Squealer!

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Squealer!

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Sasha is coming up to 4 months old now and is SUCH a character. I have started letting her off the lead for short periods when out walking with Oscar over fields, she is very good and always comes back to me when I call (although usually she doesn't stray too far from me anyway).

A few pictures below.

Anyway, my question is this. Sasha goes to puppy social club and puppy obedience so meets loads of other dogs on these events {mainly puppies) and out walking but if she meets a big dog, by that I mean large Lab etc she first grows at it. I guess to warn it off her, then if it comes closer and tries to play she lets out a real high-pitched squeal, like a little pig and runs back to me and climbs up my leg for me to pick her up. She is shaking at this point and seems distressed/scared. Oscar never seemed to suffer with this. I aim to try and get her to approach these dogs with me, to build her confidence but I wondered if anyone else's MS does the same.

Thanks.
AnnieMoon
First Name: Annie
Dog #1: Harriet
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Oct 2017

Re: Squealer!

Post by AnnieMoon »

Ohhhh they are so beautiful and lovely!!! And they are lucky they have those landscapes to walk around!!
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Re: Squealer!

Post by jacdales »

Hamish used to be like that with people. Suzi now 7 months will run back to us if she hears loud noises or the neighbours 2 schnauzers barking. We usually carry on as if nothing has occurred or tell her to find Hamish. He was more of a problem I was told by a dog trainer never to force him into a socializing situation it would make him worse. Best ignore him and walk him away or distract him but not with a treat so as not to encourage the behavior. Suzi has not been out for any big country walks yet as we have a large garden for her to run around in. Come summer she will be a year old and ready to tackle a big country walk and picnic.