Seeking a Standard Schnauzer

The Standard Schnauzer is a working or utility dog and is the original breed of the three sizes. Standard Schnauzers are generally a robust, squarely built, medium-sized dog with aristocratic bearings.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Cristatus
Puppy
First Name: Neil
Dog #1: Libby
is a: P/S Std Bitch
Born: 05 Nov 2004
Dog #2: Stanley
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 05 May 2014

Seeking a Standard Schnauzer

Post by Cristatus »

We lost our beloved Libby in July a standard pepper and salt who was approaching 14 years old. We also have a pepper and salt mini - Stanley who is 4 years old. We recused him at 14 weeks.

We now feel ready to find another standard Schnauzer and will consider a puppy or older dog, we know how to contact the main KC breeders but thought a post here may also provide leads.
andr3wc
Puppy
First Name: andrew

Re: Seeking a Standard Schnauzer

Post by andr3wc »

Hi. sorry to hear about the loss of Libby. Just wondering if you got sorted as I know of a possible litter coming up if not.

Best,

Andrew
Stressnot
First Name: Peter

Post by Stressnot »

Hi. My wife and I are Looking for a standard Schnauzer puppy. If you are aware of a litter, please let us know. Many thanks in advance. :)
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Peter and welcome to the Forum :-)

Recommendations of breeders / litters must be done by private message but do be very careful to fully research any breeder or litter that you are advised of privately. Do have a look at the relevant topics in the Puppy and the Breeding sections of the Forum for some Guidelines of the kinds of things to look for from a breeder and the questions to be asked of them.

As you may have already discovered during your research into the breed, there are far fewer Standard Schnauzer puppies born annually than miniature schnauzers. In 2017, only 192 standard schnauzer puppies were registered compared to over 5,600 minis so anyone looking for a standard puppy may have to wait some time and will find the best breeders very selective about new homes for their litter.

If you have your heart set on a standard schnauzer, the best advice is to get to know the breeders through meeting them at breed club events, championship shows, Discover Dogs, Crufts etc. Get to talk face to face with the breeder, see their dogs and assess how fit and healthy they are and whether of good temperament and convince them that you understand the needs of the breed as regards exercise, training, grooming and general health and you will have a much better chance of obtaining a well raised puppy from a quality breeder.

If you are not already a member of one or more of the schnauzer breed clubs, I would recommend joining one as that will also give you the opportunity to meet and find out more about breeders and their dogs:

http://northernschnauzerclub.co.uk

http://www.schnauzerclub.co.uk
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Riesen16
First Name: Gillian
Dog #1: Enya von Amber
is a: P/S Giant Bitch
Born: 30 Sep 2015

Post by Riesen16 »

The standard Schnauzer is the "original" Schnauzer. The Minis and the Giants were bred also from other breeds to attain the size.

Standard Schnauzers can often be difficult to train, but obviously not impossible.
andr3wc
Puppy
First Name: andrew

Post by andr3wc »

Stressnot wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 09:59 Hi. My wife and I are Looking for a standard Schnauzer puppy. If you are aware of a litter, please let us know. Many thanks in advance. :)
I sent you a pm!