Bad Behaviour - can you help?

Training, Behaviour and Dog Sport all have their own section, so please post your question where you feel it is most appropriate.
angieh
First Name: Angie
Dog #1: Monty
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 28 Feb 2011

Bad Behaviour - can you help?

Post by angieh »

Monty, our 17 week old Mini is exhibiting a disturbing behaviour, which has increased as time goes on. He snaps and bites at feet, ankles, shoes and bottoms of trouser legs of both myself and mostly my hubby. He generally growls while he is doing this. We have tried stopping still which does work eventually and he gives up; we have tried distraction which doesn't always work, we have also tried shaking coins in a plastic bottle. Cursing and swearing of course does not work nor help, but he is driving us to distraction with this behaviour. He mainly does this in the house, but has also been known to do in whilst out for his walk.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Standing still is not always an option!
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Re: Bad Behaviour - can you help?

Post by Caramomo »

Unfortunatly standing still is the best option. Mo did this to an extent, used to love chasing ankles and trouser bottoms whilst her victim (read me!) ws walking. A couple of times she actually caught hold and nearly tripped me up taking her with me. Stopping suddenly and sharply and completely ignoring her until she lost interest in them every time she did it was the only way I cracked it. Sometimes this meant I only got 1-2 paces before stopping again. I also only wore trousers and jeans during this time so if she did catch me it didn't hurt so she had no chance of encouraging me to 'dance'
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
Snazy
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Tara
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Born: 09 Sep 1998
Dog #2: Fria
is a: White Mini Bitch
Born: 15 Apr 2012
Dog #3: Vala
Born: 28 Feb 2012
is a: Black Giant Bitch

Post by Snazy »

It isn't a disturbing behaviour, it's such a great game for them!

I just bend down near their level (not so close that they can jump at your face) and bellow NO at them and then put them to bed until calm again or just ignore them then. Standing still does make the game boring, but you have to move again at some point, so I find NO works well.

this is another part of your bite inhibition training.
'Pedigree indicates what the animal should be
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be
But performance indicates what the animal is'

Anonymous

Beanara Minature & Giant Schnauzers
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Post by BeeBee »

Sounds a pretty normal schnauzer/puppy thing to me, great fun (for the pup), less so for the humans of course. (giggle)

Renae always did this a lot, lot more with my hubby than me & still does to an extent when she's excited & trying to get him to play with her. I've done most the training with her, he's generally followed it up later, so I guess she just responds more quickly with me. I didn't exactly bellow at her when she's done it, but did / do use a firmer than usual tone of voice & stop moving so the "game" she's having stops.
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
daisys_mummy

Post by daisys_mummy »

Daisy goes for ankles, and hands sometimes, but she get's a shout and soon stops.

She caught my finger and made it bleed, so she was put outside to calm down after that, I was not happy >.< If she doesn't she gets a smacked bummy - she's soon learnt what NO means though :)

It is puppy games, but you just gotta make sure they stop before it becomes a game
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I time out for behaviour like that if a puppy doesn't stop once I've stopped the game, usually on the naughty step!

Add another walk to your day and it should improve. :)
daisys_mummy

Post by daisys_mummy »

The naughty step >.<

You been watching too much super nanny!

Bloody good hiding, that's what kids and dogs need now and then :D

Kids more so...
Gryff-Nessasmum

Post by Gryff-Nessasmum »

Sounds just like Gryff! [devil] Albeit he is getting better now, albeit with him teething at the moment, he can be a pain - literally!

He has a 'side' of a room where he goes when he behaves like that. It's on the garden side of our large living room. He can come back when settled or go back if he trys it on again.

Many people we meet with Schnauzers tell similar stories. We're no experts, but know he's a pup turning into a teenager - say no more!

It will be great when he settles as he matures, but hey puppies are only puppies for a while so enjoy those moments where you can.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

The best punishment for a puppy is isolation from their family and play; so I used that and it worked incredibly quickly, she never mouthed, or play bit clothes as a puppy after the naughty step. ;)
sukidebs

Post by sukidebs »

Hi, am new to the forum and this is my first post! My 14 week old puppy also does this but mainly to my young son who usually has bare feet and ankles! Have tried getting him to stay still but difficult to for him to do as it hurts him. Also pup doesnt respond to his firm 'NO' in the same way he would with me. This is mainly a problem in the morning when we have all just got up and he is excited to see us but want to nip it in the bud so he doesnt try to be in charge of my son.
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

It's not dominance related, your puppy is not trying to be in charge of your son, he's asking him to play in the only way he knows; the same way he would ask another puppy! First the reason your puppy doesn't respond to Son's 'no' is because his voice is a high pitch. In the future he should say NO in the deepest, gruffest voice he can, puppy should respond better to that.

If your son is unable to stand still (and I know puppy teeth hurt) why not try to get him to redirect puppy to having a cuddle or play a game with him BEFORE he gets a chance to bite (if puppy gets in even one bite first your son should say no). Make that the first thing your son does with the puppy after puppy has had his morning loo break. Just 3-5 minutes will be plenty of time to have a gentle snuggle or play a little game, nothing too boisterous as you do not want to over excite the puppy - this will make the biting worse. The game MUST be played with a toy. Something that puppy can then chew on after the game whilst your son gets ready.
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I know tihs sounds harsh, but I would also make sure your son doesn't play on the floor with the puppy, nor play rough games. I've brought up two puppies with two three-five year olds in the house, and a baby, and we never allowed ANY rough play, and always made sure they were supervised. Always be involved with the game so you can intervene, and play with toys as oppose to just playing without anything for the pup to put his teeth on. :)
angieh
First Name: Angie
Dog #1: Monty
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 28 Feb 2011

Post by angieh »

Monty is still carrying on with the nipping at shoes, trouser legs etc. We have tried the stopping and standing still and the "MONTY NO!"; distraction too if anything is to hand or pocket. He's 19 weeks tomorrow and becoming a hoodlum - any other ideas?

Coupled with his problems of trouble with concentration at training class and difficulty focussing on us - is there any other approach we could try? When he's good, he's a lovely little boy and I love him but when he's bad, he's a git! I keep thinking he's going to get worse (adolescence) before he gets better and I need to be able to help him to calm down when he gets so worked up. Massage, Tellington TTouch, DAP collar and Rescue Remedy are all on my list of things to try but are there any special Schnauzery things to try? He's not really that food focussed either, treats do not always divert him.
daisys_mummy

Post by daisys_mummy »

Have you tried rolling him over?

If Daisy gets a bit too much and doesn't listen to 'No' or 'Stoppit' (she very rarely does get wound up, but it's hard to remember she's still a puppy sometimes!) we either scruff her or roll her over onto her back and 'NO' loud and deep. Then stop play - it's quick and simple, and it's what mummy/other pack dogs do in the wild to tell off the pups who get a bit much.

They'll sort of go 'oh, wtf...' get up, look a bit lost, then hopefully take the hint :)
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Post by BeeBee »

He is still pretty young to get it the whole time I reckon. Renae has only just, literally just stopped the play nipping of legs, trousers with my hubby & she's 9months today. I've been very consistent with stopping play when she did it with me & she got it quicker for me than lazy hubby who is getting much of the benefit of a pretty well behaved but still young dog without much of the effort but c'est la vie as they say!
(cool)
I think persistency, patience, a calm approach & time for him to mature is all that's needed (your pup not my hubby!!). They are still babies really & we often I think expect quite a lot from them early on. I'm taking heart from the good behaviour Renae shows & hoping some of her less good stuff will drop away (eventually!!! )
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/