5 year old does not like new puppy

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
Puffin1
First Name: Paula

5 year old does not like new puppy

Post by Puffin1 »

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum, joined as I would love some advice/reassurance. I have a 5 year old miniature called Alfie and have recently added Millie to our family, also a miniature and now 11 weeks old, she has been with us for 3 weeks. We thought long and hard about getting another one as didn’t want to risk upsetting the equilibrium! Alfie is a lovely boy, affectionate and generally well behaved but has always been a slightly shy and anxious dog (quirky is a good word to describe him). He does enjoy playing with other dogs when we are out on walks and has a couple of very good schnauzer friends but has never been very good with other dogs coming into our house and is quite territorial. As I say, we took a long time to reach our decision and I read extensively on the best way to introduce them.
We chose Millie as she seemed extremely laid back and calm, her mum was the same. She has settled in like a dream, crate trained, toilet trained within 2 days. We introduced them on neutral territory (on the green outside our house) and made sure that Alfie had plenty of space and safe places to escape to.
3 weeks in and he just doesn’t seem to like her at all, I am feeling really despondant and don’t feel like we are really making any progress. He avoids her if he can and growls if she gets too close. Sometimes I think we are getting there as he sits happily in the same room as her as long as she keeps her distance, other times he barks at her and gets really funny when she is playing at the other end of the room minding her own business. He is better when he is out in the garden with her.I feel I have mostly done the right thing, I have made sure to give Alfie lots of extra fuss, praised him and treated when he is calm around her (or just not reacting). I have made sure that everyone (hubby and teenagers and visitors) greet Alfie first and make a fuss of him before acknowledging Millie. He gets fed and walked first and I am making sure she gets lots of sleep time in her crate so he has time to relax. I have been feeling a bit on edge when they are together and am aware he is possibly picking up on that so have been trying so hard to relax. Today he was sat on the sofa and she came running up and tried to jump up to see him. He started growling and barking so I told her firmly to get down and took her down myself. When she jumped up a second time he was calmer so I treated him, told her to get down again and she did exactly what she was told (she realised there were treats involved!) She then got a treat herself. I then treated him and praised him as he was sat calmly watching her play and not reacting. I think it is a work in progress and I am determined to succeed. Millie seems happy, confident and is learning really quickly. I am just finding it really hard work. My husband is really laid back and thinks that they are doing fine and that it is just going to take some time. I would love some reassurance from anyone else who has been in the same boat. I joined the forum and read through a few posts and saw lots of people saying how their dogs were soulmates within 24 hours!
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: 5 year old does not like new puppy

Post by zeta1454 »

Welcome to the Forum :)

Despite the posts you have read about dogs becoming soul mates with a new arrival in a day or so, there really is no predictable time scale for a resident dog to accept / enjoy the company of a young "sister" or "brother". Dogs are as individual as people in how they react to others and can be overjoyed when a new puppy joins the family or can take weeks or months to be relaxed with them. It is impossible to explain to a resident dog that the puppy has come to stay and, however the introductions are managed, the dynamics of the household will change when a new individual joins the "pack".

It sounds as though you are doing everything right and you just need to relax and resign yourself that it may take longer than you had hoped for Alfie to warm to Millie. We all have a mental picture of how we hope and foresee the family to be when a puppy arrives including how our resident dog/s will love their new playmate. Sometimes it does all work out exactly as we planned but not always. Our first mini schnauzer girl never really bonded with our second mini girl (a re-homed 2 year old) although she gradually accepted her as part of our family but she was actually much more happy with our third mini (boy) who did come to us as a puppy. Our mini schnauzer boy, seven years later, bonded almost immediately with our affen puppy...it really is unpredictable.

Try not to worry, just continue to keep to your routines with Alfie and ensure (as you are doing) that he has safe places to get away from Millie when he needs to but allow him to see her playing and, if he is happy to be with her in the garden, supervise them together outside. I am sure it will work out just fine and Alfie just needs time to get to know his new sister better :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Quote zeta...
"Try not to worry, just continue to keep to your routines with Alfie and ensure (as you are doing) that he has safe places to get away from Millie when he needs to but allow him to see her playing and, if he is happy to be with her in the garden, supervise them together outside. I am sure it will work out just fine and Alfie just needs time to get to know his new sister better :)"

I Absolutely agree ...
You are spot on track,just give things time and always put your established dog first..continue as you are doing..
This will resolve in short order,could take a few weeks or a couple of months..

