Standard Schnauzer 2 years old behavioral change

The Standard Schnauzer is a working or utility dog and is the original breed of the three sizes. Standard Schnauzers are generally a robust, squarely built, medium-sized dog with aristocratic bearings.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Atriumb
First Name: Sonia

Standard Schnauzer 2 years old behavioral change

Post by Atriumb »

Hello, I have a 2 year old intact male Standard Schnauzer. His birthday was this past October 2nd, and coinciding almost perfectly with that date we noticed some unwelcome changes in behavior. I am not really worry about it, because I'm sure it will pass, but I'm just curious to know if maybe Standard Schnauzer go through puberty later that other dogs.

When we go out, he wants to walk the whole neighborhood forever, very insistently, like he really needs to go to the places he wants to go, and when at home he is very insistent about wanted to go out, vocalizing and whining which is not like him at all. He doesn't need to go to the bathroom, and otherwise his behavior is normal, so I don't think he's sick. We just came back from a long walk, and he's whining at my feet. It occurs to me that maybe there is a female in heat around, but I wanted to check with other SS owners to see if they have experienced a change on behavior, for the worse, at this age.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Standard Schnauzer 2 years old behavioral change

Post by zeta1454 »

Hopefully some standard schnauzer owners may be able to give more specific feedback for you but, as a general comment, the behaviour you describe could well be due to a bitch in season in your neighbourhood as you suggested. If so it should pass in a week or so - the coincidence of the date with his second birthday probably is just that - a coincidence :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Puberty will have come and gone around a year...he is now mature and wanting more input from you..

It sounds like he needs more work (not walks)to tire and satisfy him...
My suggestion is to enrol him in a training course ..he is the perfect age for many options..agility,obedience,tracking etc..
You will have a completely different dog at the end of the course( in a positive way) and you both will have a great time doing it.
..after training,your dog will come home and crash out... :)
We had a working line German Rottweiler and this was the only solution to have a relaxed happy dog...even a five mile daily walk would not tire her out...but intensive training courses resolved her restlessness and gave us a wonderful companion.
Bodee
First Name: Boyd

Post by Bodee »

I actually found Max didn't get through extended puppyhood until he was about two.

I knew a lady who had owned two standard schnauzers in my workplace and she overheard me discussing Max's various minor problems (all of which I realised were my fault) and she said in her experience Schnauzers had a long adolescence and she was sure I would see a marked improvement when he reached about 2 years old.

I realise however that no 2 standards are going to be the same and and circumstances affect behaviour, but in Max's case she was proved right.
However I don't recognise any of the OP traits, so those who think it may be due to a female in season could well be right.
Atriumb
First Name: Sonia

Post by Atriumb »

Thank you very much everybody for your feedback. I'm sure he'll benefit for more training and mental challenges. It's also good to be reminded of how young he still is.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.
Barbarauttley
First Name: Barbara
Dog #1: Billy
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 08 Oct 2012
is a: P/S Mini Dog

Post by Barbarauttley »

I find that Harry my English Setter can get very restless, whining, barking and wanting to go out. We often go through a few days of him barking about an hour before we would normally get up. This usually happens around springtime and I put it down to hormones or a bitch in season. He is seven now, it's been going on for years and then he is back to normal!
Writeress
Puppy
First Name: Bianca
Dog #1: Jude
is a: P/S Std Bitch
Born: 11 Nov 2015

Post by Writeress »

The behavioural changes I'm finding in my girl's actions ate that since she got spayed,in the end of June and we moved in to another apartment, in September, she got some more territorial when she hears noises around our home and meeting some people in the street. Some people I do understand what made her feel suspicious, but some don't make any sense to me, unless a "a dog knows" sense.
I agree with you that he's behaving like there's some bitch in season some wherer around. If that's so, he will eventually stop in a week or two.
Samurai968
First Name: Simon

Post by Samurai968 »

Hi

Reference your little boys behaviour, we have a little girl standard who has just turned two also 11 October.
Our standard has been a difficult little girl and all the information I can find from other standard owners is that they mature late, not until after two but all dogs are different, and as previous members have been saying it may be a bitch in heat or foxes as this seems to make Rosa hyper at night.

Our little girl is more sensitive than normal, as we have established she is short sighted and blind to detail so dark nights are hard work, this seem to happen after the vet gave her triple injections and antibiotics as a puppy, however we can't prove it!

Good luck with your standard, I am sure he will improve after a month or so.

Thanks
Robin black mini

Samurai968 wrote:Hi

Reference your little boys behaviour, we have a little girl standard who has just turned two also 11 October.

Our little girl is more sensitive than normal, as we have established she is short sighted and blind to detail so dark nights are hard work, this seem to happen after the vet gave her triple injections and antibiotics as a puppy, however we can't prove it!

Good luck with your standard, I am sure he will improve after a month or so.

Thanks
Hi samurai..
Please ,please read this link.
.http://animaleyecare.net/diseases/pra/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It sounds very likely that your girl may be starting pra symptoms..
If this is the case she needs to have a test for pra and be given vet prescribed antioxidant supplements which may well help her eyesight..I really do urge you to take the test..it is a simple test,not costly and may well be able to save the deterioration in your girls night vision and later her eyesight..
Pra is a genetic condition,not linked to vaccinations ,but very important you get the test done to know if her poor nighttime vision is indeed being caused by this.
Samurai968
First Name: Simon

Post by Samurai968 »

Hi Robin

Thanks for the information, I will speak to the vet, however I thought that PRA was more common with Minuture Schnauzer , and not standards, or is it just more common in Minuture schnauzers?

I have looked at this

PRA may not appear until 2 years of age upwards, but may be detected in some breeds at any point between 6 months and 6 years. The earliest reported case in Miniature Schnauzers was in a 3 year old. So, all Miniature Schnauzers in breeding plans should be eye-tested annually.

However I understand health problems can occur in all dogs, the reason we think the vaccine caused problems, is she changed overnight, from a social dog happy for loving people to being scared of everything and being frightened of people, like flipping a switch.
We spoke to the dog listener ( Stan rawlinson ) who suggested she may be autistic which has been brought on by the vaccine. Who knows,just wish they could speak.
Thanks
Robin black mini

HI simon..I would do the test To at least rule this out..you are quite right that many breeds can be affected.over here,I know of three dogs , jrt,a collie and a poodle who all had similar symptoms.it was pra....all were less than three years and first symptoms were night blindness..
Say hi to Stan from me...years ago I posted on his forum as Sophia from Italy...he liked my glass engraving ...I hope he remembers me :)
Re autism in dogs,that's a first for me..never heard of it in dogs... I would do the eye test and if negative,book a visit with a good behaviorist. You ve had a rocky road with your dog I know,but if the.cause is medical it really will help to have it diagnosed.