which food & treats for puppy

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
happy_schnappy
First Name: Menna
Dog #1: Kiki
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 28 May 2018

Re: which food & treats for puppy

Post by happy_schnappy »

Hi all, Kiki's been with us for a month now and we love her to bits. Will write more on a different thread about how it's going, along with some pics!

She came with a supply of Royal Canin which I gradually changed to Pure as recommended by Leigh. She loves it. In fact, it turns out she loves anything!! I know what you mean about the consistency Leigh, and in fact I called them up when I first opened the pack to check it was meant to be that powdery!

So while she's happy with Pure, I'm wondering what to give her for her teeth. I got a Guru bone at the pet shop which she ate over 3 days (it's cold pressed and a complete meal, shaped like a bone). Is there anything else I could give her to chew on - I see lots of chews but I'm worried that when they get to a certain size she will swallow it because she's such a gannet and choke.

Guru do a kibble type thing, do you think it would be a good idea to get her some of this? So that I could maybe do Pure for breakfast and dinner, and kibble style for lunch?

She eats her food in a matter of seconds so something that would last a bit longer would be great!
In the meantime
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi there, I give Otto Everest Yak chews. They are totally natural, come from Nepal and made from Yak milk. They are really good for teeth and don't leave a sticky mess either and there is no odour. I find Otto has a good chew for about an hour and then gets tired, he is a really good chewer and still only can get tiny bits off at a time. I take it away and give it again in a few days so they last quite some time. When they get small enough to be a concern I throw it away or you can microwave and it goes into a puffy crunch so it is all edible. Please check the age though and store them appropriately because they can get brittle and then larger bits might be chewed off. I found them when he was about 6/7 months old and although they are a bit more expensive than other chews they are much healthier and last a long time. Split antlers are also good for Kiki's age but not all dogs are bothered with them. They should keep her occupied and won't break.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Sorry forgot to say, get the medium size Yak chew if you are interested. They are exactly the right size for a schnauzer.
happy_schnappy

Post by happy_schnappy »

Thanks Julie, I'll look them up. Do general pet stores do them or do you order them online?
Will try the antler too
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

I get my Yak chews from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Everest-Dog-Ch ... B07CG255F4 and the split antlers (ideal for teething pups) I got from one of the large pet stores as it is best to see them and find one with as much marrow on it as poss because that is what the pup will like. Go for small size antler.
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

My two have the split antlers and they go crazy for them, chewing/gnawing them for ages. Funnily enough I bought them two new ones yesterday and it kept them entertained all day, off and on. Highly recommended :)
happy_schnappy

Post by happy_schnappy »

Thank you, I'll pop over to pet shop later for an antler and will order the other stuff in. Thanks. Quite excited to give her something new to try! She does love her food!