Puppy biting - sympathy

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Puppy biting - sympathy

Post by mikegoodson1 »

I now have real sympathy for all those mini-Schnauzer owners who have posted over the last 18 months about their puppy biting during the teething stage.

Our boy Oscar, never really did this and if he did, a loud "ouch" would soon stop him and so when I saw people posting about biting, I always thought "What's the problem"..... not so now!

Our new puppy/tiger/diva (Sasha) is a biting/nipping machine. We have teething toys/socks/empty milk bottles etc that we encourage her to bite instead of our toes/fingers/nose/neck/ears etc........

So I just wanted to put it out there that I apologise for any smug answers over the last 18 months about biting, we are certainly feeling the force of it now!

Apart from that she is a real character and completely fearless which I am guessing she is picking up from our two year old boy. After day 5 she was running around our garden exploring all the nooks and crannies, barking at the slightest noise and has navigated climbing up our stairs (two flights) to get up to our bedroom (although she has not managed to get down yet, so cries until rescued).

Anyway, our boy is starting to adjust and now plays with her and on the odd occasion, allows her to sleep next to him (see pic below).

Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Re: Puppy biting - sympathy

Post by Robin black mini »

I'm grinning as I read your post..the bit about climbing the stairs at such a young age...Deja vu..
We too thought we wouldn't need to close the installed stair gate until at least a month after Robins arrival..she was so tiny each step as tall as she was..the very day day she arrived home she startled us by running up the stairs like a rat out of a trap...who'd have thunk? Gate closed.
Your girl sounds the perfect compliment to your gentle boy( we have a gentle giant here ) and I truely believe this is a match made in heaven..
Our girl is so confident I've yet to find a fear trigger, for her...thunderstorms,tractors,cattle or racing bikes passing at a meter distance ,six lane city traffic...nothing fazes this one, and she exhudes confidence to my gentle boy..
Re the biting..mine used to growl and bite the grooming tools..I used my stern voice and then praise ..but she was never an ankle biter thank goodness.
nickynoo
Puppy
First Name: Nicky

Re: Puppy biting - sympathy

Post by nickynoo »

Its a little reassuring that this happens to experienced owners too. Our boy is so sweet now at 8 months old, but as a "nipper" he was voracious. He is still partial to bare feet, but thankfully he is not hanging off my trousers at every opportunity. As they say "this too will pass" but joking aside, it was a difficult time with those razor sharp milk teeth and im glad they grow out of it!! How adorable is that photo of your two though! Butter wouldnt melt....