Clicker Substitute

Training, Behaviour and Dog Sport all have their own section, so please post your question where you feel it is most appropriate.
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Clicker Substitute

Post by Caramomo »

I have used a clicker with Mo and found it great for helping with training, however Cara is scared of the noise, whenever I use it for work with Mo Cara disappears into the furthest possible room. I have tried desensitising her to it, starting with the clicker under the sofa cushions so I could barely hear it and it was nowhere near as sharp a noise; same result, she bolted upstairs and into her crate.

I then had the bright idea to start introducing a whistle to their recall as the word command is being viewed more as an option than requirement! Peeped it in the house and Cara doesn't like that either, I tried supper quiet, barely producing any noise and back to her crate she went, so I can't use that for either clicker training or recall as it seems to have the opposite affect!

I have tried using the classic clicker replacement that is the word 'good' spoken really quickly and whilst she is fine with that my timing is absolutely appaling so kinda making me a useless clicker trainer, but I am fine with the clicker in my hand.

Based on this I would like to find something small that I can carry about that makes a short noise, preferably not too loud, that I can use for clicker training with Cara. I am at a loss as to an altenative so thought I would ask you brainboxes if you had any ideas that would make me feel really dim for not thinking of something so obvious!

So, anybody got any thoughts?
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
Oskypops

Re: Clicker Substitute

Post by Oskypops »

How about clicking your fingers? That would also have the benefit of not having to worry about where you last put the clicker when they do something good. Although would it (a) be a consistent enough noise and (b) not be scary for Cara?
Richard - Daddy to Oscar (p/s standard), Harvey (liver and white GSP) and Buttons (wannabe Rottweiler - although actually a Norfolk Terrier, Jack Russell cross)
MattW

Post by MattW »

Try using a pen (one that clicks open and shut) I don't believe they are as loud as normal clickers.
Caramomo
Site Admin

Post by Caramomo »

See, you both managed it, heres me reading your posts going "of course, DOH!"

I'll do the 'Cara Test' with both these sounds tonight, now where did I put those treats..... (giggle)
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
blackgiant

Post by blackgiant »

How about the lid from a jar e.g. a jam jar? The sort you should check before you buy to make sure it's sealed.
They have a soft click
Cath in Christchurch
living with
Lottie -Giant P&S
Heidi -Giant Black
Troy -Standard P&S
Suzy - Honorary Schnauzer (aka Standard Poodle)
Arran - Bearded Collie - another Honorary Schnauzer
Clover - Bearded Collie - yet another Honorary Schnauzer
BBG
First Name: Gerri
Dog #1: Rufus
is a: Black Giant Dog
Dog #2: Eva
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Dog #3: Blaze
is a: Black Mini Dog

Post by BBG »

Our trainer taught us to use 'yes', which is what I still use with Rufus. It's short. I know 'good' is short too, but 'yes' has a definite finish without making it two syllables(sp)

Just a thought, and no need to tell me if I'm talking bull...!
Snazy
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Tara
Born: 09 Sep 1998
Dog #2: Fria
is a: White Mini Bitch
Born: 15 Apr 2012
Dog #3: Vala
Born: 28 Feb 2012

Post by Snazy »

a clicky pen is the usual substitute if the 'quiet' clickers are still to noisy for her.

Or you can make a click with your mouth (as you might to a horse)
'Pedigree indicates what the animal should be
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be
But performance indicates what the animal is'

Anonymous

Beanara Minature & Giant Schnauzers
black beard
First Name: Donna
Dog #1: Heidi
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 16 Mar 2010
Dog #2: Dita
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 28 Jun 2011
Dog #3: Ruddi
Born: 21 Apr 2013
is a: Black Std Dog

Post by black beard »

I think the click with your mouth is the best as then you have both hands free.
Heidi: Black Standard born 16/3/10
Dita: Black Standard born 28/6/11
Ruddi: Black Standard born 21/4/13
Guinevere
First Name: Sharon
Dog #1: Arthur
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 28 Dec 2009

Post by Guinevere »

I have found using yes in a certain voice works for us. i always get to tangled with clicker, lead, treats. I cant muli task
Snazy
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Tara
Born: 09 Sep 1998
Dog #2: Fria
is a: White Mini Bitch
Born: 15 Apr 2012
Dog #3: Vala
Born: 28 Feb 2012

Post by Snazy »

you don't need treats in your hand when clicker training - and if you are at home you don't use a lead. I usually have the treats on the bench or if in class in a pocket handy to reach after the click.
'Pedigree indicates what the animal should be
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be
But performance indicates what the animal is'

Anonymous

Beanara Minature & Giant Schnauzers
tombaker
First Name: Tom
Dog #1: Obi
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Jul 2010
Dog #2: Louis
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 11 Oct 2011

Post by tombaker »

I use 'good' when I'm about and about mainly because of the strange looks I got off passersby when I was using a clicker box. Do you have a smartphone or a certain fruit based device? If you do you could always download a clicker app and then you have control of the volume. Maybe start it off on its lowest setting and then slowly build the volume up?
Obi - P/S Mini 27/07/2010 - The start of my addiction!
Louis - P/S Mini 11/10/2011 - Because Schnauzers are like Pringles....one is never enough!
Claire Farrington
First Name: Claire

Post by Claire Farrington »

tombaker wrote:I use 'good' when I'm about and about mainly because of the strange looks I got off passersby when I was using a clicker box. Do you have a smartphone or a certain fruit based device? If you do you could always download a clicker app and then you have control of the volume. Maybe start it off on its lowest setting and then slowly build the volume up?
[dog5] I think the downloadable apps is an excellent idea as most of us always have our mobiles with us. I have just downloaded it onto my i phone so will let you know how I get on with it especially with being able to turn the volume up and down.
Properly Trained a man can be a dog's best friend

Sydney (Deansgate) gone to the Rainbow Bridge 19/04/2011 - Run free my little man
Jack (Silversocks Spot On) s/p mini born 10/04/2011
Jill (Silversocks Shana) s/p mini born 11/05/2011
Caramomo
Site Admin

Post by Caramomo »

You can get electronic ones? I never new that.

We tried the finger click last night and Cara just kept on snoozing on the sofa, so that is a good result. I was a little concerned I wouldn't be able to reproduce it repeatedly (I can't whistle for love or money and wondered if this would be the same). I think I am gonna go with the finger click and keep the pen, jar lid and app as reserve ideas.

Thanks all for your help.