Fencing - how high

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
Kazzi
First Name: Karen

Fencing - how high

Post by Kazzi »

We will be picking up our Mini in a couple of weeks & are securing our garden. Its large so we're planning to section part off with wire fencing around hedging & picket fencing on the grass area. Is a picket fence tall enough to contain a MS when grown? We'll use netting to block the gaps in the fence whilst she's little too - or am I being naïve & really need a more secure barrier & use wire fencing all around?
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Fencing - how high

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi Karen

We used a picket fence to section off our garden with our first schnauzer. When he was little the picket fence obviously was a lot higher to him and impossible for him to jump so I found that he got used to that fact that he couldn't get over it. Even when full grown he never attempted to get over it. I think the fence was about 3/4ft high. We plugged the gaps with wire also for when he was small enough to get through.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

1 meter 20 cm minimum for us..about four ft,would give peace of mind.
My garden is fenced with 1.5 to 2 m fencing( rigid wire ,plastic covered panels..because we also have a larger breed who could jump like a deer if they wished. In the front we have metal railings.
1.5 m total ht. Ie rail and base wall...there I had to consider the gap between the rails..
These little dogs can jump surprisingly high if they want..they can be very determined..having said that,she's never tried to jump out of our garden.
I have child safety gates on our stairs,we brought in our eight week pup and I didn't think I'd need the gate..on day one,she "disappeared "and I found her upstairs ,the stair steps were higher than she was,but they are determined dogs. We still use the gate today as I have four floors to my home and like to contain the dogs on the floor we are on,so I know where they are..
She has never tried to jump the stair gate as an adult,but she could if she wanted to...
In the bath ,for example,she can jump straight out when she wants...that surprised me.. That's the height of a picket fence..

I would say if you can afford to fence the garden do it now and go for it,these tiny pups
will be adult size in just months( 10 m) so sooner rather than later would give you peace of mind.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

I'm convinced Barney is part springbok. He can jump vertical into OH arms from standing start and he's over 6ft. He can jump straight onto grooming table landing on all four paws no problem. When we're out he regularly has to jump up on top of 4ft high earth banks to be safe from passing cars.Yet we have a 3ft high chicken wire fence round the patio that he could easily clear and never has. I think its the fact he can see through it and there's no rigid top.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Kazzi

Post by Kazzi »

Useful info thanks. I am surprised at how much your guys can jump, very impressive!
Yes we're definitely going to go ahead with the fencing just needing to decide on full wire or have the grass part picket. I'm leaning towards full wire now which will be slightly higher at 1.2m, she's not expected to be big for a mini but if she has springy legs who knows! We can always grow some plants in front to blend it a bit nicer.
Robin black mini

.I've grown jasmine and variegated ivy on my panels..great screens and pretty .

Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

That looks pretty and I bet it smells devine. I grew a lot of Dama de Noche or Lady of the Night in Spain. Beautiful smell, wish I could grow it here.

High five to Stanley's ears they are amazing and he is an unusual colour, he would compliment my kitchen, is he grey(ish) with pink tinges or is that my computer.
Robin black mini

Thanks Julie..it does smell wonderful and a bonus is its evergreen..I don't think the Spanish plant would take the freezing winters here..the mountains you see are the alps and we live in the valley at the foot of them..I will look up that plant though,it sounds lovely.
Re stans ears..the grey / silver poodle is born black and the colour dilutes as the dog matures..Stans ears are the last part to change over,he's a late bloomer as they can be completely silver by two and he will be six this year.lthe "pink "is actually brown hair turning grey..
With his mom
Four months
And five

Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

They are stunning photos and what a difference from the second to the third photo. He was incredibly cute at 4 months.
Kazzi

Post by Kazzi »

Jo that's exactly what I was thinking of growing through the fencing too. I have jasmine elsewhere in the garden & the smell is amazing. Your garden looks fantastic & what an amazing background.
I never knew about that colour change in a poodle (admittedly I don't know anything about poodles :D) quite a difference
Robin black mini

KAzzi...there are many lovely climbers..for the first few years we had climbing roses..but we wanted an evergreen screen so moved on to jasmine and variegated ivy..in winter,which for two months can be very cold here ,we cover with muslin or plastic (in the early years whilst the plant establishes)....a bonus,it's easy to cut..I use an electric hedge trimmer and cut after flowering which is twice yearly..fences don't have to be boring at all.
The garden is small at the back and front..we tiled due to the heat..we pay for water on a meter here so the tiling is easy to keep clean and disinfected..lawns don't do so well with heat and female dog wee...I've put lots of raised beds with robust bushes ..roses,lots of lavender,variegated box and euonymus, small holly bushes,hydrangea in the shade ,quince and ornamental Apple too...so easy to keep on top of and dog safe.
Kazzi

Post by Kazzi »

Sounds like a really lovely garden Robin. You mention hydrangea & dog friendly, I thought that was a No plant for dogs - although we have several that we really like & had hoped to keep & just watch pup like a hawk to see if she's a plant taster!
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Karen, the important thing is to know which are toxic and then keep your eyes on your pup. We have lupins and hydrangeas in our garden, any part of a lupin is toxic, but apart from box hedge, a tulip bulb, holly leaves and blue spruce which Otto has eaten in small amounts and are toxic, Otto has kept away from other stuff. I found that Otto was very interested in stuff I was planting in the garden so if I left pots with plants in on the ground waiting for them to be planted and turned my back the next thing I saw was a black flash with a white bottom running away with a plant in his mouth and all the compost flowing behind.
Kazzi

Post by Kazzi »

:)) :)) :)) that's a fantastic image!!
Thanks again for the advice
Robin black mini

Kazzi wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 17:47 Sounds like a really lovely garden Robin. You mention hydrangea & dog friendly, I thought that was a No plant for dogs - although we have several that we really like & had hoped to keep & just watch pup like a hawk to see if she's a plant taster!
Mine never attempted to eat the established bushes so we left them"....I did however use plastic veg.crates to block certain plants off...easy to remove and switch around,they are a very useful tool for the pups first year.
The worst temptation for my pup was tiny stones on the soil surface which she would gulp..I used to Hoover the soil surface with a wet dry vacc to remove any gravel..this got better after ten months of age..
I did dig up all my lily beds.....as they are irresistible for pups and very toxic.
Also as a keen sewer,I had to be careful to not drop any pins on my floor...........these too were irresistible for my pup..
The things they will chew on and swallow are surprising...you have to keep your floors clean and eyes open.