In addition,I also like to give the pup the " place " command...eg..I put down a soft cover when I am doing something with the other dog..eg the pup goes there( at first with a chew )..later just goes there and flops down to sleep.
eg.if I groom...or I bath the other dog.......( vital for me with a st. poodle whose grooming needs are intensive)I may place a soft towel on the bathroom floor,then afterwards I put a cover down on the grooming room floor..but the essential thing is pup comes along on the whole procedure..and she always has her place to go..
In time the pup likes to go to her place ,to be included and watch the goings on...I don't crate,I just say place and the pup seems to know its a good place to be.its such a simple command to learn but so useful for so many situations.
Puffin1
First Name: Paula

Post by Puffin1 »

Thank you both for your replies, some good advice there. As the week has gone on Alfie has started to relax a bit around Millie and even instigated a small play a couple of times. I am starting to see we will get there eventually and am very relieved! Thanks again.
Riesen16
First Name: Gillian
Dog #1: Enya von Amber
is a: P/S Giant Bitch
Born: 30 Sep 2015

Post by Riesen16 »

Hi,

We always had males so it was always "touch and go". It worked out well. Our Briard, 14 months was absolutely delighted to get the Fila Brasileiro puppy and to teach him all he knew. They were best companions their whole lives.

Some dogs are nervous around puppies. It maybe that this is so with your dog. When the pup is a bit older, it will probably right itself.

Gill
TSITSIRIDES
Puppy
First Name: Joyce

Post by TSITSIRIDES »

Hi there,
I have a 10week old miniature who is very tiny, also 3 Yorkies aged 7, 6 and 5 also a 13 year old rescue from Cyprus. I thought she would be accepted straight away as she so small, it nooooo. One of my Yorkies seems petrified of her the other definitely not keen and growls if she gets too close, the smallest yorkie will play with her briefly but avoids her at other times. My old girl seems oblivious about her luckily and only growls if she gets too close and chews her leg!! I feel sorry for them as they spend most of the time now on the back of the sofa. The puppy has settle down in well but it feels like the whole dynamic has completely changed. I know it's very early days so I will persevere and hopefully they'll accept her. My old girl has never been keen on the last female yorkie I got who is now 5 but they are fine togetherness just not that loving. I'm exhausted...... forgot how hard it is having a baby in he house.
Lorfal
Puppy
First Name: lorraine

Post by Lorfal »

Appreciate this is an older thread, but valuable none the less. I feel reassured having read all the advice given, and I am hoping everything has worked out for everyone. We have had lupin , a mini for almost a week, and think we can see light at the end of the tunnel as far as her and our cockapoos getting on. One is a little intolerant of her round the house but plays with her in the garden. The other seems positively aggressive at times.

Naturally we never leave Lupin alone at any time and discourage her from pestering her. We have gone from assuming the worst might happen and we will need to rehome her, to realising it is more than likely going to be ok in time.

I’m afraid we’ve gone from worrying about her acceptance to fretting over wether we can cope with her temper tantrums. All pups should carry a mental health warning lol.

Interested to find out how’s all going with everyone’s issues on the thread......and Thankyou
Tarag76
First Name: Tara

Post by Tarag76 »

Hey all, I'm Tara and new here. I've owned many miniature schnauzers over the last 15 years. But I never had a hard time getting two to bond until today. I also have a rescue this time around which I never had before. He's 5 and we just brought home a mini puppy and it's a female. He was so jealous and angry and aggressive at first. It's been only a couple hours but he's already less aggressive in his stance. We've taken them for a small walk down the street which helped enormously. For now though, we're keeping them in separate rooms at bedtime. Until they've acclimated. Any suggestions I would greatly appreciate. BTW, Duke, our rescue, was definitely neglected and abused. He's attached to my hip and I'm his everything as he is mine. This puppy we got is from a breeder and was going to be kept as the next momma for breeding but they fell on hard times and had to sell her. That's how we got her today. I'm praying that in time they can bond. Unfortunately she's in her teething stage so Duke thinks she's trying to bite us and hurt us. She's not of course. Oh I forgot to mention that we believe Duke is approximately 5 years old. We had a second schnauzer up until last July. We had to put him to sleep which was devastating. They, too, got along but barely. We figured he'd do better with a girl that's why we chose a female this time. Duke gets along with female dogs at the dog park so I'm hoping it'll just take time, patience and lots of care.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Tara and welcome to the Forum :)

There is always going to be some uncertainty when you introduce a new dog or puppy into a household with another dog as to how well they will get on together. Not all dogs like all other dogs and some can struggle to cope with a puppy - their exuberance, teething, playfulness etc. This is almost always going to be more of a challenge for a dog that has been badly treated in the past and whose history you don’t really know with regard to other dogs /puppies especially. The fact that Duke has bonded so strongly with you will also affect how well he deals with having to share your attention and presence.

You are probably best keeping the two apart in one way or another until Duke becomes more relaxed with having the puppy around. You don’t have to always use separate rooms as you do want to get Duke and the puppy used to each other’s company but just make sure they are never left alone together and that when you are with them they are supervised closely. A playpen or crate for the puppy when you cannot watch her through the day can help to keep her apart from Duke while he is getting to know her.

It is hard to predict whether the two of them will become best buddies as the puppy matures. They certainly may do and it would be really good for them both to have that bond but do be prepared that Duke may prefer tolerance to closeness with your new arrival. Patience, love and care are most important as you say and I am sure that things will improve more as time passes. Do keep us posted on the Forum of their progress and it would be lovely to see photos of Duke and the new puppy too.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/