Advice needed! Chance of owning a standard schnauzer

The Standard Schnauzer is a working or utility dog and is the original breed of the three sizes. Standard Schnauzers are generally a robust, squarely built, medium-sized dog with aristocratic bearings.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Jay7239
First Name: Jamie

Advice needed! Chance of owning a standard schnauzer

Post by Jay7239 »

Evening all,

My wife and I have been considering getting a dog for the last year or so and my brother in law has a friend that is looking to rehome a 12 month old, KC registered standard schnauzer.

Current owner has done some training but I don’t get the impression they’ve done much and are looking to rehome as they no longer has the time for the dog.

My situation is that we have two kids, 3 and 5 and two cats, one of which is about 16, the other about 13. I work full time but my wife is at home and will be until at least September when my youngest starts school. We are quite outdoors people and live near the beach. My questions/worries are:

I’ve read that they take a lot of exersicse, how much is a lot? 20 mins walk a day? 1 hour walk? Run on the beach?

How difficult/demanding is training them? Apparently this dog jumps up a lot?!

What are the benefits of different sorts of diet etc.?

Is this a high maintenance breed? Obviously any dog will need a lot of time and effort and I’m not afraid to put that in, just want to check I am able to fully commit and what I’m getting myself into!

Thanks in advance, J.
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Re: Advice needed! Chance of owning a standard schnauzer

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Hi Jamie

I have Miniature Schnauzers and so I know what they are like, they are companion dogs, they want to be with you all the time - whether the Standard breed is different, I don't know.

My question to you would be, do you have the set-up to home a dog at present? I know you said you work full time and your wife is at home until Sept but what happens after Sept? Maybe you have plans already but as you know, you just cannot leave a dog home all day on their own. Even if you have someone pop in to walk the dog, it still feels unfair to leave them on their own until one of you return from work.

My wife works from home 4 days a week and the day she goes into London, I work from home so there is always someone there.

On the flip side, I think dogs are great at showing children responsibility, something else to love and care for and I am sure your children would love the dog. I have read somewhere else on the forum that the Standard breed (being the original Schnauzer) can be stubborn and harder to train but Standard owners here would be better placed to advise on this.

Good luck with whatever you decide but please think about what is best for this dog too - it's already about to be rehomed because the owner "no longer has time for the dog" - please don't add to the dogs distress by taking it on and finding yourself in the same boat 6-12 months down the line meaning it needs re-homing again - it's just not fair to the dog, they have done nothing wrong.

Cheers,
Mike
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi Jamie welcome to the forum. Never had a standard schnauzer but I think the word I have heard associated with them is "challenging". You may not be familiar with the "what's good about em" website but I have copied the "what's bad about em" just fyi.

Vigorous exercise requirements
Rowdiness and exuberant jumping, especially when young
Destructiveness when bored or not exercised enough or left alone too much
Suspiciousness in some lines, or when not socialized enough
Aggression toward other animals
Strong-willed mind of his own, requiring a confident owner who can take charge
Regular clipping and trimming of the wiry coat

I don't think they are the dog for the first time owner. I think you need experience to handle these dogs and as this dog is approaching adolescence with perhaps inadequate training so far, it is going to be a huge undertaking I suspect. I can only echo Mike's advice wrt putting the dog first, it clearly needs the right forever home asap.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Welcome to the Forum Jamie :-)

I agree with the above advice that taking on an adolescent dog from a challenging breed with little or no training having been carried out at the optimum time and presumably from a less than reputable breeder...all add up to the conclusion that it would be a bad idea both for your family and especially the schnauzer himself. If his breeder is not prepared to take him back which any responsible breeder would do, your brother in law's friend should contact the schnauzer breed clubs as to assessment and rehoming to a home with an experienced standard schnauzer family:

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/servic ... breed=4101

Getting a dog should always be a well considered and researched decision and for first time dog owning families a puppy from a first class breeder is the best option. You need to look seriously at how much time you realistically can devote to a dog, that you have the time and commitment to training, that the dog will be a full time member of the family and not relegated to being left alone for long periods of time or handed over to doggy day care, kennels etc. on a regular basis. The breed you choose will need careful research as to grooming, health, diet, exercise costs etc. (which you did raise as regards the standard schnauzer) as these are the significant factors in which breed you decide is the best fit for your family and lifestyle. While you are both working and have very young children who are themselves a commitment (in terms of education, out of hours activities, holidays etc) getting a puppy / dog which will have his/her essential needs of companionship, training and health care is possibly not a good idea, at this time.

As you are considering getting a dog at some time, I would recommend checking the Kennel Club website to research breeds and getting a puppy:

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/gettin ... for-a-dog/

Do also see if you can go to a championship show at some time to see the breeds in the flesh and talk to owners and breeders. There are shows throughout the UK during the summer months as well as breed specific shows held by the breed clubs which can be found by an online search. Discover Dogs is another opportunity to see and discuss the needs and requirements of particular breeds with their owners / breeders.

https://www.discoverdogs.org.uk

Do have a browse through the Puppy and the Breeding sections on the Forum as there are a number of topics there which may help you in your research and consideration of whether or when to get a dog, where to source a puppy, and other useful information :-)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
redalert
First Name: Sue
Dog #1: Fizz
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 09 Jan 2010
Dog #2: Bo
Born: 16 Jan 2012

Post by redalert »

Hi, I have 2 black standards, aged 10 & 8 now, both were very easy to train, you do have to be firm with them and they can be very aloof, one of mine is, the other isn't. Apparently blacks are less stubborn and fiery than the salt and pepper, but I do not know if this is true. Both mine go to day care while I'm at work and they certainly rule the roost there, without being aggressive and spiteful. The owner laughs at them because if he get a dog in which is rather bolshy, he puts it in with my 2 and they soon bow down to them, even giant puppies will back down to them. They are lovely dogs, funny, very energetic. I feed mine a natural diet, one is a fussy eater, one will eat anything, I have them stripped every 8 weeks. I would say there worst trait is barking, if they can see something 250 yards down the road they bark, but at daycare, they don't bark at all until they hear my car approaching. If you have any further questions and I can help in any way, please PM me.
redalert
First Name: Sue
Dog #1: Fizz
Born: 09 Jan 2010
Dog #2: Bo
Born: 16 Jan 2012

Post by redalert »

Hi, I have 2 black standards, aged 10 & 8 now, both were very easy to train, you do have to be firm with them and they can be very aloof, one of mine is, the other isn't. Apparently blacks are less stubborn and fiery than the salt and pepper, but I do not know if this is true. Both mine go to day care while I'm at work and they certainly rule the roost there, without being aggressive and spiteful. The owner laughs at them because if he get a dog in which is rather bolshy, he puts it in with my 2 and they soon bow down to them, even giant puppies will back down to them. They are lovely dogs, funny, very energetic. I feed mine a natural diet, one is a fussy eater, one will eat anything, I have them stripped every 8 weeks. I would say there worst trait is barking, if they can see something 250 yards down the road they bark, but at daycare, they don't bark at all until they hear my car approaching. If you have any further questions and I can help in any way, please PM me.