Paying a deposit

The Standard Schnauzer is a working or utility dog and is the original breed of the three sizes. Standard Schnauzers are generally a robust, squarely built, medium-sized dog with aristocratic bearings.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Miranda_ljg
First Name: Miranda

Paying a deposit

Post by Miranda_ljg »

Hi, after a lot of research we have finally settled on a standard schnauzer as a pup and have found a breeder with pups. The breeder is asking for a non-refundable deposit to secure a pup (have had a rigorous telephone interview and the pups are from a good line so not worried about that). Is this standard procedure? We are visiting the pups in a couple of weeks when they are old enough to choose which one we want. I suppose I could take the risk of not paying the deposit and them all being sold by the time I get there but on the other hand not sure about paying a deposit on a pup I haven't seen! The breeder says I can choose the sex once the deposit is paid and that this will be on a 1st come 1st served basis. Just wondering if you paid a deposit and how much?
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Paying a deposit

Post by zeta1454 »

Different breeders have different ways of managing the choosing and sale of their puppies so it is difficult to make a judgement on this particular set-up. From a personal perspective, as a puppy buyer, we only once paid a deposit twenty years ago but did not get a choice of puppy (although had no worries regarding quality of puppy or ongoing support from the breeder). From the perspective of a breeder, we have never asked for deposits for puppies we have bred, as we prefer to retain the right to refuse a potential puppy seeker without financial / contractual complications until we have met them and are absolutely certain they are suitable. However, there are (justifiably) some breeders who feel they do not want to risk being financially affected by time wasters who pull out at the last minute when they had thought all their litter were accounted for which can and does happen quite regularly.
We also prefer to guide puppy seekers as to a suitable puppy from the litter based on our knowledge of their character and try to match pups to homes rather than letting people choose on a first come basis. We will however take account of a family's wishes as regards the gender of the puppy, if at all possible.

If you are fully confident in the integrity of the breeder and their standards of breeding, you may feel it worth paying the deposit. You do need to be certain that the breeder is raising the puppies well and doing all possible to prepare them for their life ahead as well as that they are from good lines. Pedigree is important in terms of health and conformation but other factors are also very significant:

https://positively.com/contributors/you ... ank-slate/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you do have any reservations as to the breeder, you may be better waiting until you have met in person as you do not want to feel you are obliged to take a puppy just because you have paid a deposit (unless you are prepared to sacrifice the deposit if you do decide this is not right for you). I would always hope that the breeder /puppy-family relationship would be a long term one as regards the breeder being available for advice and support throughout the lifetime of the puppy/dog so I would be reluctant myself to purchase a puppy from someone I did not trust and have confidence in to be there for the future if ever needed for help, information and advice regarding any issue relating to the puppy they had bred.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

For both our mini-Schnauzers, we paid a deposit once we had seen the puppies and chosen the one we wanted - we didn't pay a deposit up front before we even saw them!!

I'm unsure from your post if the breeder is asking for the non-refundable deposit up front, before you have even seen the pups. If so, that doesn't sound right to me, what if the breeder changes their mind about you, is the deposit still non-refundable?

Obviously others here with more breeder experience may have different thoughts - we paid roughly a 10% deposit.
Miranda_ljg
First Name: Miranda

Post by Miranda_ljg »

I should clarify. I am meeting the breeder very soon for a proper chat / interview. I think it is because I want them to reserve a girl for me they want a deposit to ensure the sex. The deposit will be once we have met in person and they are happy we are a good match for a pup. They have said by all means I can come and choose a pup in a few weeks and leave a deposit then but they can't guarantee there will be a girl left. I am 3rd on the waiting list so providing the pups all provide there should be one, I just don't want to lose out on my girl for £100 now. I'm sure if when I see the pups I fall in love with a boy that would be fine as lots more of them.