Protestant Wee's!

Training, Behaviour and Dog Sport all have their own section, so please post your question where you feel it is most appropriate.
Jo&Jodie

Protestant Wee's!

Post by Jo&Jodie »

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem........ Coby has done amazingly well with his house training. He is just coming up to 4 months old and is totally clean in the house apart from at night when he uses his puppy pads in is pen. BUT...... when we go upstairs (we have a childgate at the bottom of the stairs) he will always have a wee and cry, even if he has just been out for a wee he will force one out to prove a point lol. We have tried treating him for sitting and waiting, and tried just walking upstairs and coming straight back down so he knows we aren't leaving for long and slowly extending the time but nothing is working. We have had to put a puppy pad at the bottom of the stairs which I know isn't good because he will think he is ok to go there but we couldn't risk the carpet any longer (rented house! lol). Anyone with any ideas or just to know he isn't the only one doing this would be great!!! (question)
Tulip

Re: Protestant Wee's!

Post by Tulip »

:D

Crate train!
Jo&Jodie

Post by Jo&Jodie »

He has a crate for bed time and when we go out without him, but really don't want to have to put him in there when we have to just pop upstairs for a wee ourselves lol
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Honestly, you need to. Every time he has an accident is a step backwards for you in the toilet training, putting him in is crate so he knows he's safe and sound is much better, not only because he won't soil but because it's a nice short trip, so he'll learn even more so that it's not to worry him when you leave. As long as you just ignore him when he comes out again, make sure he knows it's NO big deal whatsoever when you leave so no fuss, nothing, just make it the most natural thing in the world.

Good luck - puppies are tough, keep positive!
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Post by Sianny »

Dogs don't mess their den, I would crate my pup if he was doing this. Go for it, you're doing so well already :)
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
Stacey100

Post by Stacey100 »

I'd have to agree with Beth and Sian, I know it's not ideal but he's obviously going to make you work for all this so it's a good plan, if not, he may also work out if he hasn't done so already that it's a good way of getting your attention or controlling what you do and don't do such as going upstairs without him.

What a little bleeder eh? They certainly keep you on your toes our schnauzers hey! x (giggle)
If there are no dogs in Heaven,then when I die I want to go where they went.
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
Snazy
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Tara
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Born: 09 Sep 1998
Dog #2: Fria
is a: White Mini Bitch
Born: 15 Apr 2012
Dog #3: Vala
Born: 28 Feb 2012
is a: Black Giant Bitch

Post by Snazy »

If you don't want to crate him, can you restrict him to an area where it won't matter if he has an accident - it is going to be a stress wee not one of protest. Also at 4 months, you should be removing the pee pad as he is old enough to hold on all night, leaving the pad there is just telling him he can go when he wants.

does he follow you around the house the rest of the time?
'Pedigree indicates what the animal should be
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be
But performance indicates what the animal is'

Anonymous

Beanara Minature & Giant Schnauzers
Jo&Jodie

Post by Jo&Jodie »

Yes, he constantly follows us, and we do have separation issues with him. We will remove the pee pads from tonight and see how he gets on then. He doesn't seem to wee too much at night, only when he hears us get up in the morning and we can't get down quick enough before he wee's, but hopefully removing the pads will teach him to hold. We are having to leave him for longer than we would like in the daytime at the moment as we are having 1 of our cars repaired so are out the house longer due to car sharing so he has a run for the day also with a pad because I don't expect him to be able to hold for that long?
We will start with the crate thing when we go upstairs and see how we get on too.

Thanks guys