Best place for dog equipment

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
scoobydoobie
Puppy
First Name: louise

Best place for dog equipment

Post by scoobydoobie »

It looks like we may have found a pup to bring home at the end of June!!! As we are new owners, I wonder if anyone can recommend the best place to buy equipment please? All the usual bits plus we'd like to crate train so a cage too, advice needed on what size to get please!

Many thanks

Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Best place for dog equipment

Post by Dawnspell »

My best friends eBay and Amazon still come in very useful for doggy stuff.

What size schnauzer ?

Don't spend a fortune on toys, fancy collars, harness, leads. Here's why, he/she will love things like plant pots, plastic bottles, old socks with a knot tied in it, chasing anything that moves. They grow so quick you will be buying a few collars, heavier weight leads before its full grown.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"

mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Hi,

We have a 7 month old Mini-Schnauzer and we bought our crate/bed and 'child-gate' from Amazon - I bought a 30" Ellie Bo crate with Ellie Bo dog bed - this is a good size for our boy with room to stretch out. Child gates are worth considering if there is an area that you want to keep your puppy in or out of. Please make sure if you have a garden that you do a couple of 'reccies' to make sure it's escape proof. I bought wooden garden stakes and loads of garden wire (secure to the pegs with U nails) and metal pegs (to secure to the ground) to ensure there were no escape areas.

In terms of toys, we bought loads for Oscar and he does play with them all but his constant favorite, is an empty plastic milk bottle (which we replace periodically). *We always thoroughly rinse the bottle and take the label off. I think he loves the way it makes a sound, so it can be quite noisy especially on a tiled floor, plus it's good for his teeth in terms of biting. As a previous poster said, old socks tied together are also a good one to go with.

The Kong range of toys are supposed to be good but Oscar prefers soft toys and has never really got on with the Kong stuff.

The one thing I would say is take plenty of pictures and videos. You will be really surprised how quick they grow and get bigger and having those pictures and videos to look back on are priceless.

Good luck!

mysti1990
Puppy
First Name: Molly
Dog #1: Toto
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 03 Oct 2014

Post by mysti1990 »

I bought a stairgate & a crate from a carboot sale (obviously I disinfected it well) & found a second stairgate on Freecycle. I think everything else was from Amazon & eBay. I enjoyed browsing round pet shops for ideas but tended to do most of my actual buying online as it was better value.

Don't buy expensive collars, harnesses, leads etc as your puppy will grow surprisingly quickly. Once they're fully grown you can invest in better quality stuff.

In terms of toys, I went completely overboard & bought far more than Toto would ever use! I also discovered too late things like he has no interest in balls. So don't buy too much as you can always add to their toy collection when you find out what they like best.

Have fun :)

Eddie
First Name: Graham

Post by Eddie »

If you want to "touch and feel" you should go to your nearest "Pets at Home".
If you know what you want you will find that eBay is fine. I have bought a lot of stuff on line and never had a problem (except for a dodgy SD card a few years ago).
Graham, Judie, Eddie (19-03-07 to 25-07-12), Mouse, Daisy and little Reilly. Image

Jason
Puppy
First Name: Jason

Post by Jason »

eBay and Amazon are brilliant

I also like ZooPlus online store, their prices are really low and you get free postage when you spend a certain amount

Jase

Gina

Post by Gina »

I buy my crates direct from the company below as I found them much cheaper - good quality. We have four for the one pup :). One at home, one at my friend's for when I am in work, one in the caravan and a car crate as well.

My top tip (gleaned from forum members when I was a total puppy novice) is whichever size you buy reduce the size inside for a puppy. I used a plastic pedal bin which was covered with a sheet. The reason for this is that dogs don't like to wee in their beds so you are less likely to have accidents. Also to completely cover the crate with a fleece blanket or a large towel to make it into a "den" or a safe place for your pup to be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

Gina

Post by Gina »

:) http://www.only-dog-cages.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

MiniSchnauzerNewby
Puppy
First Name: Liz
Dog #1: Martha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 03 May 2015

Post by MiniSchnauzerNewby »

We bought almost everything from pet planet online, it was really reasonably priced! Especially if you want a puppy pen. Ice cubes and frozen carrots are fab for a teething pup. Hope that helps.

Liz