...the best guide will be to phone the breeder and ask when her mom first cycled and how often ..I have had st poodle girls who cycled every five m ,and one every nine months..but BOTH exactly like their mothers.( also for the timing of the first season).
Cassie-1
First Name: Lynne

Post by Cassie-1 »

Hi Robyn
My Schnauzer pup is 9 months old today and began her first season last Thursday. My last standard Schnauzer was spayed aged 10 months and had not been in season. This is probably not much help. There are hardly any standards here. Might be worth googling areas where there are a lot more standard schnauzers. By the way my wee Schnauzer is a real handful but she is also absolutely adorable! Good luck with yours.
Writeress
Puppy
First Name: Bianca
Dog #1: Jude
is a: P/S Std Bitch
Born: 11 Nov 2015

Post by Writeress »

Jude was 9 months old when she got her first season. Now she's ending her second one. In her first season she started to housebreak - and before that she didn't miss her spot since she was tree months old. But male dogs didn't seem so interested on her and she didn't show any signs of being receptive. At this last season we didn't have any housebreaking problems - actually she doesn't do it at home anymore. In the other hand, males were standing around my building all week and yesterday I had to carry her on my arms due to a street dog.