Standard Schnauzers and Cats

The Standard Schnauzer is a working or utility dog and is the original breed of the three sizes. Standard Schnauzers are generally a robust, squarely built, medium-sized dog with aristocratic bearings.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
rmoore920
Puppy
First Name: RC

Standard Schnauzers and Cats

Post by rmoore920 »

My standard schnauzer really likes the neighborhood cats. Is the usual experience for standard owners?

Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Re: Standard Schnauzers and Cats

Post by Robin black mini »

What a lovely picture! You must have a low prey drive dog,she's so social with those visiting cats. I'd say she is unusual as most will only accept the cats they are brought up with.iI bet she has a really open,friendly temperament too. Do tell us more about her. :) Did her breeder have cats too? I had a terrier once who would allow a stray cat to share her bed...a mangy tom cat ,we had to start buying flea treatments for it lol.
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Another great picture :)
NadiaOr
Puppy
First Name: Nadia
Dog #1: Kimmy
is a: P/S Std Bitch
Born: 28 Sep 2017

Post by NadiaOr »

all the three of them are so cute! I am both dogs and cats person, you are happy to have such a cat friendly dog :) I don't actially know if mine will have any interest in cats, I think she never showed any... :(
rmoore920
Puppy
First Name: RC

Post by rmoore920 »

Robin black mini wrote: Do tell us more about her
We have a lot of feral cats in our neighborhood (kittens that were trapped and neutered and then re-released) that keep the city rat population in check. They have always roamed from backyard to backyard, so our schnauzer was always around them from her puppy days.

If an outsider cat shows up to fight with the neighborhood cats, she will come to the rescue and chase it away.

She will also spend the day "grooming" them by nibbling them gently with her front teeth. They seem to like it.

Her prey drive for squirrels (of which there are many) remains very high, but on walks she makes friends with any cats she sees that are amiable.
Isabella
First Name: isabella
Dog #1: Isabella
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 06 Mar 2012

Post by Isabella »

Hi, just read your post... Isabella woke my new neighbours this morning when she excitedly invited a local car to play... cat and neighbours not impressed! Izz was totally bemuse that the cat didn't want to play!! =))