When Pigs Fly - training impossible dogs

Training, Behaviour and Dog Sport all have their own section, so please post your question where you feel it is most appropriate.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

When Pigs Fly - training impossible dogs

Post by zeta1454 »

So many posts that come to the Forum regarding schnauzers seem to be concerned with training problems of one kind or another and I can understand why. It is often overlooked or not well understood - even by some trainers - that different breeds ( or even cross breeds with a particular heritage) have been bred over the centuries for particular characteristics and these will affect how easy or complex training them can be. Breeds that have been intended to work with and for humans as herding, hunting or retrieving dogs are pre-programmed through their breeding to look to a human for commands or guidance and that is why in obedience competitions these breeds excel - the border collie a prime example. However, if you have a dog such as a terrier who has been bred to hunt vermin, dig out prey, outwit rats etc you have a dog that has had to think for itself, make decisions on the go and unlikely to think of looking to a human for instructions. Mini schnauzers also fall into this category

Border collies and other similar type dogs are often labelled as more intelligent because they are more responsive to human instruction but anyone who owns an "impossible" dog like a mini schnauzer will know that they are certainly not lacking in intelligence - they are just a lot more difficult to train because of their origins and this needs to be taken into account. Training need not be with the intention of getting your dog to perform "tricks " but if you want to convince your dog that it is good to walk to heel on lead; great fun to come back immediately when called; definitely worth stopping barking on cue and other such unlikely scenarios, you will need to do some training and it will need patience and time but it is not impossible.

Having said this as an introduction, I would wholeheartedly recommend to anyone who is struggling with training issues with their dog to read the (IMO) brilliant book "When Pigs Fly" by Jane Killion. She owns Bull Terriers and charts some of her particular training challenges along the way but the book is relevant and intended for those with an independent minded dog of any breed who has many more important things on its mind most of the day other than listening to its human companion. It is not a difficult read ( jargon is kept to a minimum and any words used in this context are fully explained) - it is funny and very interesting and, even if you are not currently facing any challenges with your dogs may still be worth a look.

I must admit that I really did relate to her writing:

" Most people are attracted to “good” dogs, but there are those of us who just can’t resist the dog who is always ready to cut a caper. Obedience in a dog holds little allure for me—I have so little obedience to authority myself, it would be bizarre if I sought it out in my dogs. A sense of humor and a flair for the ridiculous mean more to my day to day happiness than a dog who hangs on my wishes."

But when you do want your independent dog torespond when needed even if only for 99% of the time rather than 10% or less then this book is a real help :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/When-Pigs-Fly-T ... gs+can+fly" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/