Play with other dogs

The Standard Schnauzer is a working or utility dog and is the original breed of the three sizes. Standard Schnauzers are generally a robust, squarely built, medium-sized dog with aristocratic bearings.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
lorenzini257
Puppy
First Name: Maria

Play with other dogs

Post by lorenzini257 »

First off, thank you so much to everyone who has posted about Standard Schnauzers on this forum. Bronte is my first Schnauzer, she's five months old and I adore her. But she's the only Standard Schnauzer in the very dog friendly area I live in, and it's been so great to be able to read the posts here and learn how she is typical for her breed. This has been very important for me because as you all know, Schnauzers aren't like other dogs! My Bronte is so full of confidence and energy she makes other dogs and puppies look sedated!

The question I'd love to hear from other about is, how has your Standard Schnauzer got on playing with other non-Schnauzer dogs? Bronte loves all the dogs she meets and wants to play but they seem to find her a bit overwhelming. She doesn't bark or growl, she just likes to wrestle them to the ground whatever their size! We are very sociable with other dogs but her high energy play isn't always welcome. Anyone have experience of this and does it settle down as they get older? Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Writeress
Puppy
First Name: Bianca
Dog #1: Jude
is a: P/S Std Bitch
Born: 11 Nov 2015

Re: Play with other dogs

Post by Writeress »

Hi there!

Yeah, they are full of energy and hard to be handled by smaller dogs and lower energy dogs. However, keep her getting around them a d cobtrol her if you find ahe's bee too overwealming. She will learn, while she ages up, that there are those dogs wich will play with her on her terms and there will be others that will not get along this way.
Mine was totally crazy until 18months. Since then, when she's on lwad she will be a lady.
Bodee
First Name: Boyd

Post by Bodee »

Schnauzers in my experience have a long "adolescent" period, up to 2 years in some cases. When coupled with their high intelligence and sense of humour (I have remarked on this before) they can be a bit overpowering.
The strange thing was, with Max, once he came through that stage, he actually tended to ignore dogs in favour of people.

Your dog looks lovely, by the way.
lorenzini257
Puppy

Post by lorenzini257 »

Thank you for the replies, they’re really helpful! It’s good to be able to tell people that she is typical for her breed, and encouraging to know that her behaviour will settle down with age. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rmoore920
Puppy
First Name: RC

Post by rmoore920 »

My standard schnauzer loves to wrestle other dogs until they are both so tired the just lay on the ground and gently chew on each others muzzles. As she has grown to full size she has worked her way up from terriers and beagles as playmates to large Labradors and Italian mastiffs. The smaller dogs do tend to avoid her now, except for a chase now and then. Unlike some of the other dogs, she never bites or nips, just snaps the air and pushes her muzzle against the other dogs.

She is the dominant dog at the dog park, seeking out new playmates constantly, but is very good at introducing herself to play, and leaving alone dogs that are not interested. So I think your dog's behavior is quite similar.

She is 10 months, and I don't expect this to change significantly as long as we keep her weight in normal ranges. The only change I have noticed is she always keeps one eye on the family, and twice now when another dog has snapped or growled at me she has immediately left playing and placed herself between me and the other dog and forced the other dog back by just body language. The first time it happened, it took me by complete surprise -- I had never seen her so focused.
lorenzini257
Puppy

Post by lorenzini257 »

Thank you for the description of how your Standard Schnauzer likes to play - it sounds very similar to mine. I love how rugged and robust Schnauzers are, and their favourite game certainly seems to be ‘let’s see who’s strongest!’

Fascinating to hear how your dog stops play and gets in between you and a growling dog. The combination of playfulness with always being highly alert and protective is amazing!