games schnauzers play

Training, Behaviour and Dog Sport all have their own section, so please post your question where you feel it is most appropriate.
on-the-coast

games schnauzers play

Post by on-the-coast »

What are the games you are playing with your dogs to

(hammer) -stimulate them mentally?
:Q - train their senses?

I am going to try something that was recommended to me tomorrow:

Take a favourite toy and hide it under 3, later 5 or even more boxes and let Schu find it.
1 Standard + 1 mini + 2 humans = a cocktail for a good life
http://www.rightnowyoga.blogspot.com
sugarbear

Re: games schnauzers play

Post by sugarbear »

I hide pieces of their fav. biscuits all over the house. They use their hunting intinct to find the pieces. (sleazy) This game is a done when I leave them in the house unsupervised for a few hours. Keeps them busy and out of trouble.
My girls
sugarbear &
jasmine
nickycaplan

Post by nickycaplan »

we hide lolas fav cheese around the house, and she loves to hunt for it - for excercise she went for a 5 mile bike ride this morning, and frisbee play this eve up the park ! she is pooped! [laughing]
schnauzer lover...dog artist www.nickycaplan.com
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I play various games with mine.
Chase (which is basically me running around yelling as they bark and we just mess about)
Fetch
Find! (hiding various kibbles around the entire house for them to seek out, they have to sit in their down-waits whilst I hide them)
101 Things to Do With A Box
Training
Jumps (Just for Freddy as Maisy can't do agility exercises like that until her growth plates have closed)
Walks

Right now we're working on freeshaping training and word ques with Freds, where I'll couple a command (say down or paw, one Freddy already knows) to a piece of paper with the word printed on it largely to train him to couple not just a vocal or signal que, but a visual que too. I can't wait to tell people my dog can read, lol!
on-the-coast

Post by on-the-coast »

We have started playing hide and seek...I am surprised how little Schu searches. He checks two or three possibilities and then whines.
Unfortunately we cannot go to different locations all the time to see how he improves over time.
I am sure next time he searches all the places he knows.

But boy(!) had he fun - I think I could see him laugh
What gorgeous dogs Schnauzers are.... would you believe that I am writing this??? [laughing]
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

i am going to get some tyres this week to practise searching as its an exercise i enjoy but one my dogs don't naturally do so well! also teaching tricks, start out with a trick a week, set yourself a trick seuch as paw and in the ad breaks of your fave programmes practise teaching your dog that trick, its great fun and you keep training to short bursts which is good.
MollyDolly
First Name: Karen
Dog #1: Molly
is a: P/S Std Bitch
Dog #2: Poppy
is a: P/S Std Bitch

Post by MollyDolly »

nickycaplan wrote:for excercise she went for a 5 mile bike ride this morning
Would have like to seen that! [laughing] [laughing]
Karen, Molly & Poppy both p&s standards.
sugarbear

Post by sugarbear »

Astrid glad you had fun with Shu. The more you play hide and seek the crafter you will have to be. Dannie had a good idea trainning him to do tricks. I usually start with a sit for a treat. This will also put you in the control seat! (sleazy)
My girls
sugarbear &
jasmine
august23

Post by august23 »

Well we play fetch with Otts, but it took a while to teach him. I also throw a couple of handfuls of their food on the grass so they have to sniff it out. That lasts for about two minutes, as mine are the greediest dogs on the planet. This is a real silly one, but Otts is always opening & shutting his mouth, so I mirror him. He goes nuts [laughing]
Otto Black Standard
Ruby Black Mini
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Post by Sianny »

LOL that is brilliant, I sometimes playbow to Ralphy and he paws my face :/
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

That's how I taught Freddy 'How's life?' (speak). Just barked at him. :D
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Post by Sianny »

LOL - mental! I taught Jessie to speak and she howls on cue too, it sets Ralphy off, it's the only thing that does and he has the sniffiliest howl in ze woooorld!
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Freddy's never once howled. :c A friend in the US has taught her Setter to growl, on the que of 'What noise does a bear make?' that I just HAVE to try.
on-the-coast

Post by on-the-coast »

Tulip wrote:That's how I taught Freddy 'How's life?' (speak). Just barked at him. :D
Would you break this process up to me a bit?
What did you do?
on-the-coast

Post by on-the-coast »

Sianny wrote:LOL - mental! I taught Jessie to speak and she howls on cue too, it sets Ralphy off, it's the only thing that does and he has the sniffiliest howl in ze woooorld!

Same question here, could you break the process up a bit and explain the steps?>??